MMO to prevent rust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recalling the other day that my grandfather would wipe down all his firearms with Marvel Mystery Oil before putting them away after each use and he never had a rust problem. Have any of you used MMO for this or do you think this is a no-no? I am tempted to try it I have an old guart of the stuff sitting in the garage.

Your grandfather was right. I use it all the time on rifles and shotguns, and have been doing so since I started shooting in the early 1970's. It works very well in fact. A few patches run down the bore followed with one dry patch, and then wipe down the barrel and action and you're GTG. Repeat once a year if you don't shoot often.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It will certainly work, though I'd probably prefer to use a firearm-specific product.

+1 I use G-96

for the price of MMO compared to gun oils it certainly makes sense.
32Oz of Hoppes for 3.97? I think not

Originally Posted By: dparm
It will certainly work, though I'd probably prefer to use a firearm-specific product.

Rem Oil just keeps everything more fresh longer than MMO in my experience. The MMO tends to dry out faster. I love MMO but thats the only situation I have found it doesnt do as well as something intended for it.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103924

The above is a link to a test of various gun related corrosion inhibiting products. It's my opinion the test is not 100% scientific, it certainly has some very interesting and (my opinion again) valid data.

win3a.jpg

Last edited:
It's certainly interesting that Boeshield T9 did allow a touch of rust to start.

I prefer AV-30 for heavy duty corrosion protection. It's the best I've ever seen. But it's thick, and nasty stuff. Difficult to remove.

I'm glad im not the only one who noticed rem oil sucks.
I have been trying the rem oil with "VCI" Technology thinking it would at least be a good Rust Preventative since the bottle advertises it on the front and claims to be better for that then regular rem oil. well it probably is better then regular rem oil but [censored] its still just plain out horrible. dries on me in less then 2 days after wiping my guns down lightly. my win 94 and mosins get thirsty fast

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrRPM
I have been trying the rem oil with "VCI" Technology thinking it would at least be a good Rust Preventative since the bottle advertises it on the front and claims to be better for that then regular rem oil. well it probably is better then regular rem oil but [censored] its still just plain out horrible. dries on me in less then 2 days after wiping my guns down lightly. my win 94 and mosins get thirsty fast

Lots of the gun specific oils suck according to the display.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: MrRPM

Lots of the gun specific oils suck according to the display.

this was my thoughts as well...

I have had good results with the Frog Lube grease, and Gunk foaming penetrating oil L7; which is the same stuff in the Remington bullet can.

Chck out the Eezox on the right - that is what I use on the exterior parts of my babies before putting them away .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back