Two new Mobil 0W-16 oils coming to the market...

Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
9,329
Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by Gokhan
OK, that was the previous version. They made a change in the latest version, and xW-16 can be licensed as SN/Resource Conserving. I was outdated. wink
OK, because I was going to say what ELSE would a xW-16 be? It was certainly NOT created for engine longevity. ......
How do you figure that reasoning? Toyota specs 0W-16 in their new Corolla. Can you name a longer lasting, more reliable compact car in the world? I am pretty sure the engineering team at Toyota knew what they were doing when they spec'd a 0W-16. 0W-20 shocked the world when it hit the market . 0W-16 will be more common in the coming years and there will be thousands of 250K mile Corolla doing just fine. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/most-reliable-cars-cars-that-last-forever
Simple; one word--CAFE. There is no other reason to reduce viscosity to those levels except in the quest to eek out every single drop of MPG from the engine. There is always a trade of economy versus longevity else high HP engines would run any viscosity, but they do not, do they? At any rate, this has been beaten to death and I have no desire to do it all over again.
 
Joined
May 7, 2010
Messages
1,735
Location
Ocala, Florida
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by Gokhan
OK, that was the previous version. They made a change in the latest version, and xW-16 can be licensed as SN/Resource Conserving. I was outdated. wink
OK, because I was going to say what ELSE would a xW-16 be? It was certainly NOT created for engine longevity. ......
How do you figure that reasoning? Toyota specs 0W-16 in their new Corolla. Can you name a longer lasting, more reliable compact car in the world? I am pretty sure the engineering team at Toyota knew what they were doing when they spec'd a 0W-16. 0W-20 shocked the world when it hit the market . 0W-16 will be more common in the coming years and there will be thousands of 250K mile Corolla doing just fine. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/most-reliable-cars-cars-that-last-forever
Simple; one word--CAFE. There is no other reason to reduce viscosity to those levels except in the quest to eek out every single drop of MPG from the engine. There is always a trade of economy versus longevity else high HP engines would run any viscosity, but they do not, do they. At any rate, this has been beaten to death and I have not desire to do it all over again.
Exactly! ALL CAFE driven, if you think its for any other reason then you are oblivious! No thanks, I'll stick with my 5W30 no need for anything thinner.
 

Mike L. V.

Thread starter
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
391
Location
U.S.A
Toyota and Honda are producing millions of cars that spec 0W-16 and both manufactures have a proven history of reliability. Change always shocks the public and there have been 0 UAO showing excessive or accelerated wear using 0W-16 on this site vs a 0W-20. Of course someone with a car that specs 5W-30 wouldn't put 0W-16 in it. It wasn't designed for the lower viscosity.
 
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
9,329
Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Toyota and Honda are producing millions of cars that spec 0W-16 and both manufactures have a proven history of reliability. Change always shocks the public and there have been 0 UAO showing excessive or accelerated wear using 0W-16 on this site vs a 0W-20. Of course someone with a car that specs 5W-30 wouldn't put 0W-16 in it. It wasn't designed for the lower viscosity.
UOAs are not a reliable tool for measuring wear; that also has been beaten to death here.
 
Joined
Mar 4, 2017
Messages
23,184
Location
...
Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Toyota and Honda are producing millions of cars that spec 0W-16 and both manufactures have a proven history of reliability. Change always shocks the public and there have been 0 UAO showing excessive or accelerated wear using 0W-16 on this site vs a 0W-20. Of course someone with a car that specs 5W-30 wouldn't put 0W-16 in it. It wasn't designed for the lower viscosity.
I would amend that statement. Instead of public insert BITOG members. The vast majority of car owners get their oil changed by someone else and it's likely they don't know what oil or grade goes in the sump. People that change their own oil are a minority and a dwindling one at that.
 

Mike L. V.

Thread starter
Joined
Jun 9, 2008
Messages
391
Location
U.S.A
0W-16 is spec'd for my car. Pout it in, drive 10K and sleep easy knowing it's perfectly fine.
 
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
14,993
Location
Illinois
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
Toyota and Honda are producing millions of cars that spec 0W-16 and both manufactures have a proven history of reliability. Change always shocks the public and there have been 0 UAO showing excessive or accelerated wear using 0W-16 on this site vs a 0W-20. Of course someone with a car that specs 5W-30 wouldn't put 0W-16 in it. It wasn't designed for the lower viscosity.
UOAs are not a reliable tool for measuring wear; that also has been beaten to death here.
That's right. UOAs are for the condition of the oil. Like dirt, fuel, and coolant.
 
Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
13,225
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Originally Posted by painfx
I have been waiting for this. GF6! Wonder which is better, Mobil Super Syn or Mobil AFE for 0w16.
One is Mobil-1 and the other isn't. Easy choice for me.
 
Joined
Dec 29, 2010
Messages
5,668
Location
Paramount, California
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by painfx
I have been waiting for this. GF6! Wonder which is better, Mobil Super Syn or Mobil AFE for 0w16.
One is Mobil-1 and the other isn't. Easy choice for me.
Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-16 is GTL, whereas Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16 is PAO; therefore, it's like silver vs. gold, respectively. If you can do a 10,000-mile-long OCI with Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-16, you can do a 15,000 - 20,000-mile-long OCI with Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16.
 
Top