Mobil 1 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: nap
Such a pity that the 0W20 didn't work that well for the rings too....

https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/excessive-oil-consumption-on-2az-fe-engine-lsc-ze7.362/

So you're saying that wouldn't have happened if they had used 5W-30 or thicker? I thought 0W-20 oil had to be made of high quality base stocks that were inherently more resistant to oxidation?

We will never know as Toyota wrote the manual in such a way as to discourage anyone from trying different weights than 0W20 and 5W20. Unless some brave bitoger here has actually done it and could testify.

We will never know as Toyota wrote the manual in such a way as to discourage anyone from trying different weights than 0W20 and 5W20. Unless some brave bitoger here has actually done it and could testify.

OK if you say so.

Methinks some people see the thin devil under every rock even when it is an obvious mechanical issue with a specific engine.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/threads/excessive-oil-consumption-on-2az-fe-engine-lsc-ze7.362/

So you're saying that wouldn't have happened if they had used 5W-30 or thicker?

No use in trying to pin him down. He is just stirring the pot here just as he did under previous stage names.

You can't "pin me down" since I haven't made any claim about 5W30. It's just you trying to claim that I have to "prove" something about something I haven't said.

On top of which you're again casting aspersions. Are you Gokhan's alias btw?

OK if you say so.

Methinks some people see the thin devil under every rock even when it is an obvious mechanical issue with a specific engine.

I see coincidences. The 2AZ-FE engine was used in Camrys from 2002 to 2009. Yet the ring issues were reported for the 2007-2009 models only. So what changed from 2006 to 2007?

One change was the recommended oil weight. See manuals below:

Originally Posted By: nat
So what changed from 2006 to 2007?

First year of a new generation Camry. So the whole car changed around the engine. Obviously some things were changed internally with the engine.

It had nothing to with the oil type or viscosity. My neighbor ran M1 5W-30 (recommended viscosity) and M1 EP oil filter on his Camry since the day he bought it and the ring wear and oil consumption came in no time, after a few 10k miles, later seen in his Blackstone UOA's, which I referred him to. It was a poor design with the rings and nothing else. There was some issue with the oil return holes not drilled in the correct place or something like that. How do you correct that by changing the oil viscosity? Some said that there was some issue with the return holes being clogged by deposits but then he was running M1 and I doubt that was the real culprit.

As some don't get it, these engines will run fine on any viscosity.

Originally Posted By: wemay

... and you talk about cherry picking? Lol

Such a pity thicker viscosity didn't work well for most of these...

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

Nope it wasn't me talking about cherry picking, please check the thread again.

My post was in reply to Galileo's "At the end of the day, Toyota and Lexus, for which 0W-20 (and soon 0W-16) is the standard, arguably have the most long-lasting engine bearings and engines of all ever!" which pretty much drives the conversation to Toyota / Lexus.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
It had nothing to with the oil type or viscosity. My neighbor ran M1 5W-30 (recommended viscosity) and M1 EP oil filter on his Camry since the day he bought it and the ring wear and oil consumption came in no time, after a few 10k miles, later seen in his Blackstone UOA's, which I referred him to. It was a poor design with the rings and nothing else. There was some issue with the oil return holes not drilled in the correct place or something like that. How do you correct that by changing the oil viscosity? Some said that there was some issue with the return holes being clogged by deposits but then he was running M1 and I doubt that was the real culprit.

The problem was indeed with the holes getting clogged with time, otherwise the engine would have consumed oil since day one on dealer's lot.

Some video footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdZSXOslDM

By moving to a different viscosity there's a lot more stuff that changes than just the SAE grade. Flashpoint, NOACK, resistance to thermal breakdown, etc.

Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
I'm probably wrong but there is a lot of talk about thin oil and bearings. I thought the main problems with thin (or any) oil were:

1. Piston, ring pack and liners where at least 40% of the engines friction and wear occur (along with a complicated lubrication regime).

2. Valve train that has the next highest friction percentage and different lubrication regimes.

3. Bearings where lubrication can be mixed. Most of the friction in bearings comes from the shearing of the oil.

You are pretty much correct, with the mention that rod bearings seem to be more affected than the crankcase ones. Most of the articles I've seen show that, when reducing HTHS, the engine parts start to be affected in the exact order you mentioned them.

