Mixing transmission fluids - partial change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to change the transmission fluid in all of my vehicles in signature below.
Grand Marquis uses Mercon V.
Montero has Wolfshead Global Synthetic from the transmission replacement shop about 40,000 miles ago
Sable has BG synthetic fluid total flush done 90,000 miles ago about 10 years.

Would there be an issue in using Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission and doing partial fluid change. I have a vacuum oil changer that can pull fluids out dipstick tube. Would like to just change however much I can get out and this would mean mixing with the fluid that is in it. All of these vehicles have over 150,000 miles. Grand Marquis is nearing 200,000.

Thanks

I have nothing against Valvoline Maxlife ATF, in fact I use it in the Escape and highly recommend it for low-viscosity applications, but I'd suggest sticking with the thicker Mercon V for applications where Mercon V is specified. I had great results with both Valvoline Mercon V and even better, Royal Purple Max ATF in my Crown Vic which uses a revised version of the same transmission in your MGM.

if the oil you had installed meets the V specification then they mix without issues.

There sometimes exist non standard kits that used other than oe specification frictions, and require special oils. If your rebuilder used one of them then problems such as chattering can occur.

I would contact the respective companies and insure it the oil meets the Mercon v specificion and you should be good to go. if you did get a chatter some lubeguard red should take care of it.

Rod

I've used MaxLife in Mercon LV and Toyota WS applications with great success. I wouldn't mind using it for Dex/Merc/MercV, but I would most likely get some M1 or Amsoil if I wanted a premium product.

No issues at this time just planning some overdue preventive maintenance. Don't want mixing fluids to cause an issue though either. Would prefer to keep all the vehicles on the same ATF diet but not at the risk of having issues.

I've always just used SuperTech Mercon V in my 4R75E.... almost 200,000 miles here, also.

I'm getting ready to change it (about 5 quarts at a time) again.

My last 3 cars have all been Lincolns requiring MerconV. While I understand that the Valvoline MaxLife LV will not shear near as fast as the MerconV, I'm much more comfortable with the higher viscosity. No LV's for me. If you're worried about semi-symthetic MercV's shearing down to below the MaxLife LV by 25K-30K miles....then change it by 20K.....or use a full synthetic MerconV that barely shears.

I'm not sure why there's so much love for Maxlife. If you look at the spec sheet, it's not approved by any manufacturer and there's even a disclaimer that says it's not suitable for use in vehicles where the fluid doesn't meet OEM spec in CA. The key wording is that it's suitable for use in all those specs listed, but is actually not approved by any. Supertech Mercon V is a Ford approved fluid and I'd use that before I'd use Valvoline.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

In my world I've used several fluids which "met 3309" spec in vehicles calling for such. "Such" includes Toyota T-IV fluids.

I've only used MerconV where MerconV is called for.

The "I only want to stock one kind of fluid" mindset is best gotten over. It's never been about your convenience.

This doesn't make me a bad person.

I have used maxlife in my F150 with the 4R70W and brother in laws 4R75W with no issues.

I chose maxlife for price, full synthetic fluid, and is more sheer stable than Merc V.
Since I choose the Maxlife route, Supertech Merc V has come out and is very cheap, and IMO is a good choice if your looking for an inexpensive Merc V option.

Don;t know about the other transmissions though.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm not sure why there's so much love for Maxlife. If you look at the spec sheet, it's not approved by any manufacturer and there's even a disclaimer that says it's not suitable for use in vehicles where the fluid doesn't meet OEM spec in CA. The key wording is that it's suitable for use in all those specs listed, but is actually not approved by any. Supertech Mercon V is a Ford approved fluid and I'd use that before I'd use Valvoline.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1

Because it works. I have used it in ZF-8, 4F27E,
4R70W, and it will be fine to mix with Mercon V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back