Mobil 1 0w-20 API SN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently did an oil change on my 2011 Prius with Mobil 1 0w20, the API SN version.

The previous oil that I drained out was Toyota 0w20 with 8600 miles. A previous UOA I did showed the oil to still be serviceable after more than 10,000 miles, so I am certain that the oil was not "expired" by any means.

I am quite surprised by the very noticeable reduction in engine noise at idle and during hard acceleration in comparison to the Toyota 0w20. Previously, there was an audible rattle from the valvetrain at cold idle, and changing to Mobil 1 0w20 seems to have greatly reduced this.

The car has just over 49,000 miles on it. A Genuine Toyota Oil Filter was used on for both oils.

I never expected for an oil change to have such a noticeable difference in engine noise - who would've thought?

I posted nearly identical comments when I used Mobil 1 0W-20 SN in our CR-V:

My K24 loves M1 0W-20

Good oil, this Mobil 1. After trying other oils this year in our CR-V, and not being particularly happy with the noise from most of them, I will be going back to M1 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Noise reduction changing oil brands but not viscosity IMO is a good thing, flame suit on. I'd stick with the Mobil 1, JMO.

Good to see this. My Accord has the same symptoms you are describing in regards to valve train noise etc. The current fill is whatever 5W20 the dealer put in 2K miles ago.

I picked up 5 Qts of the M1 0W20 and a M1 filter at Pep Boys during their 30 buck special and plan on changing this Friday.

Hope to see the same results that others have mentioned. I'll report back and see if I noticed a difference

Goose

LOL , I havent had experience with this oil yet. It just sits in my stash, staring at me everyday, the 2 jugs .........

Must resist ....

The real kicker would be if it runs good in my Acura, then I will have "1 oil to service them all, 1 oil to lubricate them " :-D

I noticed the same thing with the 0w20/30 SN AFE oils. It's the only oil that completely silenced the noisy 2.4L on cold starts.

I've used the 0-20 for 2 years now in the Duratechs and find it to be outstanding, even in extreme hot temps like we had here last summer.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Interesting thread to follow since my CR-V ( 21k ) also has the cold start issue.

Try the 0w20 AFE.

Quote:
The previous oil that I drained out was Toyota 0w20 with 8600 miles. A previous UOA I did showed the oil to still be serviceable after more than 10,000 miles, so I am certain that the oil was not "expired" by any means.

I am quite surprised by the very noticeable reduction in engine noise at idle and during hard acceleration in comparison to the Toyota 0w20. Previously, there was an audible rattle from the valvetrain at cold idle, and changing to Mobil 1 0w20 seems to have greatly reduced this.

But but the Toyota is one of the lightest and has a high VI.
How can you say such a thing you heretic.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:

lol.gif

LMAO!!!!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:

lol.gif

LMAO!!!!

Me too.

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this...

The Duratec in my Tribute runs much better on AFE, and the 'ticking' that these engines often have is much less noticeable.

Now, if consumption goes down as well, I'll be thrilled!

I switched my Civic over to M1 0w20 from Toyota 0w20 at the beginning of this year and I didn't notice any difference in sound or feel of the engine, but of course every engine is going to be different.

I was planing on picking up some M1 EP 5w-20 with the pepboys special and extending to a 10K oci. After reading this I may opt for the M1 AFE 0w-20 instead. This would go in either my 00 grand marquis 4.6, or 04 Grand marquis 4.6, or the 05 santa fe 2.7, or 2010 SHO with the 3.5 ecoboost. any thoughts on which might be the better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back