MMO vs Oil Consumption.

Here I am sharing my more recent experience with MMO and hope it helps some who may experience a similar issue with their vehicle.

Vehicle is a 2000 Honda CR-V, AWD and 5-speed manual. I became its owner at 201k miles, it currently has 210k miles. I started adding 4oz of MMO per 10 gallons of fuel on every tank, without adding anything to the oil. Wanted to see if it consumes any. Over the first few fill-ups I had to add 1qt of oil per every full tank of gas driven. That rate increased with longer highway drives, and high RPMs. Also on Higher RPMS (4500-6500) there was a mild visible blue smoke cloud out of the tail pipe. At 206k mies I added a quart of MMO to the oil instead of the now usual top-off at fuel fill-up. Since adding that one botttle of MMO to the crankcase I did not have to add any more oil as it stays at the full mark on the dipstick.
Almost 210k as of this morning, still at full mark. And no more smoking out of the tail pipe when I have to rev it up on highway ramps. Driving style did not change, still same ratio of city vs highway driving.
Just my experience, take it with a grain of salt. Not claiming it to be a fix-in-the-bottle for any engine problems, but it certainly does have it's place and works well, at least for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you might have a gummed up oil ring. Since it seemed to work well for you, maybe you should consider a few shorter oil change intervals adding a pint of MMO per change.

Hello OP/Vladiator.

User Demarpaint has used for many many years MMO using an "oiler" in his older vehicles over many miles.

I personally used in 3 of my vehicles ('04 Hyundai Elantra, '08 Toyota Yaris, '13 Mazda5), but the vehicles where in very good shape and burned no oil. Both in gas and oil, before a change. So I used more for my peace of mind.

I know it has been discussed at length that this stuff isn't some miracle cure and makes no sense to use regularly,also can affect certain gaskets negatively. I do have to admit that I have had success with many vehicles that were either really abused or neglected. I won't say it will cure all problems or necessarily prevent them from happening, but I feel it has its place for many situations. I won't say I use it unless I need it, but I have used it with great success when working at a used car dealership before. That way I got to see that it fixed the issues at the time and they didn't come back. The vehicles were fine when they came back for further maintenance over and over again. My only concern with it is that it is very thin and thins out the oil if you put in an entire bottle. I always used heavier oil when adding a decent amount of it to the crank case.

I'm glad you had good results!

I've been using MMO as an UCL for years, especially in OPE's. With all the recent talk of MMO, I went ahead and added a quart to my son's new-to-him 1987 Wrangler with the 258. The Jeep has been sitting for at least a decade to 15 years and was only started periodically. I'm hoping it does some cleaning.

Originally Posted by ripcord
Sounds like you might have a gummed up oil ring. Since it seemed to work well for you, maybe you should consider a few shorter oil change intervals adding a pint of MMO per change.

That may have been the case, as the maintenance history is unknown.
Originally Posted by pandus13
Hello OP/Vladiator.

User Demarpaint has used for many many years MMO using an "oiler" in his older vehicles over many miles.

I personally used in 3 of my vehicles ('04 Hyundai Elantra, '08 Toyota Yaris, '13 Mazda5), but the vehicles where in very good shape and burned no oil. Both in gas and oil, before a change. So I used more for my peace of mind.

I am really looking into getting a top end oiler for the 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan, as it is direct injection and those 2.0TSi engines could really use something to clean the intake valves. Still researching. Maybe water/methanol injection is what I'm going to go with.
Originally Posted by 71Chevyguy
I know it has been discussed at length that this stuff isn't some miracle cure and makes no sense to use regularly,also can affect certain gaskets negatively. I do have to admit that I have had success with many vehicles that were either really abused or neglected. I won't say it will cure all problems or necessarily prevent them from happening, but I feel it has its place for many situations. I won't say I use it unless I need it, but I have used it with great success when working at a used car dealership before. That way I got to see that it fixed the issues at the time and they didn't come back. The vehicles were fine when they came back for further maintenance over and over again. My only concern with it is that it is very thin and thins out the oil if you put in an entire bottle. I always used heavier oil when adding a decent amount of it to the crank case.

Agreed. I had Pennzoil SRT 0w40 in the crankcase, and used same oil for top-off as well, as that is what I had in my stash. I put that oil in as soon as I got the CR-V, then changed the oil filter at 205K, as I was topping oil off so often that it made no sense to drain whatever was in there. Between 201k and 206k I added 17 quarts of Pennzoil SRT 0w40. Then added a quart of MMO and level stayed at full since then, from 206k to 210k now. Put that much oil in there hoping that Pennzoil will clean something up and reduce consumption, but that didn't happen after 21 total quarts of oil (4qts initial OCI and 17qts of top-offs). But with MMO results were pretty quick, thankfully.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
I'm glad you had good results!

