Mobil 1 0W-20 in the MDX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not been hesitant before to note my experience with Mobil 1 when folks have asked, and how noisy it (M1 5W-20) made an OHV V-6 engine I used to have. But I also said that I had 10 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 stockpiled on the shelf for my Toyota Camry, and I'd report back when I used it.

I decided to pour 5 of the quarts into our recently-acquired 2005 Acura MDX last night, and honestly, I'm LOVING that oil in that engine. I drove it around for all of 5 minutes after putting the oil in, but I swear the engine is quieter and smoother than ever before. I paired the oil with a PureOne PL14610 and I think that'll be the combo that I use going forward. Especially if ExxonMobil starts retailing the 0W-20 in 5-quart jugs.

I've been using Mobil 1 0W-30 in my Frontier and love it as well. Quick starts in very cold weather, smooth and quiet engine. Also using the same filter you are..Pure One 14610. Seems like an excellent combination.

I'd also give M1 EP 5w20 a shot too if you ever get the chance. Those come in 5 quart jugs and you'll have a different experience compared to the regular M1 5w20

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
I'd also give M1 EP 5w20 a shot too if you ever get the chance. Those come in 5 quart jugs and you'll have a different experience compared to the regular M1 5w20

What do you mean by that?

(Good point that it comes in jugs, so is cheaper compared with the 0W-20 AFE by-the-quart.)

Originally Posted By: cchase
I've noticed much quieter operation with M1 0w20 over M1 5w20 as well.

What application? I was not impressed with the M1 5W-20 in the least, but I'm really liking this 0W-20. To be fair, I ran the 5W-20 in a Chrysler 3.8L V-6, and the 0W-20 is in a Honda 3.5L V-6, but still.

I'd like to run it in the Toyota's 2.5L I-4 also. If the dealer doesn't change the oil at the next free service visit, I'll change it myself and use the M1.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: cchase
I've noticed much quieter operation with M1 0w20 over M1 5w20 as well.

What application? I was not impressed with the M1 5W-20 in the least, but I'm really liking this 0W-20. To be fair, I ran the 5W-20 in a Chrysler 3.8L V-6, and the 0W-20 is in a Honda 3.5L V-6, but still.

I'd like to run it in the Toyota's 2.5L I-4 also. If the dealer doesn't change the oil at the next free service visit, I'll change it myself and use the M1.

My experience is in a Honda 3.0L V6.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: sangyup81

What do you mean by that?

(Good point that it comes in jugs, so is cheaper compared with the 0W-20 AFE by-the-quart.)

I mean that M1 EP 5w20 is a different oil and that problems with M1 5w20 will most likely not surface with M1 EP 5w20

tig1 who is probably the longest and most experienced user of M1 oils on this board has used M1 EP 5w20 rather than regular M1 5w20 before switching to 0w20

M1 EP is a great oil no doubt if you use that in a Honda engine it really will last, but M1 0w20 is good too. Two different categories IMO.

Side note: I drained some M1EP 5w20 from my civic and put it in a used milk jug (had rotten milk on the inside of the jug). I drained another oil I tried called Max 4, touted as a full syn. The M1EP cleaned the calcium deposits left on the side of the bottle and they sunk the other stuff didn't do any cleaning of the jug. I know that isn't a great experiment but it cleaned.

A week ago I did an OC on the Fusion and tried for the first time M1 0-20. Before that I used EP 5-30 at first. Johnny convinced me to try 5-20EP a year ago, and it works very well in both Duratechs. As I said I changed the Fusion to M1 0-20 and I must say it is very quite at cold start an with the engine hot as well. Both oils are great in the Fords and I plan to run the 0-20 for 10K as I do with all M1 oils.

i drive a 08 mazda 6 2.3l and i recently (500 mi ago) put M1 0w20 in it, on the other hand my wifes car 08 escape 2.3l (essentially same engine) mazda uses cartridge filter, ford uses spin on, im running Edge 5w20 in the ford. Ive gotta say the ford is way quiter and getting slightly btr mpgs, now ive always been an M1 fan, but this Edge seems to speak for itself, or not speak should i say! lol

Originally Posted By: tig1
Both oils are great in the Fords and I plan to run the 0-20 for 10K as I do with all M1 oils.

Mazda now recommends the 0w-20 oil for all 2011 Mazda 3 2.0 and 2.5 engines. 5w-20 is no longer recommended.

I am running 0w 20 in my Mazda 6 and also noticed immediate improvement in engine noise from the 5w-20 m1 that I used before. I am pleasantly surprised by it. I combined that with a k&n oil filter and my mpg went up by 2 in the city. I hear the 0w-20 uses a higher quality base oil. Don't know if thats true but that's all I will use from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back