Mixing oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a second hand car with a Buick L67 engine that done about 60K miles. At the moment its running Nulon synthetic 10w-40. The guy I bought it from gave me the leftover jug from the last oil change a little under 2qt left.

I also have other leftover jugs I'd like to use up:

Castrol Edge 5w-30
Valvoline Engine Armour 10w-30
Delo 400 Multigrate 15w-40

Should I just chuck 5 qt of the Delo at it or mix up a cocktail? Suggestions?

I've got Delo Gold Ultra in mine ATM (SCA Calibre diesel)

What'd you get ?

mine was an 1997 Capirce with 90,000 km.

VX Calais with 105,000 km - bought it from my old man who has owned it from new.

How do you find it with the Delo Gold? This one will be mainly driven by my wife for short trips.

That engine was an 80s to early 00s engine.
Im guessing early it was speced for 10/30 and later 5/30 conventional
confused.gif

Anyway, use it, mix it, have fun... don't fry fish in it, it'll make your whole house stink.

my 2005 Buick La Sabre has a mix of Havoline 5w30 and one quart of 20w50 gtx and my oil usage of one quart of oil every 1500 miles has now come to a stop period. Yes, I am a believer in mixing.

I had tried using different oil manufactures in my Buick and nothing changed, was still using one quart of oil per 1500 miles until I added the 20w50 quart for make up and all is ok now.

In your situation, if your engine is not using oil, then use a 10w40 or 10w30 and see how that works out before you get in the mixing business. Oil is cheap, so for 25 bucks for 5 quarts and maybe a filter deal, you are good to go.imho

As soon as my test with the 20w50 quart is over, I will go back and try a 10w40 oil when I change the oil. I had been using a 5w30 which is what the manual calls for and that was not working at all. to be continued ......

Holden specced the L67 down here for 20W-50, with 15W-40 in "cold" conditions...it's silly, but that's in the manual.

Putting the Delo in after playing with the 5w/10w-30S (Nulon synthetic and Shell), I'm sticking to 15W-40,

Cheapest reasonable stuff that I can find is SCA Calibre 15W-40 "diesel", which is the Delo G0ld Ultra, at $29 for 5.5 litres. It's still Isosyn.

I'd base your fill on the Delo 400, and use 1-2 litres of what you need gotten rid of if that's your aim.

I get 20L drums of Delo 400 from the local Caltex truck depot for about $90 so its pretty good value. My old BMW E30 loves the stuff and I'm sure the Holden will too.

Shannow, I think I'll take your recommendation and throw 1L of leftover oil and then top it up with the Delo. Basically I'm trying to use up the leftover from a few old jugs.

Go ahead and mix away. My last change consisted of a couple years worth of various half quarts that were left over and unused. I just poured the left over quarts into a Mobil 5000 jug over time. It was approx a blend of mobil 5000, castrol syn blend, AAP syn, NAPA syn, Amsoil, half bottle of Mos2, QS conv., and some others I cant remember. Been running it 2000 miles on it so far. Go for it.

2005 Buick continued: changed the oil yesterday, coupon for Valvoline, went with maxi-life 1040 blend, will see if the oil usage will continue to be stopped as it was with the mixing of 20w50 with 5w30. Will know by 1500 mile mark if Im still using oil or if it will be stopped. to be continued.

Oil usage with the new Max Life 10w40 blend continues to be using oil . As soon as it gets to a quart low, will go back to adding the 20w50 GTX as I did when I had the old 5w30 Havoline dino in there. If it is a valve seal problem, maybe the Max Life is still doing it thing of swelling the seals, but if not, I do know that 20w50 will fix it ....we shall see...

I'd mix with the Delo to keep it 40 weight. If you want to thin it out then mix in the 30 weights in your stash.

Good luck.

2005 Buick again: today April 26, 10/40 maxlife blend. Still had to add 20w50 , 1500 miles ago , oil usage has stopped at the moment. I have no clue, but the 20w50 one quart added has done the trick. May change the whole thing out to 20w50 next time and see. Some one in here did that, but I cannot find his post yet...

From April 26: oil usage did continue, I thought it was over, but,,,now today, oil usuage has stopped over 2 weeks,,What I did, I poured in a can of Sea-foam( yep,tuneup in a can,lol) No more oil usage as of this moment and its been 1500 miles which it would use a quart. If sea-foam fixed it , I do not know how it did it, but no oil usage yet.........crossing fingerssssssss, went to Florida and back, 1540 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back