mitsubishi outlander

That Nissan buy-in was a big coup. Nissan was the one who reported on Mitsubishi regarding their fuel economy numbers scandal. The stock share price plummeted and Nissan swooped in and bought it.

The scandal involved the Mitsubishi Kei cars which are hugely popular in Japan. Sales disappeared overnight on that news.
The mega-dealer dislike of Nissan could be for any number of things. Maybe the lunch was bad at some corporate blow show in 1993.

I've seen a couple of the buy here pay here places have turned into new Mitsubishi dealers. They seem to target their advertising at the subprime, zero down crowd of purchasing cars.

I haven't driven the outlander, but they seem to be 10-12 grand used for a decent commuter CUV, maybe a couple years old.

Thats the market I am in for used car buying. Try to get something with 20k-30k miles on it for 10 grand, and pay it off in a year.

I've seen a couple of the buy here pay here places have turned into new Mitsubishi dealers. They seem to target their advertising at the subprime, zero down crowd of purchasing cars.
Mitsubishi had to repo 50,000+ cars in just one year and they’ve been on the downfall ever since. they might be targeting subprime buyers now but the 0-0-0 deal was on an entirely new level

That Nissan buy-in was a big coup. Nissan was the one who reported on Mitsubishi regarding their fuel economy numbers scandal. The stock share price plummeted and Nissan swooped in and bought it.

The scandal involved the Mitsubishi Kei cars which are hugely popular in Japan. Sales disappeared overnight on that news.

Mitsubishi were building Nissan Kei cars for Nissan in their factories - all specs including fuel economy numbers would have been supplied by Nissan. So Nissan dobbed in Mitsubishi for building Nissan cars...and then picked up Mitsubishi for a bargain price. All a little suspicious to me.

Mitsu can be thought of as the old-school tech that you just can't give up. Just my opinion. They're outdated, boring, under-equipped compared to the competitors. However, those guys really know how to screw together a car. Mitsu still builds some of the best Japanese (albeit mostly made in the USA) vehicles you can buy today (disregard the Mirage, that's an outlier). Other than a few design updates, they've basically used the same engine, trans, platform, everything from 10 years ago. Maybe 5, but still. They took a play from the GM handbook: continue to develop and improve a proven and (most importantly, paid for) platform until it's no longer viable.

Look back to the mid 00's, Mitsu used basically one chassis to underpin the Galant, and Endeavor. Little stretch here, little width there, taller springs, boom! We made an SUV out of a sedan for peanuts. Great idea, subpar implementation. Given the prices new Mitsu's go for, I'd have no issue recommending a new Outlander Sport. They're proven, reliable, and they actually have a half-decent CVT trans. Way better than say... Subaru of late. That 2.4 4-banger? Part of the GEMA "world" engines shared by Chrysler, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi. Not without their faults, but very tough engines overall. I would confidently say that Mitsu's version was best, followed by Chrysler's, then Hyundai/Kia's.

How about the V6 option, my personal preference if I were to buy one. The 6B31. Where's it's history come from? Well, the lowly 3.0 V6 that powered my parent's 1994 Plymouth Voyager for a painless 160k miles before the CHRYSLER designed automatic transmission gave up. We sold it to a family friend that converted it into a 5 speed V6 van using a combo of 4-banger manual van parts and V6 Dodge Duster parts. Too funny. The same engine design cranked out 300 HP in the DOHC, twin-turbo 3000GT VR-4. Talk about proven.

Anyways, aside from the Mirage, any Mitsu is a solid vehicle. Parts availability won't go anywhere, they still sell these models globally and they have to support them. If you're worried, take a look at Saab. I can still call up the (once) local Saab dealer and order parts. Bit of a wait vs. a common vehicle? Sure. But they're there. They haven't built a new Saab in a decade almost, so that should tell you something!

Last edited:
We bought a 2007 Outlander new in 07. With the 3.0l V6, 6 speed auto and AWD it was great for Calgary winters. Fit, finish and function were great. Should have kept it. There are two dedicated Mitsubishi dealers in Calgary.

Mitsu can be thought of as the old-school tech that you just can't give up. Just my opinion. They're outdated, boring, under-equipped compared to the competitors. However, those guys really know how to screw together a car. Mitsu still builds some of the best Japanese (albeit mostly made in the USA) vehicles you can buy today (disregard the Mirage, that's an outlier). Other than a few design updates, they've basically used the same engine, trans, platform, everything from 10 years ago. Maybe 5, but still. They took a play from the GM handbook: continue to develop and improve a proven and (most importantly, paid for) platform until it's no longer viable.

Look back to the mid 00's, Mitsu used basically one chassis to underpin the Galant, and Endeavor. Little stretch here, little width there, taller springs, boom! We made an SUV out of a sedan for peanuts. Great idea, subpar implementation. Given the prices new Mitsu's go for, I'd have no issue recommending a new Outlander Sport. They're proven, reliable, and they actually have a half-decent CVT trans. Way better than say... Subaru of late. That 2.4 4-banger? Part of the GEMA "world" engines shared by Chrysler, Hyundai, and Mitsubishi. Not without their faults, but very tough engines overall. I would confidently say that Mitsu's version was best, followed by Chrysler's, then Hyundai/Kia's.

How about the V6 option, my personal preference if I were to buy one. The 6B31. Where's it's history come from? Well, the lowly 3.0 V6 that powered my parent's 1994 Plymouth Voyager for a painless 160k miles before the CHRYSLER designed automatic transmission gave up. We sold it to a family friend that converted it into a 5 speed V6 van using a combo of 4-banger manual van parts and V6 Dodge Duster parts. Too funny. The same engine design cranked out 300 HP in the DOHC, twin-turbo 3000GT VR-4. Talk about proven.

Anyways, aside from the Mirage, any Mitsu is a solid vehicle. Parts availability won't go anywhere, they still sell these models globally and they have to support them. If you're worried, take a look at Saab. I can still call up the (once) local Saab dealer and order parts. Bit of a wait vs. a common vehicle? Sure. But they're there. They haven't built a new Saab in a decade almost, so that should tell you something!

I had an Eclipse cross as a last ditch loaner car and that was easily one of the cheapest feeling, rattly, and loose/poorly fit together cars I’ve ever driven, infotainment looked like something you’d buy off Aliexpress. OP should just buy another Hyundai.

I have a '14 Outlander AWD with the 3.0 V6. Bought it new from a dealer near me, which is still there. I have had zero issues with the car and it serves me well. To be fair. some of the complaints mentioned in this thread are valid;

It isn't as well made as a Toyonda for sure
Gas mileage is ok ~26/27 highway, not stellar
It likes premium gas
If it is an issue, has little cachet with the Land Rover crowd
Dealer network is sparse
Resale might be an issue for some

OTOH;
It was a bargain
Has 10 year warranty
Is reasonably comfortable and quiet
Is paid for

Generally I don't give much credence to what auto journalists say. Years after the purchase what matters is the individual owner's experience. Mine has been positive. Excessive carping about mostly insignificant things will keep any owner from enjoying his vehicle. My motto is 'if you get 90% of what you wanted, be happy'.
Yep, if it didn't like premium and have a timing belt on the V6 I think we'd probably have one around that age. I should go back and test drive one now that we have the Outback, I like it well enough too. I think there's enough of them now that parts shouldn't be an issue for quite a few years even if Mitsubishi leaves N.A.

Back