I've been using MMO as an UCL for years, especially in OPE's. With all the recent talk of MMO, I went ahead and added a quart to my son's new-to-him 1987 Wrangler with the 258. The Jeep has been sitting for at least a decade to 15 years and was only started periodically. I'm hoping it does some cleaning.

I really hope so, and have no doubts in MMO. If there are no mechanical issues, then you should see improvement soon.

This. ^^^^

Which is good news!

Vladiator, 25% MMO seems kind of high. I wouldn't leave it in there like that as that is more than even the recommendation on the bottle.

Bottle says up to 20% of total volume. I'm at 25%, but after taking it on a 500-mile trip this weekend (4 adults, a baby, plus all beach gear in hatch/trunk and on roof rack) it didn't burn any oil and had no abnormal sounds/lights/etc. I guess 3qts of 0w40 and 1qt of MMO kept the overall viscosity close-ish to a "light" 30-grade. I'll be changing the oil this weekend and will go with full capacity of Pennzoil SRT 0w40 to see if oil consumption is gone, or if it will try to make a comeback, which I highly doubt.

Originally Posted by Vladiator
I am really looking into getting a top end oiler for the 2013 Volkswagen Tiguan, as it is direct injection and those 2.0TSi engines could really use something to clean the intake valves. Still researching. Maybe water/methanol injection is what I'm going to go with.

on the vwvortex forums, there was one DI Golf user who made a contraption to connect a sprayer through a port for cleanup.
every 10k miles and he used connectors available at big box stores.
he used a mixture of gas + couple others ingredients as a "wash"/cleaning agent.

My memory is a bit rusty but he had an youtube video also....

I've been using Marvel Ultimate Fuel and Motor Treatment since last summer, threw 1/4 bottle in with the oil and it ran smoother and also added a few ounces occasionally when I put gas in. Last oil change added 1/2 bottle and have started putting in a couple of ounces when i put gas in regularly. Does anyone know the difference between this and MMO? All I could find online is that seems to for newer GDI and Hybrid engines and High Mileage engines.

I got my 2000 Honda CR-V, (AWD and 5-speed manual), at 201k miles. Put Pennzoil SRT 0w40 as first oil change, and between 201k and 206k I ended up adding another 17 quarts of oil, due to oil consumption. Then added 1qt of Marvel Mystery Oil, and did not have to add any oil since then. 212Kmiles now, oil stays at the level that I fill it up to throughout the full oil change interval. Worrth a shot at less than $4 per quart from Wal-Mart. And if it does not help - your engine is at least a little cleaner inside.

Originally Posted by Vladiator
I got my 2000 Honda CR-V, (AWD and 5-speed manual), at 201k miles. Put Pennzoil SRT 0w40 as first oil change, and between 201k and 206k I ended up adding another 17 quarts of oil, due to oil consumption. Then added 1qt of Marvel Mystery Oil, and did not have to add any oil since then. 212Kmiles now, oil stays at the level that I fill it up to throughout the full oil change interval. Worrth a shot at less than $4 per quart from Wal-Mart. And if it does not help - your engine is at least a little cleaner inside.

That's interesting. Your Honda was using almost three quarts per thousand miles.
How much oil does your Honda hold?

Sounds like this kind of oil consumption.

IMG_20200613_160340.jpg

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

That's interesting. Your Honda was using almost three quarts per thousand miles.
How much oil does your Honda hold?

Oil capacity with an oil filter change is at 4 quarts.

I'm not gonna lie, but I am a bit lost... Let me explain...
- Quick summary if you don't want to read from the start - Heavy oil consumption with 0w40, but when 0w40 oil is thinned with 1qt of MMO consumption goes away.
- Next oil change - straight 0w40. No consumption at first, but slowly consumption returned... Not as bad, but it is there, about 1qt/700-1000 miles.
- Next oil change - Idemitsu 0w20 (Thanks again @Egg_Head) took it on a long trip expecting even higher oil consumption, since the general consesus is that higher viscosity reduces oil consumption, while lower viscosity increases oil consumption... Or so I though. Just did over 1000 miles on Idemitsu 0w20, and the level has not moved... Still right over the full mark, as I filled it during the oil change. Lots of stop and go and spirited backroads exploration.

I mean - I'm glad that oil isn't disappearing (yet), but can't wrap my mind about an old Honda engine from the 90s preferring less viscous oil... It stopped burning when I had 0w40 duluted with MMO, and it's not burning yet with 0w20.
Will keep an eye on it and update as miles rack up.

My guess it's not so much about viscosity but about the condition of the rings. The MMO cleared out a bit of carbon and things were sealing better? The fresh Idemitsu oil with new (and possibly better) detergents cleaned them back up a bit? I wonder if the consumption will come back with the Idemitsu after you rack up some miles on it?

Back