MMO full oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Man, I remember when ARX and LC/FP received this much attention at BITOG. It makes me fearful if this MMO craze is just "group think" mentality. Wonder what Terry would say?

My Caravan with 2.4L 4 cyl. shears PYB 5w30 down to a 20 wt.by the end of a 4K OCI. It also has "used" about 24oz. oil per OCI almost since new (unlike my previous Caravans with 4 cyl).

If I were to add 16 to 32 oz. MMO. during the last 1000 miles of an OCI, would there be a problem with the viscosity getting too low?

Thank you.

I see your point in this statement: Man, I remember when ARX and LC/FP received this much attention at BITOG. It [color:#CC0000]makes me fearful if this MMO craze is just "group think" mentality.

But here's my take, the people posting have used MMO with great success, aren't working for the Turtle Wax company in any way, shape, or form, nor are they getting free product in exchange for posting here. Just honest to goodness testimony. Its honest testimony vs. bought testimony that gets me to test something. The company has been around for over 80 years, nothing bad about it on the WWW, execpt some occasional bashing from people who never tried it.

As far is it hurting your engine by thinning your oil, no worries. My family has been using it for decades and always were satisfied with the product.

Good luck! It's all about a good clean running engine that we're after here.

MMO states that their product is about a 5 weight oil in viscosity so if you are worried about it thinning your oil, bump up your oil by one grade. If you normally run 10w-30 then put some 15w-40 in it.

This is what I did in my wifes car which I used to run 10w-30 in. When I managed to flush it out with some MMO and help quiet some minor lifter noise, I decided to run it for a full OCI. I put 15w-40 in it and then thinned it down to 10w-30 with the MMO.

Honestly, MMO is a dirt cheap experiment that may or may not work for you. Until this year I was a skeptic, but I now run it in my gas on my cars and bikes, and to flush my engine out a bit.

And I love the wintergreen smell. :)

Last edited:
MMO typically will drop the oil a grade, on the actual "normal" operating temp of the oil, when the engine is fully warmed up. So while going up a grade in viscosity might seem like a good idea, I would not go from a 10W30 to a 15W40 in the winter time. If I were to go up a grade I would have gone from a 10W30 to a 5W40, 10W40, or even a 0w40, but nothing in the 15W varitety. You want the help starting up when it is icy cold in the morning. The difference between a 10W-xx and 15W-xx matters in the winter. JMO

GreetIngs:

I have been reading these fourms for quite awhile. Let me just say this site is great and informative. I have porsche 911 Turbo-3.3-Modified-Cams,turbo,port polished,,etc.etc..it goes on. I didn't drive the turbo for 10yrs-Garage Queen and I was out of the country. My fuel pumps were frozen,injectors shot,plugs,fuel filter, oil change..New ignition-msd-& coil..The list goes on to restore it. I did alot of the work myself with my wrech-(keep the costs down). Finally got the car back. It was doing fine and then it was slowly dying everytime I drove it..LESS AND LESS POWER..It finally stalled and thats that..
Back in the shop--my wrench had a tuff time finding out the problem..The outcome was the fuel head gumming up..I used what a porsche guys recommend.(techron). It was ok, my wrench rec. to use MMO. I never new much about the brand..Anyway I am a BELIEVER!!!. After approx 3 tank fulls/mix with gas..The car is the car i know after the engine rebuilt in 1994..NO JOKE!!
I also put a 32.ounce into the oil..Drove approx-45min-1hr.-nice-hot. Changed the oil immed..Alot of [censored] came out.. A BELIEVER AGAIN!!
In the end I will never ever run without this stuff. period!

Walt

Originally Posted By: maxa
GreetIngs:

I have been reading these fourms for quite awhile. Let me just say this site is great and informative. I have porsche 911 Turbo-3.3-Modified-Cams,turbo,port polished,,etc.etc..it goes on. I didn't drive the turbo for 10yrs-Garage Queen and I was out of the country. My fuel pumps were frozen,injectors shot,plugs,fuel filter, oil change..New ignition-msd-& coil..The list goes on to restore it. I did alot of the work myself with my wrech-(keep the costs down). Finally got the car back. It was doing fine and then it was slowly dying everytime I drove it..LESS AND LESS POWER..It finally stalled and thats that..
Back in the shop--my wrench had a tuff time finding out the problem..The outcome was the fuel head gumming up..I used what a porsche guys recommend.(techron). It was ok, my wrench rec. to use MMO. I never new much about the brand..Anyway I am a BELIEVER!!!. After approx 3 tank fulls/mix with gas..The car is the car i know after the engine rebuilt in 1994..NO JOKE!!
I also put a 32.ounce into the oil..Drove approx-45min-1hr.-nice-hot. Changed the oil immed..Alot of [censored] came out.. A BELIEVER AGAIN!!
In the end I will never ever run without this stuff. period!

