Mobil 1 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent an email to Mobil and asked if they where go to have 0w-16 oil and the said it will be available in October. The MSDS say it will available as Mobil 1 and Mobil Super synthetic. It wil be API SN and SN Plus

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wonder when a high mileage version will come down the pike.

I'm sure in typical Mobil 1 fashion it won't be long before they have a 0w16 HM, 0w16 EP, 0w16 AP and then of course they'll need to add a 0w16 HM EP as well just for good measure. I love Mobil 1 but they really don't need to have 5 or 6 different versions of every viscosity they make.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman

I'm sure in typical Mobil 1 fashion it won't be long before they have a 0w16 HM, 0w16 EP, 0w16 AP and then of course they'll need to add a 0w16 HM EP as well just for good measure.

You forgot the AFE variant
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I doubt anyone with a high mileage car will run 0-16 junk.

Lol??? 0-20 is everywhere in almost every brand. 0-16 is around the corner

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wonder when a high mileage version will come down the pike.

I'm sure in typical Mobil 1 fashion it won't be long before they have a 0w16 HM, 0w16 EP, 0w16 AP and then of course they'll need to add a 0w16 HM EP as well just for good measure. I love Mobil 1 but they really don't need to have 5 or 6 different versions of every viscosity they make.
33.gif

I agree. For the longest time they avoided the 20 tier way...not anymore LOL.

Mobil 1 is following the same philosophy as Coca Cola. First there was just one Coca Cola, then they added Diet Coke and now there's an insane number of different combinations.

Mobil 1 is following the same philosophy as Coca Cola. First there was just one Coca Cola, then they added Diet Coke and now there's an insane number of different combinations.

You might say Amsoil has a few products as well

Originally Posted By: Dorian
I'm curious to see if any engines will be backspeced to run 0W-16.

Didn’t the newer Camry hybrids switch to 0w16?

I'm sure in typical Mobil 1 fashion it won't be long before they have a 0w16 HM, 0w16 EP, 0w16 AP and then of course they'll need to add a 0w16 HM EP as well just for good measure. Mobil 1...they really don't need to have 5 or 6 different versions of every viscosity they make.
33.gif

I agree with you, Patman. It is lamentable that fracturing the market increases profits so much.

I think you meant to say anyone with a car ...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Only thing I'd use 0W16 for would be to lube my electric razor.

lol even too thin for that!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Dorian
I'm curious to see if any engines will be backspeced to run 0W-16.

Didn’t the newer Camry hybrids switch to 0w16?

Very likely a Toyota Hybrid would spec this oil.

Originally Posted By: OilUzer

I think you meant to say anyone with a car ...
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Only thing I'd use 0W16 for would be to lube my electric razor.

lol even too thin for that!

The sky was falling when we switched to xw20 too..

Mobil 1 0W-16 is virtually all PAO, the most expensive base stock.

0W-16 is 0W-20 with less viscosity-index improver (VII). Therefore, 0W-16 is nearly a monograde.

Expect A_Harman index ~ 0.98. I expect the base-oil quality index (BOQI) to be over 100. Current 0W-20 BOQI record (also by M1) is 84.

It's quite evident that manufacturers need to uniformly increase the base-oil quality as the viscosity gets lower. This is so that the oils can still meet the performance requirements as they get thinner. M1 0W-16 is virtually all PAO, which is unseen in API/ILSAC oils since the SM era.

In addition, 0W-16 features the newest antiwear/extreme pressure/friction modifier (AW/EP/FM) technologies to make up for the decreased viscosity when/if needed for the different lubrication regimes in the engine.

The long story short, if your engine is designed for 0W-16, you will be running the best oil out there.

(Mostly) M1 compositions:

Note: The remaining balance (percentage) is ester (probably 0 - 10%), Group III, viscosity-index improver (VII), and additives. Base-oil quality decreases as PAO > GTL > Group III > Group II > Group I.

M1 0W-16 SN: 70 - 80% PAO, 10 - 20% GTL
Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-16 SN: 70 - 80% GTL

M1 AFE 0W-20 SN: 30 - 40% PAO, 10 - 20% GTL, 30 - 40% Group III
M1 EP 0W-20 SN: 60 - 70% PAO
M1 AP 0W-20 SN: 60 - 70% PAO
TGMO 0W-20 SN: 80 - 90% Group III

M1 5W-20 SN: 40 - 50% GTL

M1 AFE 0W-30 SN: 10 - 20% PAO, 20 - 30% GTL, 30 - 40% Group III

M1 5W-30 SN: 20 -30% PAO
M1 EP 5W-30 SN: 20 - 30% PAO
M1 AP 5W-30 SN: 5 - 10% PAO

(Compositions from ExxonMobil MSDS)