Focusing on bearings is ignoring the elephant in the room. Aka continued issues with rings chez both Toyota and Honda, which otherwise are renowned for long lasting engines. And the use of 0W20.

Yep, main bearings just loaf along but big end bearings are a different story. Lots going on with them!

There goes the name calling again. What's wrong with this guy?
21.gif

He was told that my neighbor used M1 5W-30, which was PAO-based, a higher viscosity, very low-NOACK, very little oxidation, etc. and he's back to square one on 0W-20 being the culprit as if nothing has been explained to him.

21.gif

His hostility toward me started after I explained to him the cause behind the TEOST 33C exemption for 0W-16 and 0W-20 (it's the Japanese OEM's' desire to have 600 - 800 ppm moly in these oils):

9CWVQ5ZXE-gBZnLsKKGilv91XUd17zuzAjkw7xMwsPF1xSRnN5LntRM09HDVYXCgtEorSLk_d9Y1MTBFmqTEJhsI4Zr-LKjyXk_4-N7gQKsiPW6HuvFT-ARSPs_7bzhHdY3gl-JS5sWvx_ioMAWYvvFQo4-8TYkqqQhkWTz8i4IyLr0YwbOuHSCLjbRzVeNHNmjuEdvp2kWINNoGHsFjZTId6ErtZV69PwC01MIZy3hktaHrGzqkk_xyxSi_P0Yeqthffhv_ZVIm-tJTCXSyycxuv6yH1RRIM80KCRfC0fOCZ5hYr66zdPXAvT2gv8GnOuXqjUIYUCZO-nJPqLabHoNUG4me8YaSBOusvjmWztusVKISmdyvYuclLn5tF43jAcpF9I5OP3X-M7QcL_XHcbe1w7VSHMf6LUN95GJN9fSFI8C8e4L3lSXceGJ5e-0DQfCebr-6fCyfmXMlopiiNmfb3f3CkAbWcqOEo_yXodfWw8kpSCxVRqWtUbe_OKKpnSbvPiBZkkQqQ8unhDh13BosPcnbZdby2B0mNZYbp4gyy_A-5rtGg2G5RuF1HYvSACv70xQUOwfLYSYxPYiSf8QOtdTN4vOQl-wP6zWb=w729-h426-no

Yet, to this day, he refuses to understand this simple issue and insists that 0W-20 cannot past TEOST 33C because the base oil is too thin. This is despite the fact that 0W-30 and 0W-40 are made of the same base oil with more VII and they aren't exempt from TEOST 33C.

This simple thing escalated into a never-ending personal grudge by him and he keeps sending me the insults and calls me various names. It's only because I didn't make this false statement to him: "Yes, nap, you're absolutely right -- 0W-20 cannot pass TEOST 33C because it's made of a very thin base oil."

Some people will never understand things no matter how you explain it to them. He has a one-track mind made such that "0W-20 is bad. It's the mother of all evils." No matter what you say, his opinion won't change because he refuses to have a deep understanding of the subject and spends time on Google all day and then comes here to post tids and bits to justify his one-track mind.

Wow, but this thread did quickly become a thick versus thin one!
I'll throw in my two cents and note that as long as an engine's oil pump can supply enough oil to the mains that oil flow exceeds bearing side leakage then there is no question of loss of hydrodynamic lubrication.
Consider also that we now drive DBW throttled engines with electronically controlled autoboxes or CVTs, so there is no concern about lugging the engine.
Consider also that as anyone who has ever built an engine knows, that while the main bearings may be very free of asperities they are basically snapped into place while the much harder crank journals have always been very well machined. This means that any asperities in the bearing inserts will be quickly machined away after first engine run. The problems with very thin grades therefore have nothing to do with the crank bearings but rather probably more with the timing chains, skirt wear and ring wear.
Everyone here seems more focused on the main bearings, where you won't find the excess wear anyway.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Wow, but this thread did quickly become a thick versus thin one!
I'll throw in my two cents and note that as long as an engine's oil pump can supply enough oil to the mains that oil flow exceeds bearing side leakage then there is no question of loss of hydrodynamic lubrication.
Consider also that we now drive DWB throttled engines with electronically controlled autoboxes or CVTs, so there is no concern about lugging the engine.
Consider also that as anyone who has ever built an engine knows, that while the main bearings may be very free of asperities they are basically snapped into place while the much harder crank journals have always been very well machined. This means that any asperities in the bearing inserts will be quickly machined away after first engine run. The problems with very thin grades therefore have nothing to do with the crank bearings but rather probably more with the timing chains, skirt wear and ring wear.
Everyone here seems more focused on the main bearings, where you won't find the excess wear anyway.

