Mitchell's Mausers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some years back I picked up a couple of M-48 Mausers from Mitchell's. I was looking for a clean shooter, and didn't care about any historical value. All of the one's I saw at gun shows either looked like they were dragged to the show behind a pick up truck. Or else they were ridiculously over priced for what they were, and looked nowhere near as good. Both of mine came with all of the accessories including bayonets, slings, ammo pouches. All in the new condition you see in the photos.

Both of mine are very accurate, and the actions are typically Mauser.... Smooth as butter. They still have some available, albeit they're getting to be few and far between. And the prices have gone up some. But they still represent a good value for someone looking for a good shooting, nice looking, military Mauser rifle. A lot of "purist's" hate Mitchell's, and claim they falsely advertise their guns. I found that not to be the case at all. I wanted a nice looking, clean, Mauser rifle. That is exactly what Mitchell's delivered. Most every time I take mine to the range, I have people come up to me astounded at how nice they look, and immediately ask me where I bought them. Several members at my local club have since purchased them. And they all are very happy with what they got. If you're in the market for a good looking, good shooting Mauser rifle, don't hesitate to purchase one from Mitchell's. You won't be disappointed when you open the box.... Or pull the trigger at the range.

I don't see any pics if there is supposed to be any
frown.gif

The M48's are decent rifles, especially if you get the early ones that have all milled parts. Mine is a later one with a stamped floorplace and trigger guard.

Mitchells was supposed to be bringing out brand new reproduction K98's a while back, but that seems to have become vaporware. They were supposed to be around 600-700 bucks new. I would have probably purchased one so I can save my old warhorses some wear.

There are many in the Mil-Surp camp that absolutely hate anyone re-finishing a battle rifle. They want all the dings and bruises to show the history.

I'm in the camp that says that's fine for one brought back from a known battle with damage as it shows the stresses of that battle. However, Pop's WW-II bring-back is a good example. It was picked up from a pre-burn pile on a pier in Tokyo Bay, was a last ditch, and was in sorry shape. So I spent a few days (on & off) clearing and cleaning, before it got shot. Should I have left it ugly and rusted?

The average training rifle or reserve rifle in a Greek warehouse (or wherever) that only got shot by the Guard on weekends, dropped in training and put away wet; should, in my mind, be refurbed. I look at Mitchell's as an armorer. And as such, they have every right, and duty, to get the rifles right before shipping, just as any decent armorer would.

I got no [censored] about Mitchell's. They are a good source of good used rifles. They are not CMP, but a sort of commercial version. They fill a need and a market. Good on them
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Mitchell M48 and I really like it. Like you said nice shooter rifle. Very clean.
I was lucky enough to come upon a super clean K98 Mauser in a Pawn Shop still with Swastikas and German proofs in it. K98s are a nicer rifle.
They just look like war guns.
Of course that was before guns became such a popularity and people bought guns because they liked them, not to flip them. Iam hoping our upcoming relationship with Russia opens alot of World War two guns to the United States Russia is sitting on and the collectivety drops out due to the flood of guns and people can once more buy guns just to enjoy and not profit.

One is a "Standard Grade", the other is "Collector Grade". Personally I should have bought 2 "Standard Grade" rifles, because I can't tell the difference. Except for the numbers on the rear sights are clearer and more legible on the "Collector Grade" rifle. Also, the bayonet on the "Collector Grade" rifle is blued, while the bayonet on the "Standard Grade" is polished in the white. But the guns themselves seem to be identical in quality. The "Collector Grade" gun is the rifle in the back, and is more reddish in color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back