Walt

It sounds like we have another MMO success story. This is what I like to see, testimonials from people who have actually used a product and they give us there honest opinions, whether good or bad.

After reading here I used MMO as directed in my fuel and my Check engine light came on within 10 miles or so. 2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 XFE

I took it to the dealer and they said MMO has Phosphorus in it that will damage 02 sensors and catalytic converters that especially OBD III systems can detect it at too high a level.

I stopped using it and next fuel fill the light went out using FPPLUS from Odis Beaver as recommended by Terry Dyson.

I will NOT use MMO in fuel for a newer car. I dont' think I will use it in the motor oil unless I see UOA that proves it does no harm.

Originally Posted By: redraiderfan
After reading here I used MMO as directed in my fuel and my Check engine light came on within 10 miles or so. 2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 XFE

I took it to the dealer and they said MMO has Phosphorus in it that will damage 02 sensors and catalytic converters that especially OBD III systems can detect it at too high a level.

I stopped using it and next fuel fill the light went out using FPPLUS from Odis Beaver as recommended by Terry Dyson.

I will NOT use MMO in fuel for a newer car. I dont' think I will use it in the motor oil unless I see UOA that proves it does no harm.

I have no problems with MMO in the fuel on my 2004 Mercury Marauder.

I think their XFE might have a more advanced computer and sensor setup in it. They're trying to make it so the computer detects stuff that could damage the emissions control components.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I think their XFE might have a more advanced computer and sensor setup in it. They're trying to make it so the computer detects stuff that could damage the emissions control components.

Man that would be one sensitive system, and worth looking into to find out for sure. Something that can detect a 320:1 ratio is pretty accurate.

Personely I think Risolene is wallet lightener never seen anything happen with it at all. In fact never seen it clean anything. At least with MMO I have seen it do some cleaning. Risolone is completely undocumented why not go with something that is well documented like Auto-Rx or Lube Control 20?

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Personely I think Risolene is wallet lightener never seen anything happen with it at all. In fact never seen it clean anything. At least with MMO I have seen it do some cleaning. Risolone is completely undocumented why not go with something that is well documented like Auto-Rx or Lube Control 20?

There's always someone out there who has to stomp on someones parade. Some folks have had great success with MMO and some have had great success with Auto Rx. So far Ive never had any sludged up engines to say one has worked better than the other. I will say this MMO has help with valve train noise as were Auto Rx did nothing.

My dad used Risolene on every car he owned. I don't know if it helped but they lasted forever and never an engine problem.

I topped off my oil with 6oz's of MMO, I am running M1 5W-30 EP. The oil has 3k on it, is it OK to put another 6k on this OCI?

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I topped off my oil with 6oz's of MMO, I am running M1 5W-30 EP. The oil has 3k on it, is it OK to put another 6k on this OCI?

I would think with only 6 ounces of MMO in the oil you should be fine, others may have different opinions. I would definetly check the oil on the dipstick after 1000 miles or so to see how the oil looks, JMO.

A full QT in the oil during the winter in Michigan, hard combo to beat. Let us know how the morning starts are when Old Man Winter kicks it in gear.

Borrowing my dad's Festiva for a while.. did all the checks and it was a quart and half low on oil. Put a 1/2 quart rislone, 1/2 mmo, and 1/2 PP 15w50. Going to be interesting to see how it comes out in 1k. Pretty sure it's the PCV valve but I'm not to impressed with ST 10w30 cleaning capabilities. Think he's ran ST's 3k oci for about 30k and Castrol before that.. if it wasn't for the pink varnish Castrol did a much better job. Although ST did remove the varnish.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Borrowing my dad's Festiva for a while.. did all the checks and it was a quart and half low on oil. Put a 1/2 quart rislone, 1/2 mmo, and 1/2 PP 15w50. Going to be interesting to see how it comes out in 1k. Pretty sure it's the PCV valve but I'm not to impressed with ST 10w30 cleaning capabilities. Think he's ran ST's 3k oci for about 30k and Castrol before that.. if it wasn't for the pink varnish Castrol did a much better job. Although ST did remove the varnish.

I have had good luck with running Pennzoil Platinum with the MMO, after about 7000 miles my valvetrain was totally clean. I also noticed that when I changed my oil one time with just Pennzoil Platinum in there it came out darker than the time before when I had the ST in there.

My observations tell me that Pennzoil Platinum does some cleaning and it works well with MMO.

Originally Posted By: c3po
I have had good luck with running Pennzoil Platinum with the MMO, after about 7000 miles my valvetrain was totally clean. I also noticed that when I changed my oil one time with just Pennzoil Platinum in there it came out darker than the time before when I had the ST in there.

My observations tell me that Pennzoil Platinum does some cleaning and it works well with MMO.

Thats good to know, thats what I put in 3 weeks ago. Now I just need to drive the car and let the cleaning begin. I think I only put 4 miles on the car since changing the oil. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back