MMO for winter storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I store one of my cars for 5 months in the winter. StaBil has always been added to the fuel and run a bit before storing.

I was think of adding a dose of MMO to the fuel this year in addition to StaBil. My logic was that the MMO may provide some corrosion protection for injectors, etc. while StaBil kept the gasoline from causing varnish and the like.

Has anyone tried this? Can anyone see benefits? The car is a low mileage 2008, so I don't think I'm battling some of the problems for which MMO is typically used.

Thanks!

I believe most fuel stabilizers are a petroleum/oil type product,I dont think adding more lube is of any benefit,but could be wrong.I know one guy that put too much "Store it and Start it" AGS stabilizer in one time,and got nothing but smoke and a fouled plug come spring.

I do this to my motorcycles every winter, i dont add alot, I have nothing scientific to show it helps or hurts. Stabil and a small shot of MMO goes into the tank, let it run a spell, shut em down and forget them for 5 months or so.

Im not a MMO lover or hater, i keep some on the shelf and its been usefull in several applications.

I have used MMO as a regular additive to OPE gas and as a storage stabilizer for 10 years and have never had a problem. Everything fires right up and looks pretty clean inside.

I don't use any other additives with it, just the recommended dose of MMO

Last edited:
I like 2 cycle TCW3 for a heavier oil to coat parts, plus some star brite or stabil or equivalent to help with varnish and whatnot. First run after storage, id add some drygas to help with any excess moisture.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I store one of my cars for 5 months in the winter. StaBil has always been added to the fuel and run a bit before storing.

I was think of adding a dose of MMO to the fuel this year in addition to StaBil. My logic was that the MMO may provide some corrosion protection for injectors, etc. while StaBil kept the gasoline from causing varnish and the like.

Has anyone tried this? Can anyone see benefits? The car is a low mileage 2008, so I don't think I'm battling some of the problems for which MMO is typically used.

Thanks!

Here's what we did for my son's 3 deployments to Afghanistan which were longer than 5 months each. Wash and wax the car, detail the interior. Drive to the gas station add the suggested amount of Stabil and 1 qt of MMO to the gas, then fill the car up. Drive it for at least 30 minutes, park it where it will stay, and change the oil and filter. The logic to adding a qt of MMO to the gas is to keep the combustion chamber from flash rusting and leaving a coating of MMO in the injectors. He never had a problem with the car doing this. Would Stabil alone have worked? Probably, but I think the MMO gave it some additional protection. We did other things to the car, I touched on the major points. HTH

I have been running the same dosage of both(Sta-Bil/MMO) in my purchaced new, '80 Firebird FORMULA's 20 gal tank for several years now. Not only for winter storage but, during the summer driving as well.

Both of these products call for the same dosage but they list them differently. Sta-Bil's dosage is 1 oz/2.5 gal's gas and MMO is 4 oz/10 gal's gas(it's the same thing!).

By using the same dosage in my Firebird, I'm refering to...8 oz "each" of Sta-Bil & MMO per 20 gal gas. That's 16 oz between the two products. This Firebird is a carb'd engine and all I can say is that the engine runs smoother and starts better now than when new.

I also use this dosage during the summer months while driving the car. When I need to fill up again, and the gas tank is partially full either with a 1/2 or 1/4 tank, I'll do the math quickly as not to overdose although, I don't think that overdosing will hurt anything unless it's severe.

I use this same mixture in all of my lawn/snow equipment(small engines) and they too run smoother without hickups. I use Sta-Bil even during the summer months just to keep the gas as fresh a possible because I never know how long I'll be keeping the gas in the container. The MMO is just another benefit of lubracation that really seems to work in my equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back