Mixing with the Pentastars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Need to change the oil on my grandma's 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan (36k miles) and my grandpa's 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (108k miles).

I've already got a jug of Castrol Edge 5w20 I bought a while back, was thinking of getting a jug of Castrol Edge 5w40 and a couple quarts and doing some mixing in both cars to roughly make a 5w30.

They're both Pentastar 3.6L V6's, just wondering about the MS-6395 oil requirement. I'm guessing it'll be fine? Only the van has some warranty left but I'm not worried about that.

Probably won't hurt, but Castrol 5W-40 is in a completely different class compared to their 0/5W-20/30 lineup. It's an A3/B4 Euro oil with a completely different additive complex.

Those engines are bullet proof and aren't fussy or hard on oil. You're fine. The MS-6395 spec is more for the Oil Life Monitor calibration on that engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Those engines are bullet proof and aren't fussy or hard on oil. You're fine. The MS-6395 spec is more for the Oil Life Monitor calibration on that engine.

Exactly. They were designed for conventional oil as well.
Any flavor works well.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is to be gained?

I've already got the 5w20 jug and we get 115+ degree weather here, I like thicker oil.

It probably get's 5w40 in Europe so I think you're good.

Plus, the OM should say a 5w30 is acceptable even if 5w20 is spec'd.

My wife's 2012 Grand Caravan is running "Frankenblend". It has the 3.6 V6, and the cap says 5W-30. I had a lot of clearance 0W-20 and 10W-40 lying around, so I mixed it in a 4:1 ratio. It's been rock solid for 4K+ miles.

Originally Posted by Crispysea
My wife's 2012 Grand Caravan is running "Frankenblend". It has the 3.6 V6, and the cap says 5W-30. I had a lot of clearance 0W-20 and 10W-40 lying around, so I mixed it in a 4:1 ratio. It's been rock solid for 4K+ miles.

Which techniques are you using to confirm that it's "rock solid"...are they available for the home user ?

Would a 5w30 Castrol Edge be a better match for blending? To make a heavy 20 weight?

Originally Posted by Shannow

Which techniques are you using to confirm that it's "rock solid"...are they available for the home user ?

Shame on you Shannow
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted by Shannow

According to the display, the oil pressure and temperature are virtually the same as 5W-30. The oil pump, cooler, and cam phasers don't seem to have a problem. It's not using any oil, either.

I forgot I had 3 quarts of Castrol Edge 10w40 in the garage.

Used that and 3 quarts of the 5w20 in the van.

I'll do the Jeep next weekend, we'll just get a jug of something for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back