Yearly OCI, low mileage, short trips Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3.6L Pentastar. The manual recommends 5w20, but says 5w30 is fine if you can't find an oil in 5w20 that meets the standards; also, previous years with the same engine had the manual recommending 5w30. Some information:

Low miles per year (5K)

Highway driving rare, say 1-3 times a month. Lots of short trips like to the grocery store.

Yearly OCI

Average environmental conditions. Northeast US, PA to be exact.

I was on Castrol's website and their "which oil is right for me" specifically recommends their Syntec Blend oil for frequent short trips. They say it's "specially engineered with proprietary Castrol GTX technology and Castrol Syntec molecular components to provide superior short-trip protection 5w-30 and 10w-30 only. I think the new name for the oil is Castrol GTX Synblend, which doesn't say this like the Syntec Blend does, so I'll have to ask them.

Anyway is this just marketing, or is there something to it? Is there something else you recommend instead? I know people tend to recommend more frequent OCI's for frequent short trips but but I'd prefer to stick to yearly.

Short trips are killer on the oil and engine. A full synthetic oil change preformed by you should cost less than $35. Twice a year minimum is what I would do with either 5w30, or 5w20.

My trail Jeep sees infrequent off road use (where it is typically beaten) and I'm on 2.5+ year change interval with Q-Horsepower 5W30.

For piece of mind on your new rig, I would do a yearly change with a SOPUS 5W20 synthetic. If there is an oil life monitor, I would follow that instead.

Originally Posted By: cantthinkofaname
I've got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3.6L Pentastar. The manual recommends 5w20, but says 5w30 is fine if you can't find an oil in 5w20 that meets the standards; also, previous years with the same engine had the manual recommending 5w30. Some information:

Low miles per year (5K)

Highway driving rare, say 1-3 times a month. Lots of short trips like to the grocery store.

Yearly OCI

Average environmental conditions. Northeast US, PA to be exact.

I was on Castrol's website and their "which oil is right for me" specifically recommends their Syntec Blend oil for frequent short trips. They say it's "specially engineered with proprietary Castrol GTX technology and Castrol Syntec molecular components to provide superior short-trip protection 5w-30 and 10w-30 only. I think the new name for the oil is Castrol GTX Synblend, which doesn't say this like the Syntec Blend does, so I'll have to ask them.

Anyway is this just marketing, or is there something to it? Is there something else you recommend instead? I know people tend to recommend more frequent OCI's for frequent short trips but but I'd prefer to stick to yearly.

You are likely to get fuel dilution and possibly condensation. I am not sure any oil will help with those. A highway trip will probably burn off the condensation, but probably not the fuel.

I would change it 2X a year.

Have the groceries delivered. Many places do now.

Doesn't your owners manual also say to change your oil every 6 months or xxx amount of miles whatever comes first? I'd have a look at the OM, and change the oil twice a year while under warranty.

Nice ride BTW, drive it in good health!

I usually go 10K miles or a year *(or Chevy sends me an email) but I probably drive 80% highway and couple the short trips with a trip out of town.

For lots of short trips I'd find a low priced syn blend and change it Thanksgiving, St. Patty's day, and 4th of July, or just before you go on vacation.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Short trips are killer on the oil and engine. A full synthetic oil change preformed by you should cost less than $35. Twice a year minimum is what I would do with either 5w30, or 5w20.

Sorry Greg, I totally disagree. Synthetic blend will be fine for 5000 miles and once a year interval as long as the car has a working thermostat, which is not a concern in this application. Since the vehicle is so new, you could probably get away with changing the oil filter every other year, especially if you use the high quality Mopar filter. As always, keep the oil topped off on your yearly run.

A bit off topic but does Chrysler recommend a 5w20 only for fuel economy reasons? Seems kinda iffy if they say 5w30 works just as well.

lets see, you have a 35-40K$ rig, MaMopar says change oil twice a year.

I would be running to Walmart and buy me some Mobil1 or PU in either 5w-20 or 0W-20 and change the oil every 6 months with their funky Mopar filter.

I would buy some Amsoil 75W-90 for the diffs and Amsoil ATF for the T-case and transmission.

I wouldnt try to save a 40$ a year buy skimping on a oil change and I would run the full syn and spen the extra 5$ or so vs a blend or dino.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

I would be running to Walmart and buy me some Mobil1 or PU in either 5w-20 or 0W-20 and change the oil every 6 months with their funky Mopar filter.

I would buy some Amsoil 75W-90 for the diffs and Amsoil ATF for the T-case and transmission.

I wouldnt try to save a 40$ a year buy skimping on a oil change and I would run the full syn and spen the extra 5$ or so vs a blend or dino.

+1 this.

Yes ^^ THIS. Someone agrees, thank you.

+1 Well said.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What does the price of a car have to do with the type/price of oil that will go in it?
Stick to the manufacturer's recommendation and everything will be fine.

Manufacturer's interest is to get you past warranty. After that, you are on your own.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
What does the price of a car have to do with the type/price of oil that will go in it?
Stick to the manufacturer's recommendation and everything will be fine.

Manufacturer's interest is to get you past warranty. After that, you are on your own.

Great, and if you repeat it in your head few hundred times I'm sure it will become true
lol.gif

But you're welcome to provide any proof, facts, studies, analytical analysis, UOA reports etc. to show me that using top shelf stuff instead of manufacturer's recommended oil and OCI, will provide a longer engine life.

My '13 Charger says once a year or 10000 miles if the computer doesn't tell you to change it. It only lists 5w20 in the manual.

I like synthetic, so I'm running PP. Not sure what I'm doing for OCI yet.

My
49.gif
- If you want to ante up for syn, go ahead. It won't hurt. I don't typically pay much attention to synblends. I can't imagine conventional at factory OCIs is going to cause any issues. With mostly short trips I would likely just stick with the 5w20. The oil cooler in the Pentastar seems to keep the temps pretty well in check.

Oh nice Jeep!

I'll add you might have a hard time making the case the 5w20 wasn't available here in the States. It's literally everywhere.

FYI my Walmart is showing to have Castrol synblend 5w20 in stock.

But you're welcome to provide any proof, facts, studies, analytical analysis, UOA reports etc. to show me that using top shelf stuff instead of manufacturer's recommended oil and OCI, will provide a longer engine life.

Google, use it. Knock yorself out.

I am entirely satisfied with my position.

Pstar is a new design, odds are only the factory durability testers know much at all about it.

Opinions are fine, we all have one. But you can't simply announce one and expect us to endorse it unless we agree.

Proof is a good thing...

Manual says follow OCI, but max interval is 1 yr/10,000 mile. Severe duty max for dusty/off road use is 4,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back