Mobil 0W20 - Seven Different Flavors

ESP and AFE are the only two worth considering, IMHO.

Everything else is fluff marketing wank.
With 60-70% PAO (more than AFE and significantly more than ESP X2), I'd most definitely include EP in their top three and worth debate as arguably their best 0W-20. The two you site being the others in said debate. All three exceptional oils.

Last edited:
The Mobil 1 0w-20 Advanced Fuel Economy has got me perplexed? What would they do to that formula to make it give better mileage? Less friction internally by changing what?

The Mobil 1 0w-20 Advanced Fuel Economy has got me perplexed? What would they do to that formula to make it give better mileage? Less friction internally by changing what?

Good question, is it less fuel economy in Extended Performance oil? Is it a choice between fuel economy and better protection (claimed by Extended Performance)?

EP could be one the best inexpensive oils.
Then there is Euro a3/b4 0W40 and same price range.
Mix EP 0W20 with Euro 0W40 for a perfect inexpensive 0W30 that is currently missing in the market. The problem is that I don't mix. maybe I should. lol

EP could be one the best inexpensive oils.
Then there is Euro a3/b4 0W40 and same price range.
Mix EP 0W20 with Euro 0W40 for a perfect inexpensive 0W30 that is currently missing in the market. The problem is that I don't mix. maybe I should. lol
I’d mix some M1 AP 0w20 I have with M1 0w40 🙊

Too many Mobil1 versions of the same viscosity grade confuse me so badly that I just give up and buy some other brand.

Probably has more/better AF & AW additives, so when metal-to-metal contact occurs from the MOFT going to zero there's less fricton between contacting rubbing parts. Known as higher "film strength".

If I'm going to run a 20....it will be M1 EP 5/20. It seems heavy for a 20....coming in at a 9 at 100°C.

I'm going with it in my wife's '19 Corolla next time around

Reactions: 4WD
Too many Mobil1 versions of the same viscosity grade confuse me so badly that I just give up and buy some other brand.
OK, but they if you go to Shell, in 5w30 for example you have, Rotella T6 Multi-vehicle, Rotella Gas Truck, Quaker State Advance Durability, Quaker State Full Synthetic , Quaker State High Mileage, Quaker State Full Synthetic High Mileage, Quaker State Euro L, Pennzoil(PYB) , Pennzoil High Mileage, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage , Pennzoil Euro , Pennzoil Euro L, Pennzoil Euro AV, Formula Shell, Formula Shell Synthetic,

Walmart here has 3 in 0w20: AFE, EP, HM …
Seems 0w20 is the new 5w20 so that’s probably fading away
(our Fusion is 5w20 but gets 0w20)

OK, but they if you go to Shell, in 5w30 for example you have, Rotella T6 Multi-vehicle, Rotella Gas Truck, Quaker State Advance Durability, Quaker State Full Synthetic , Quaker State High Mileage, Quaker State Full Synthetic High Mileage, Quaker State Euro L, Pennzoil(PYB) , Pennzoil High Mileage, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage , Pennzoil Euro , Pennzoil Euro L, Pennzoil Euro AV, Formula Shell, Formula Shell Synthetic,
Yeah … motor oil is a consumable (more so in some engines😷) … wander around a Walmart and you’ll see folks reading labels in all sections as consumable choices have increased …

Concerning W20's,what is actual difference between 0W20 and 5W20 of say, the same brand? Will the 5W have more "oil" per se, and the 0W have more polymers/viscosity modifiers?

On Mobil's pdf, the 0W20 has less phos and zinc than the 5W20.

Concerning W20's,what is actual difference between 0W20 and 5W20 of say, the same brand? Will the 5W have more "oil" per se, and the 0W have more polymers/viscosity modifiers?

On Mobil's pdf, the 0W20 has less phos and zinc than the 5W20.
But the 0w20 varieties all seem to have more PAO and/or GTL compared to their equivalent 5W20 varieties, so if the 0w20 use more base stocks with a naturally higher VI then they might not have any more VII than 5W20.

This one was one of the first, if not THE first 0w20 introduced by M1. It came out with 0w30. It was targeted at 5w20 users. Same as 0w30 AFE was targeted at 5w30 users. I believe it built up enough of a fan base that it makes no sense to remove it from the lineup. They've probably done a lot of market research and found that the buyers of both AFE lines are very picky and loyal and have fuel economy as their top priority. I think the AFE line will have more staying power than some of the others because of that. I'm sure they'd love to kill it and move those folks over to one of the other 0w20 flavors, but they might look beyond M1 and at other brands for it. So it stays.

That's just my best guess. But I am pretty sure I saw AFE 0w20 on the shelves (particularly at Walmart) before any other.

Which flavor would be the best for my 2012 Prius c2 with 112k miles on it?
Would that be the Advanced Fuel Economy. the HM, or the M1 Super?
I drive up to 5k miles a year and would like to do one OCI per year these days.

Back