Thanks for the good comment fdcg27. To add, the latest formulations of motor oil are addressing the timing chain issues so oils are improving. Today’s modern oils are excellent in performance no matter which grade one decides to run with.

21.gif

His hostility toward me started after I explained to him the cause behind the TEOST 33C exemption for 0W-16 and 0W-20 (it's the Japanese OEM's' desire to have 600 - 800 ppm moly in these oils)

OK, replying to yourself here is, IMHO, a small demonstration of what results in these exchanges going the way they do and you seemingly oblivious as to why, despite "explaining it" here.

Does it not strike you as odd that your discussions become so controversial, sometimes confrontational, whilst this doesn't seem to happen when other members author similar threads? Shannow has started numerous scientific discussions, as has Molakule, Dave Newton and Doug Hillary, yet they never seem to quite derail in this manner. This isn't because the subject matter is profoundly different, rather, it is the method in which things are approached and how the exchange percolates.

You are obviously quite intelligent and your out of the box thinking on some of this stuff is greatly appreciated, as it gets the rest of us thinking about things we perhaps otherwise wouldn't. But you need to remember that when engaging with people like Shannow for example, that you are among peers, not peons. When you talk down (perhaps unintentionally), pass off legitimate questions and contrary contributions as "strawmen" instead of considering them and generally come off a bit self-righteous, you are going to put people off and set the exchange as one with an offensive rather than collaborative tone. You've noted numerous times that you enjoy civil discourse, and I think most of us share that view, but you need to maintain an environment that is conducive to that, which I am of the opinion that you may not be on the same page as other members as to what that entails. Pushing the BQI as you have been, when the rest of us are obviously not embracing it, since the discussion is far from settled on it, isn't doing you any favours for example. Claiming the base oil makeup of a lubricant where there isn't even an SDS listing the potential base oil contents and instead using your BQI as the determining factor here, again, while it shows you to be keen and excited, turns others off because you've latched onto a concept, self-certified it and are pushing it like a street worker while refusing to allow it to be properly debated, which is the only way, IMHO, that it is going to gain the traction you so desire for it.

I thoroughly enjoy talking to you much of the time. Unfortunately, your previous interactions with Shannow have heavily jaded the tone of any current and future exchanges and thus a lot of what could be exciting and fruitful debate resulting in progress, knowledge transfer and valuable information for the board ends up becoming nothing more than mud slinging, deflection and then the thread dies. Often times, that same theme is picked up again in another thread, only to go down in flames in a similarly spectacular manner. It's a bit tiresome. Your unwillingness to entertain contrary ideas I think is part of the reason your interactions with nap have been so negative. It isn't that you've proven him wrong and he's unwilling to accept that, its the manner in which that whole topic was approached as I recall from reading it. It wasn't just him who was trying to debate it with you either as I remember it.

I'm not saying we all need to like each other and hold hands singing "Kumbaya". I am however saying that we perhaps need to do a little introspection as to how we can better interact here if we want our concepts to be discussed and our exchanges to be a success. I'm far, FAR from perfect in that regard myself, but I believe I have grown in that respect over the years, mellowed it out a bit and tried to be more receptive to contrary points of view and how I approach them. I believe that's made me a better member and I'm kindly asking you to consider doing the same.

OVERKILL, I appreciate your thoughts, which were expressed in a kind and constructive way. I mostly agree.

As you said none of us are perfect. I know how much you seriously offended and alienated some people here. You went to some details about me, which I mostly agree. Perhaps you don't know but Shannow has also been harsh and vulgar to me often but I'm sorry if I was harsh or unfair to him.

However, there are lines to be drawn here. nap's behavior is unacceptable. You or someone else having issues with me doesn't justify such behavior.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I nominate OVERKILL for BITOG diplomat / arbitrator.
grin2.gif

Maybe … but in my school he would not have been the only one going to the Principals Office … and one fellow in this thread (and many other threads ) knows right where it’s located …

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Twenty years in use and no reports of engine failures or premature wear. Thanks wemay for sharing that article.

Very short relative vehicular life expectancy in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back