MityVac Fluid Evacuator - Awesome-sauce?

I used to be in the camp of evacuators are dumb, crawl underneath, get all the oil out...
I decided to try out the MityVac. This thing is awesome-sauce.
I have used it on a 2015 Altima 4 banger, 2007 TSX K24 and a 2013 Civic LX. All with good results.
You get 2 tubes; a bigger and a smaller. Today, on a 2019 CR-V, the bigger tube fit inside the dipstick tube, but couldn't snake down to the pan.
The smaller one worked perfectly. This oil pan holds about 4 quarts; I got 'em all. Just like on the other cars.
I plan on draining old school every other oil change when I swap the filter.
Will a little more oil drain pulling the plug? Sure. I think. Gonna find out. But I'm sold for now.
No jacking, no ramps, no drain pan, no mess.
Gonna do a PS flush on our beloved TSX next.

IMG_20200715_110014.jpg

IMG_20200715_110027.jpg

IMG_20200715_111553.jpg

IMG_20200715_121357.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, they’re good tools to have. Especially for transmissions. Won’t be used every day, but when they are, they make life much easier.

I'm totally sold on topside oil changes on my Audi. Can be done in like 15 minutes with even breaking a sweat.
I've started doing all my other vehicles too. 5k oci and 10k fci with Fram Ultras. I still topside with the filter change as all my filters can be reached easily without jacking up the car.

I bought one a few years ago for getting ATF out before dropping the pan. It has come in very handy over the years.

which one are you looking at?

HF has this one for $72 after coupon it compares to the 7201 mityvac that retails around $110

I have this one.. it was around $100 with coupon
and is air powered(compressed air to make vacuum)

other Mityvac 7200 series start around $105

Topsider which I dont recommend as much ~~$50
but works ok.

I thought about the HF, but I have had issues with some of their products.
Not worth the risk, at least to me.
I bought this for $107:

Well, I used one yesterday to do an oil change on my wife’s Mercedes ML350. Wasn’t a great experience. Took me 30 minutes to get that oil out, so I think it really depends on which mity vac you’re using. Mine was a hand pump model, but I’ve used the pneumatic ones and those are much better.

And the oil was hot, figured that would help. Not so much. But yes, I do think these things are good, it’s just you have to have a good one for it to be worth while.

Well, I used one yesterday to do an oil change on my wife’s Mercedes ML350. Wasn’t a great experience. Took me 30 minutes to get that oil out, so I think it really depends on which mity vac you’re using. Mine was a hand pump model, but I’ve used the pneumatic ones and those are much better.

And the oil was hot, figured that would help. Not so much. But yes, I do think these things are good, it’s just you have to have a good one for it to be worth while.
If you don't mind, what was the issue? I have had a minor problem snaking the tube down properly. But I am learning. I think I will just use the smaller tube all the time now.
What was your experience? Was it a MityVac?

I have a LiquiVac

Works well. The only issue is the handle pulled out of mine trying to "pump" the vacuum. It went right back in and still works, so easy fix. Also hot fluid while in the desert on a hot day with it holding vacuum caused it to implod some. I like those MityVacs though, if I was to buy over I would get one of those instead.

Sediments and impurities will work their way out with gravity easier (i.e. drain plug classic), IMHO. Plus I'm (and dare to say most here) like to get the ultimate last drop of old out. One huge plus for these if your application doesn't have a drain plug (example Altima CVT pan). And this will save you the hassle of dealing with drain plug wear and/or new crush/o ring washers.

If you don't mind, what was the issue? I have had a minor problem snaking the tube down properly. But I am learning. I think I will just use the smaller tube all the time now.
What was your experience? Was it a MityVac?
It is a mityvac. Probably an older model. It has a T handle directly coming out of the reservoir up top. Capacity is 6.8 liters (I think).

It is just so slow. Took forever to suck everything out. Then again it was 8.4 quarts of oil and I had to empty it once. I find part of the problem with using these things is the length of the suction tube - they’re not long enough to go down that dipstick tube and allow the MityVac to sit on the floor - so I have to put it up in the engine compartment and have it lean on it’s side between the radiator and engine. It’s not ideal. And because of the angle, the tube that attaches to the vac tends to bend and wants to come out. I know you can put extensions on the vac tube, I don’t have it. Maybe that would make it easier.

Now I do have a few at my shop...one air driven, but it quickly developed issues with the on/off valve. And it seems to have lost suction over the years (3 years old now). But it wasn’t a ton of money...maybe $150? I can’t remember.

Sediments and impurities will work their way out with gravity easier (i.e. drain plug classic), IMHO. Plus I'm (and dare to say most here) like to get the ultimate last drop of old out. One huge plus for these if your application doesn't have a drain plug (example Altima CVT pan). And this will save you the hassle of dealing with drain plug wear and/or new crush/o ring washers.

True, but argument is that the sediment will get caught by the filter. Now that's assuming the sediment does flow with the oil instead of staying in place while oil passes by it.

As for the use, makes sense if all of your work can be done top side. Some vehicles require you to get on the ground under the car anyway to remove the filter.

I plan on draining old school and servicing the filter every other time.
I will probably still evacuate the oil with the MityVac; pulling the plug will let me know just how much is remaining.
The MityVac is so much easier than sloshing around an oil pan.
Again, this attitude is pretty much removed from my older way of thinking.

I bet you will like the MityVac fluid extractor. Just my 2 cents.

Have the mitivac air operated one. MV7300. Works well but obviously you have to have a compressor to run it. Oil takes a while to evacuate period. But I just set it up and do something else for 10-15 mins then when it stops pulling I move the tube deeper or up and see if any more comes out. A drain plug is faster without a doubt especially if hot oil.

The thinner diameter tube is needed for the oil dipsticks and by itself it’s too short like someone else said to have on the ground. I put mine in a work platform in front of the car.

I used to be in the camp of evacuators are dumb, crawl underneath, get all the oil out...
I decided to try out the MityVac. This thing is awesome-sauce.
I have used it on a 2015 Altima 4 banger, 2007 TSX K24 and a 2013 Civic LX. All with good results.
You get 2 tubes; a bigger and a smaller. Today, on a 2019 CR-V, the bigger tube fit inside the dipstick tube, but couldn't snake down to the pan.
The smaller one worked perfectly. This oil pan holds about 4 quarts; I got 'em all. Just like on the other cars.
I plan on draining old school every other oil change when I swap the filter.
Will a little more oil drain pulling the plug? Sure. I think. Gonna find out. But I'm sold for now.
No jacking, no ramps, no drain pan, no mess.
Gonna do a PS flush on our beloved TSX next.

I bought one a month ago since Seattle has more rainy days vs sunny. It took about 6 - 10 minutes to do four quarts (closer to 4.3) out of my Fit but it was worth it as it was able to suck out a dark thicker oil that probably wouldn't have drained the normal way. This car was having issues with oil usage so I was doing 5k changes with different oils to clean things up and was able to reuse the same 20k filter a couple times. Also used it on my lawn mower, less fuss and less mess and will be using it on my generator later this year. Well worth the investment being able to do an oil change on a rainy day with the bonus of getting oil a normal drain wouldn't get out.

Back