Mixing Liqui Moly lifter additive and lucas any harm?

I do have some videos I posted of the sound last month if you want to listen to it. I'll post them on here as well but I may be a bit exaggerating but it isn't that quiet either when stopped at stop lights

That is true, I'm defiantly probably jumping to conclusions as I just want to get it quieted down at least a little bit.

Guessing a bit here....but that doesnt sound like valves to me. More like a purge valve.

How many miles on this Sienna?
101k I started to hear it quite a while ago, I've been hearing it since around 82k+ but I wasn't noticing it as much back then, could be cause I wasn't trying to listen to it. I bought it with 77k miles didn't hear it back then. I guess I started hearing it more after I changed the oil.

101k I started to hear it quite a while ago, I've been hearing it since around 82k+ but I wasn't noticing it as much back then, could be cause I wasn't trying to listen to it. I bought it with 77k miles didn't hear it back then. I guess I started hearing it more after I changed the oil.

It sounds like the previous owner either did not maintain it well or something happened. It got filled with thicker oil to disguise the sound. Then you bought it and changed the oil.

I would give this engine a good look and listen over if you plan on keeping it. Some of the other possibilities that were mentioned here might be true. Check your plugs too.

It sounds like the previous owner either did not maintain it well or something happened. It got filled with thicker oil to disguise the sound. Then you bought it and changed the oil.
Well, that would suck I guess, should I still put in 5w-30? The engine looks good, doesn't look it's sludged up in the valve covers. Engine doesn't even burn 1 drip of oil either.

Would possibly cleaning the engine out help with something like people do in videos?

I'll look at the exhaust make sure it doesn't have any cracks in it or anything. It may tick for like 2 minutes then stop for 5 seconds and then continue again.

Thank you for your time and advice. I do want this engine to last to 300k miles, so if that means losing 2 mpg from switching to a higher viscosity oil I'm fine with it.

Well, that would suck I guess, should I still put in 5w-30? The engine looks good, doesn't look it's sludged up in the valve covers. Engine doesn't even burn 1 drip of oil either.

Would possibly cleaning the engine out help with something like people do in videos?

I'll look at the exhaust make sure it doesn't have any cracks in it or anything. It may tick for like 2 minutes then stop for 5 seconds and then continue again.

Thank you for your time and advice. I do want this engine to last to 300k miles, so if that means losing 2 mpg from switching to a higher viscosity oil I'm fine with it.
Step 1 is determining what actually is making the noise. It can be a variety of things and most of them won't be oil-related. Sure, it's also easy to dump a can of the additive in for a few bucks and see what it does if anything...it's not going to hurt a thing to try it so keep that in mind.

Step 1 is determining what actually is making the noise. It can be a variety of things and most of them won't be oil-related. Sure, it's also easy to dump a can of the additive in for a few bucks and see what it does if anything...it's not going to hurt a thing to try it so keep that in mind.

This.

Yeah, I went ahead and dumped a bottle of the Liqui moly, I'll see if it changes anything after driving a few hundred miles which shouldn't be hard as this vehicle drives about 100+ miles a day. Then I'll update this thread.

Well, I went ahead and changed out the oil and put in 5W-30 Just like you suggested, the noise is gone when warmed up. I guess I should just run 5W-30 now? I used Castrol Edge High performance.
Three videos of the engine running,

It rarely gets ever down to 0F over here in Washington so I'm honestly not worried about cold starts.

Well, I went ahead and changed out the oil and put in 5W-30 Just like you suggested, the noise is gone when warmed up. I guess I should just run 5W-30 now?
Three videos of the engine running,

It rarely gets ever down to 0F over here in Washington so I'm honestly not worried about cold starts.

Did the LM additive do anything?

Noise is back after driving a little while with 5W-30, 5W-30 actually made the noise a bit worse but switched back to 0W-20 and now it's quieter. So, back to step 1, From a local mechanic a few weeks ago told me that it's normal noise these 2GR-FE's have sometimes so I shouldn't worry about it. So with the radio turned up I should be fine.

Dump the Lucas. I’d start using HPL’s engine cleaner mixed in with a “cheap” synthetic for 3-5K. Do this twice, followed by a can of BG EPR per label instructions(idle for 15-20 minutes - don’t drive the van). I suspect stuck lifters, Toyota’s 2GR engines use HLAs vs. solid lifters.

Since there is absolutely nothing in Lucas Oil Stabilizer, you've nothing to worry about mixing those two.
Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% proven method to dilute the beneficial components in any motor oil that meets API specs. If you feel compelled to buy this stuff, please use it on projects like squeaky door hinges, rust spots on fenders, and oiling the chain on your kid’s bike. It will never go anywhere near the fill hole on any of my engines.

You’ll be doing your engine a favor by dumping the Lucas-contaminated oil ASAP.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is a 100% proven method to dilute the beneficial components in any motor oil that meets API specs. If you feel compelled to buy this stuff, please use it on projects like squeaky door hinges, rust spots on fenders, and oiling the chain on your kid’s bike. It will never go anywhere near the fill hole on any of my engines.

You’ll be doing your engine a favor by dumping the Lucas-contaminated oil ASAP.
But it's so bright.....and that little gear thing with the handle on the counter at Advance Auto.

Back