Missing glue around inner core

I purchased a Nissan filter at the dealer about two months ago and noticed that there is a section around the inner tube on the bottom of the filter that is missing glue and the pleats of the media can be seen through this groove. I visited the dealer again yesterday and looked inside another filter (same filter number) and it has the same issue. So I guess maybe this is normal for these filters or at least this batch. I have never seen that problem in any other filter brand. Could this missing glue cause any problems or is it irrelevant for the proper functioning of this filter?

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 92

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 48
I don't think it will hurt anything. All the pleat ends are still probably glued to the end cap, so no dirty oil will get by that area.

I take it you looked at all the other filters at the dealership to swap these out, but all looked the same.

If you're not comfortable with it, get a refund and go buy a non-OEM unless you really want to stick with OEM. Or try a diffetent dealership if there is another one not too far away.

Last edited:
I don't think it will hurt anything. All the pleat ends are still probably glued to the end cap, so no dirty oil will get by that area.

I take it you looked at all the other filters at the dealership to swap these out, but all looked the same.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the parts person at the Nissan dealer was nice enough to let me look at another exact filter and it has the same exact section missing glue. I am happy to know that the filter is fine and that I can use without worries. I appreciate your quick and clear answer.

If you're not comfortable with it, get a refund and go buy a non-OEM unless you really want to stick with OEM. Or try a diffetent dealership if there is another one not too far away.
The car is a 2020 Nissan Kicks purchased brand new in February of this year. I get the first two oil change/tire rotations for free from this Nissan dealer. I just had the first free oil change yesterday and will get the second one in another 6 months. But after that I may start doing my own oil changes and use a different filter. I have also used a reputable mechanic for years that accept my own supplies and charge a moderate fee for the change. The reason I bought one filter was to have a visual inspection of it so I know what is going in my car. I've seen a review of this filter on YouTube where the guy cut it open and it looks really good with very even pleats, strong outer casing, etc. Many thanks.

..... But after that I may start doing my own oil changes and use a different filter......
Imo and in my experience, that would be a wise move. Assuming the topic filter still made by Grupo Gonher they also exhibit an adbv defect as shown in the link below. There have been several c&ps ( two linked in link) of topic filter also showing the defect. Especially considering it's oem, not impressed.

Imo and in my experience, that would be a wise move. Assuming the topic filter still made by Grupo Gonher they also exhibit an adbv defect as shown in the link below. There have been several c&ps ( two linked in link) of topic filter also showing the defect. Especially considering it's oem, not impressed.

Thank you for the information. I am now very hesitant to continue using these Nissan oil filters.

What's special about the Nissan filter that one would go out of their way to get one instead of just running something off the Wally's shelf. What car is it and how many miles so far?

What's special about the Nissan filter that one would go out of their way to get one instead of just running something off the Wally's shelf. What car is it and how many miles so far?
Nothing special about Nissan filters. I just wanted to see what is being put in my car as the first two oil changes/filters are free for buying a new car at this dealer. I purchased one while I was waiting at the dealer on an unrelated matter.

I ran Nissan filters for a while and the Gonher made ones actually seemed pretty well made. I cut several open and found no issues and was actually quite pleased with their construction.

Nothing special about Nissan filters. I just wanted to see what is being put in my car as the first two oil changes/filters are free for buying a new car at this dealer. I purchased one while I was waiting at the dealer on an unrelated matter.
I wonder a lot of car owners are unaware of oil filters with defect like this goes into their cars during oil change even at reputable car dealerships.

I wonder a lot of car owners are unaware of oil filters with defect like this goes into their cars during oil change even at reputable car dealerships.
In the case of the topic Gonher filter, dealers are selling and installing it daily. Because they are endorsed and sold by the vehicle manufacturer OEM OF are imo 'supposed' to or should provide a higher level of confidence. If I had not cut the topic filter open I would not have found the adbv defect. Also the other subsequent anecdotes posted this subforum where the defect went unrecognized.

So with very few exceptions majority unaware of the defect.

Not intending to belabor the point, but Gonher does make more than one filter application for Nissan, eg., 15208-9E018. The latter is the longer version of the topic filter. As shown in this thread it too exhibits the same adbv defect.

While I wouldn't use the topic filter again, perhaps the OP will use the one he has and post a c&p to see if adbv is found (post use) in the same position and shape as the three anecdotes found on this sub-forum. Besides the one I found, the other topic filter posted Here, pic #3, shows the defect. In the other anecdotes however, neither OP recognized what had occurred with the adbv. Luckily there was/is a pic posted with adbv in place where found on dissection.

Last edited:
Back