MMO as gentle flush ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have half bottle of MMO left since I have stopped using it on my fuel tank.
I am wondering whether it would be helpful to clean the engine if that is added to crankcase prior my oil change and drive it about 50-100 km before changing oil.

Will that that introduce seal leaks problem ?
Car is 90.000 km on synthetic and do not consume any oil on xw-30 weight.
I am not sure is the benefit of cleaning ring packs outweigh the risk.
Thanks in advance

why not use it in the tank??? It is the only fuel add that I can "feel" when I have it in there... Just dont use too much, or MPGs will drop.

For 50-100 KM, MMO will be probably do nothing. Use it in your gas tank if you're uncomfortable putting it in the motor.

My father turned me on to MMO years ago. Adding it 500 miles before an oil change has kept our engines clean and running great. We add 16 oz to the oil, you can add up to a quart, and can run it longer than 500 miles if you like. But the 16oz and 500 mile formula has been working well for many years.

AD

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
why not use it in the tank??? It is the only fuel add that I can "feel" when I have it in there... Just dont use too much, or MPGs will drop.

Because I find it is not effective on my car compared to SI-1 or Regane. The MMO forum itself suggest to use MMO and PEA based cleaner together to effectively maintain the cleanliness.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Because I find it is not effective on my car compared to SI-1 or Regane. The MMO forum itself suggest to use MMO and PEA based cleaner together to effectively maintain the cleanliness.

If you want to put it in your motor, go ahead. It surely won't harm anything, but at 100 kilometers, it won't do much.

A week ago, I put MMO on my 96 4Runner with 103k miles. After about 160 miles, no leaks and no milky stuff in the oil fill cap.

I might use the rest on my 99 Civic with 104k miles.

MMO isn't going to hurt an engine, but like panthermike said such a short run isn't going to do much either.

MMO is not a quick flush - it is designed to be run the entire OCI. There are some recent UOAs showing very good success using MMO in the oil, a full quart substitute, for the entire OCI - you should check them out.

If you are uncomfortable with that, many add 16 oz during the last 500-1000 miles of an OCI to get a little extra cleaning before the oil change.

Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8
MMO is not a quick flush - it is designed to be run the entire OCI. There are some recent UOAs showing very good success using MMO in the oil, a full quart substitute, for the entire OCI - you should check them out.

If you are uncomfortable with that, many add 16 oz during the last 500-1000 miles of an OCI to get a little extra cleaning before the oil change.

+1. It was intended to be run for the full OCI and replace 1 qt of oil. With the whole shift to thinner oils, MMO seems to be years ahead of its time with their 80+ year old formula. We've had great success with it.

AD

finally put 8oz on my crankcase, and just drive 40 km.
No major change, but many little observations:
- Engine noise louder on first start (maybe the MMO haven't mixed well with the oil)
- Engine seems quieter and less vibration at idle after driving 40 km
- Definitely less torque (Same effect when I use xw-20 oil before)
33.gif

- Engine noise louder on first start (maybe the MMO haven't mixed well with the oil)
33.gif

Keep us posted, your results should be interesting too hear, how many miles will you be running it in your oil before you drain it out.

I don't think 8 0z is going to do much. I never added it to anything in a 20 grade so I can't comment about that. Dad and I have used it in 5W30 oils, 16 oz 500-1000 miles before an OC with great results. Seems to smooth things out, engines were always nice and clean. YMMV

AD

Originally Posted By: c3po
33.gif

Keep us posted, your results should be interesting too hear, how many miles will you be running it in your oil before you drain it out.

Sure, my plan is to run around 400 km, but need to see the development in these few days.
Yesterday I went for driving another 60 km, the engine sound has changed a bit (assumed the oil getting more diluted), the idle definitely better, but occasionally I hear louder noise when I rev the engine to 4k rpm (similar the sound that make me stop using 20-wt oil, but last time the sound was all the time after the oil run 2k km).

All I can say is that I'm getting some of the best mileage with my car after doing the final 300 of the previous (5000+) OCI miles with about a pint of MMO added to the PP 5W-30...

Sure, my plan is to run around 400 km, but need to see the development in these few days.
Yesterday I went for driving another 60 km, the engine sound has changed a bit (assumed the oil getting more diluted), the idle definitely better, but occasionally I hear louder noise when I rev the engine to 4k rpm (similar the sound that make me stop using 20-wt oil, but last time the sound was all the time after the oil run 2k km).

Could it be the MMO is doing some cleaning, freeing things up?

AD

Quick update, the engine sounds smoother now (after 250 km), so it seems the MMO did some cleaning.
When I cruise on gear with my foot lifted from the gas pedal, it seems cruising better.
Only complaint is still the torque issue that makes the fuel consumption not that good so far. I will just drain the oil as soon as I reach 90k.

I got 250 miles of MMO on my 4runner's crankcase right now. So far so good. I'm planning to wait for another 500 miles before oil change.

I think you'll be very satisfied with the MMO. Dad and I have used it for many years with great results. I plan on running 16 ounces in my oil for the last 1000 miles of this OCI.

AD

Finally today I drain and change the engine oil to SSO. It sounds crispier and the torque is back :)
I think in the future I will do the same ritual if I need cleaning, run 2 rounds of shock dosage of SI-1 and add MMO to crankcase at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back