Mobil 1 0W-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Only thing I'd use 0W16 for would be to lube my electric razor.

I have never lubed my Norelco ($59). Been almost five years now. I spray it with water thrust after every use thou. I also change the three blades every 14-15 months. I use it every-other-day.

I will never go back to a regular razor and shaving cream again.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Patman
Mobil 1 is following the same philosophy as Coca Cola. First there was just one Coca Cola, then they added Diet Coke and now there's an insane number of different combinations.

You might say Amsoil has a few products as well

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Mobil 1 is following the same philosophy as Coca Cola. First there was just one Coca Cola, then they added Diet Coke and now there's an insane number of different combinations.

You might say Amsoil has a few products as well

Agreed. Some people complain if there's not enough product, and others complain if there's too much.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Mobil 1 0W-16 is virtually all PAO, the most expensive base stock.

0W-16 is 0W-20 with less viscosity-index improver (VII). Therefore, 0W-16 is nearly a monograde.

Expect A_Harman index ~ 0.98. I expect the base-oil quality index (BOQI) to be over 100. Current 0W-20 BOQI record (also by M1) is 84.

It's quite evident that manufacturers need to uniformly increase the base-oil quality as the viscosity gets lower. This is so that the oils can still meet the performance requirements as they get thinner. M1 0W-16 is virtually all PAO, which is unseen in API/ILSAC oils since the SM era.

In addition, 0W-16 features the newest antiwear/extreme pressure/friction modifier (AW/EP/FM) technologies to make up for the decreased viscosity when/if needed for the different lubrication regimes in the engine.

The long story short, if your engine is designed for 0W-16, you will be running the best oil out there.

(Mostly) M1 compositions:

Note: The remaining balance (percentage) is ester (probably 0 - 10%), Group III, viscosity-index improver (VII), and additives. Base-oil quality decreases as PAO > GTL > Group III > Group II > Group I.

M1 0W-16 SN: 70 - 80% PAO, 10 - 20% GTL
Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-16 SN: 70 - 80% GTL

M1 AFE 0W-20 SN: 30 - 40% PAO, 10 - 20% GTL, 30 - 40% Group III
M1 EP 0W-20 SN: 60 - 70% PAO
M1 AP 0W-20 SN: 60 - 70% PAO
TGMO 0W-20 SN: 80 - 90% Group III

M1 5W-20 SN: 40 - 50% GTL

M1 AFE 0W-30 SN: 10 - 20% PAO, 20 - 30% GTL, 30 - 40% Group III

M1 5W-30 SN: 20 -30% PAO
M1 EP 5W-30 SN: 20 - 30% PAO
M1 AP 5W-30 SN: 5 - 10% PAO

(Compositions from ExxonMobil MSDS)

Great summary Gokhan … you put some serious effort in for BITOG … Thank you …

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Mobil 1 0W-16 is virtually all PAO, the most expensive base stock.

Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter

The sky was falling when we switched to xw20 too..

Many still believe it is falling/has fallen. Many have anecdotal 'evidence' of 5w-20 grenading engines and causing them to wear out prematurely, etc. I'm glad 0w-16 is coming because maybe it will de-villainize Xw-20s

I remember when Castrol Edge 0W20 SM was touted as the greatest oil, and TGMO 0W20. I bought into the Castrol hype, briefly. Rather than buying into hype, or people creating hype around the "new" 0W16 oils I'll wait. Lets see how good they do in service, and if the mfgs. start changing the oil spec after a few years in service to reduce warranty claims, Ford comes to mind here. It could be the lasted and greatest, but I'll wait and see for sure. By the time I own a vehicle calling for it the proof will be out.

Just as 30+ years ago when 5w30 was the "Fuel Conserving" CAFE spec, there was much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth. But, the roadways clogged with dead and dying vehicles never happened as predicted.

Someone on the Corvette Forum mentioned that his 2015 Toyota Tundra was coming up on the end of it's warranty, so now he wanted to switch from 0w20 to a 0w50! His logic was thicker must be better because they recommend using 50 weight oil when you take your car to the track.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: chainblu

Just as 30+ years ago when 5w30 was the "Fuel Conserving" CAFE spec, there was much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth. But, the roadways clogged with dead and dying vehicles never happened as predicted.

I remember a surge of "sludge monsters" around year 2000. List of affected engines:

http://www.oilsludge.com/vehicles/

not to mention Toyota's:

http://www.yotarepair.com/Sludge_Zone.html

Coincidence?

There are a lot of Dodges on that list, and they never specified 20 weight oil on them. Poor engine design is to blame for the sludge monster era, not thinner oils.

There are a lot of Dodges on that list, and they never specified 20 weight oil on them. Poor engine design is to blame for the sludge monster era, not thinner oils.

That was the "Resource Conserving" 5W30 era when they made it out of thin base + lots of VI. I just added the Toyota crop from the period. Dodge were not alone.

We can also go back in time to the introduction of 10W40. Failed on similar grounds.

Originally Posted By: nap

That was the "Resource Conserving" 5W30 era when they made it out of thin base + lots of VI. I just added the Toyota crop from the period. Dodge were not alone.

We can also go back in time to the introduction of 10W40. Failed on similar grounds.

So the supposed sludge issue with my old 1MZ-FE was due to the oil that was available in 1999, not the engine design?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I think I will let others do the field testing for a few years before using. Ed

It has been used in Japan for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back