Mixing Synthetic Oil Brands

I once had a half glass of tap water that I topped off with filtered bottled water before downing the whole thing. I wonder how much it shortened my lifespan.

I remember about 10-12 years ago when I told a guy I was using full synthetic of Brand X after switching from conventional oil of Brand Y. He recoiled in horror. Not only did I commit the cardinal sin of switching brands, but I also committed the unpardonable sin of switching from conventional to synthetic, which was sure to prove irreparably disastrous for my '02 Tacoma. I still drive the pickup, 110K miles later, and it's running like a top.

I once had a half glass of tap water that I topped off with filtered bottled water before downing the whole thing. I wonder how much it shortened my lifespan.

I remember about 10-12 years ago when I told a guy I was using full synthetic of Brand X after switching from conventional oil of Brand Y. He recoiled in horror. Not only did I commit the cardinal sin of switching brands, but I also committed the unpardonable sin of switching from conventional to synthetic, which was sure to prove irreparably disastrous for my '02 Tacoma. I still drive the pickup, 110K miles later, and it's running like a top.

LOL the truth will set you free!

Maybe if he was a super-duper “quality“ engine builder he wouldn’t need to worry so much about mixed oil in his engines.

is he just planing to avoid a redo by saying, “you poured WHAT in that engine!”

Here is some info I found in this article:

If you topped up below 10% of the total engine oil capacity, then it is considered that no problems will occur
If you topped off from 10% to 30% it is advisable to reduce the remaining miles to the next oil change twice. For example: you have 4000 miles to the next oil change but meanwhile, you topped up about 30% different oil so it is recommended to change it after 2000 miles
If you topped up more than 30%, it is advisable to have an engine oil change as soon as possible.

CH-4?

I always wondered where all the old web content goes to die.

Back