crystallization of synthetic oil

I was viewing an engine rebuilders U-tube last nite. He mentioned his observation that crystals form in the ring lands of vehicles that are infrequently driven, low miles, not always reaching operating temp. & use full synthetic oil. Changing oil annually is not the issue here. Please comment on your experience.

Syn oils deposits are claimed to be harder than GP II + oils. Just another video that gets people that don't know the subject to form an opinion or a worry.

If this person is going to mention crystals he should at least identify those crystals.

I have torn down engines but have only seen some minor carbon in the grooves of piston lands than could cause sealing problems because the ring will not be allowed to flex, but those deposits are carbon based.

Chemically speaking, I would dispute his comments as being uninformed.

I was viewing an engine rebuilders U-tube last nite. He mentioned his observation that crystals form in the ring lands of vehicles that are infrequently driven, low miles, not always reaching operating temp. & use full synthetic oil. Changing oil annually is not the issue here. Please comment on your experience.

This isn't the dude that DeBoss garage had that 5.0 at for a teardown was it?

Maybe he was in Alaska and used saturated synthetic sugar water in winter.

due to my success with dino oils (several cars with VERY VERY high mileages), I tried hard to find issues with synthetic oil. I only started using syn 4 years ago so was kind of suspicious. lol
i thought syn was invented to milk the consumer but with the prices so compatible with dino, I no longer care or think that way.

The worst thing that I've read about syn oil is that they are harsh(er) on seals which is also disputed by many. Such is life ... iirc, SOJ used to say API SL is less harsh.

@ ~7 +/- min

I'm not a mechanic but doesn't the pcv side of the engine explain one side being darker ... no one in the video seems to mention that.

I heard his comment in the video about "crystals" of sludge. I suspect the better word choice would be agglomeration. There clearly is sludge in the motor, but his claim that synthetic oils cause "crystals" or agglomeration, is wrong.

This video has now spawned a couple of threads...

Whenever anyone mentions pyramids I think of this house that some dude built in the 80s in Northern Illinois (Wadsworth). It was visible from I-94 along with his statue of Ramses, I don't know if it kept his bread fresh but it didn't keep it from having a serious fire a couple of years ago. The last I heard it was sitting vacant but perhaps has been torn down.

1596471718863.png

Back in happier times (yes the statue was huge):

1596471871005.png

Last edited:
Back