Mitsubishi engineering bulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some peoples attention..lol
Just got this bulletin today:

Baldwin Engineering Department Bulletin number 05-3 dated June 7, 2005

In February 2004, Baldwin filters withdrew the B227 as a replacement for the applications that called for the Mitsubishi MZ690116 lube filter, due to pressure condidions that exceeded the B227 design limits.

In March 2005, Baldwin introduced the BT7243 lube filter designed to meet the structural requirements of the Mitsubishi MZ690116/Hyundai 26300-35501. The primary groups of applications is listed below. The B227 continues to be used on many other applications that were not involved with the issued stated above.

It goes on to list by make and model the engines affected. Which include Chrysler, Dodge, Hyundai, Kia, Mitsubishi.

Contact Baldwin is you have any questions.

As for Hastings equivalents which is part of Clarcor like Baldwin..I do not know. Contact them if you have questions.

Ya mitsubishi has always added a note in their owners manual about extreem oil pressure when cold.

Maybe they don't use a pressure reliefe valve in the pump?
dunno.gif

Very common problems included cam plugs blowing out of the 3.0 engines and filters splitting on the 2.0 and 2.6.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
Ya mitsubishi has always added a note in their owners manual about extreem oil pressure when cold.

Maybe they don't use a pressure reliefe valve in the pump?
dunno.gif

Very common problems included cam plugs blowing out of the 3.0 engines and filters splitting on the 2.0 and 2.6.

We had an '88 Caravan with a 3.0 in it.Twice the cam plugs were spit out.The wife drove it home 15 miles on the eway.Came in and said somethings wrong,It's making noise and there is oil on the ground.Next mistake was trading it on another Caravan.

I've seen this warning as far back as the Mitsu powered K-Cars. It's a rather assertive recommendation.

Yes, Chris, they do have relief valves, but they do have rather high limits. Mine is 82 lbs. In the 3.0 the size of the bypass bore is substantial (like a 3/8 pipe plug in size ...but the cap that covers it ..has about a 1/32 orifice on it. It's an odd design to me ..but what do I know
dunno.gif

This does appear to drain back to the pan, and not to the suction side of the pump like my distributor driven oil pump.

-

This is just another reason why one should use synthetic oils and 0w's during the winter.

It'd really suck if the oil pump bypass gets clogged up with sludge.

Well I thought i'd wait before posting again.

But no one has commented on the fact it took a YEAR before Baldwin had a replacement filter available.

This is about normal.

It takes that long to test and evaluate a "new" product and have the confidence you've solved the problem.

Once again this is just to insure that their filter met the pressure problems. Which whould include center tube collapse, burst, and the effect of the media itself. Because any component of the filter can effect the testing.

It would be more than just using thicker metal in the filter shell to solve the problem. As some might guess is all it would take.

My only problem is that the filter has a "bypass".
If the filter is in bypass, why would it become damaged
confused.gif

Or, some MFG's filter bypasses don't work as well as advertised
grin.gif

unDummy ..yes, but we don't really know if the bypass can truly shunt that much flow to protect the media in all circumstances. For example: Let's say that the Warner filters that lube owner showed us were absolutely perfect. That is, the media was up to the job, the bypass worked as designed and in full compliance with spec ..and this and that ..yet the loading of the media was 100% saturation and the bypass is only designed/intended to bypass 30% of the flow (plug in any number you like). That is, how do we know that any manufacturer designs the bypass to shunt FULL FLOW? We don't. So there could easily be conditions that could arrise (heavily loaded media in a high volume/high visc situation) where the media would take the insult, since all normal safety mechanisms had reached their limits in compensation.

This is probably something that Baldwin ran into with this filter. The filter was 100% on spec ..but didn't have the capability of handling everything that was thrown at it. It could have had the finest of components, materials, and excellent construction ...yet it failed.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
unDummy ..yes, but we don't really know if the bypass can truly shunt that much flow to protect the media in all circumstances.

You're probably right Gary, but I have a hard time believing the "old-style" plug and coil-spring bypass valve wouldn't be capable of moving sufficent oil volume given the size of the ones I've seen in disassembled oil filters.

If it was one of those "state-of-the-art" clicker or rubber flap designs then it would surely be impossible for something like this to happen. Right?
grin.gif

Besides I thought they engineered a filter for each and every engine that comes along?
grin.gif

quote:

If it was one of those "state-of-the-art" clicker or rubber flap designs then it would surely be impossible for something like this to happen. Right?
grin.gif

Ultra-primo Acme clicker pal. Nothing but the best.
grin.gif

quote:

Besides I thought they engineered a filter for each and every engine that comes along?
grin.gif

Right down to the characteristic lifter tap.
tongue.gif

In reality I see that a clicker has limitations in effectiveness. I can't see them being able to do the job that a open ended bypass valve with it's own little coil spring can do. Perhaps it would be better stated that you can screw up a clicker easier than other bypasses. But I don't think it rates a Yugo or Peugeot reputation for reliability. You do tend to get what you pay for.

Rather than make guesses at why this or that, as Baldwin still sells the B227, all one has to do is buy both filters and have a look at the construction differences.

Pressure problems could be the filters were collapsing, or the gasket was blowing and allowing the filter to leak, or the filter was not able to handle pressure spikes.

Start up pressures are higher than operating pressure.

Gary..you asked recently about "spec" information. I got a complete spec for a hydraulic filter. They impulse tested the spin-on filter 60,000 cycles at 72 psi with no failure.

Again, 0-72-0-72-0-72 60,000 times with hydraulic fluid.

When you do this test on larger automotive filters you can actually see the filter try to be pushed off the filter base. For the smaller automotive ones , you can see it if you look for it.

This would be about what they would do with a "car" filters as well. They don't use 40 psi or 45 psi.. which is the standard operating flow rate for cars.

Amsoil has quit recommending their SDF 20 for Mitsus. A while ago their web site said it was because of their high startup oil pressure. Now they just recommend a different filter.

As far as relief valve sizing issues. When sizing a relief valve for an industrial application, it is not just the pressure that you size for, but it is the flow too. So with x psi relief pressure at x flow you would need say a 2" relief valve. If the valve was too smallthe system could experience pressures above the relief pressure because the relieve valve could not handle all of the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back