Mismanaged construction sheared off my lower ball joint.

I went through some small road construction late at night recently, these fools cut out the asphalt across the road and didn't cover it. It was over 3" deep, square cut so no smooth edge. No one was attending to flagging traffic even though they had both directions using the same single lane.

I didn't see the cutout because the stadium lighting they were using was facing towards me. Said cutout was 2' long and the width of the lane, unavoidable. After I hit it, some seconds later my wheel swung out and crushed into the fender. The lower ball joint had sheared off. The balljoint did not pop out, it broke in half. Fortunately this happened to my Honda and not anything overly valuable.

I know a thing or two about road construction so I took video of me measuring the depth of the cutout for insurance. 2" requires a steel plate. It was over 3" deep. These dummies put plywood down afterwards. Unfortunately, while I was waiting for a tow truck I jacked the car up to set the wheel back in place to hopefully have a chance getting up that rollback and while trying to unjam the wedged/broken axle I crushed the tip of my finger and took the nail off. No fun.

Surprisingly, so far, their insurance company seems willing to make this right. One because I have good documentation and two because the permitee in this case will look bad if they mistreat me since I got the Township and DOT involved from the start.

The car will get fixed, body work and paint(likely all by me) but I'm thinking just about everything up front should be replaced. Especially the upper balljoint/tie rod and brake hose that was strained. Both sides so it's all fresh.

Go get 'em tiger, hope they make it right!

Though that ball joint probably had wear before it popped. A good one should have taken the hit.

Wife has a little experience with DOT, doing stuff 100% to their spec is rare.

I went through some small road construction late at night recently, these fools cut out the asphalt across the road and didn't cover it. It was over 3" deep, square cut so no smooth edge. No one was attending to flagging traffic even though they had both directions using the same single lane.

I didn't see the cutout because the stadium lighting they were using was facing towards me. Said cutout was 2' long and the width of the lane, unavoidable. After I hit it, some seconds later my wheel swung out and crushed into the fender. The lower ball joint had sheared off. The balljoint did not pop out, it broke in half. Fortunately this happened to my Honda and not anything overly valuable.

I know a thing or two about road construction so I took video of me measuring the depth of the cutout for insurance. 2" requires a steel plate. It was over 3" deep. These dummies put plywood down afterwards. Unfortunately, while I was waiting for a tow truck I jacked the car up to set the wheel back in place to hopefully have a chance getting up that rollback and while trying to unjam the wedged/broken axle I crushed the tip of my finger and took the nail off. No fun.

Surprisingly, so far, their insurance company seems willing to make this right. One because I have good documentation and two because the permitee in this case will look bad if they mistreat me since I got the Township and DOT involved from the start.

The car will get fixed, body work and paint(likely all by me) but I'm thinking just about everything up front should be replaced. Especially the upper balljoint/tie rod and brake hose that was strained. Both sides so it's all fresh.
Sounds like New Orleans

Go get 'em tiger, hope they make it right!

Though that ball joint probably had wear before it popped. A good one should have taken the hit.

Wife has a little experience with DOT, doing stuff 100% to their spec is rare.

You'd think. It snapped it clean off, which is pretty hard to do. The lower ball joint on the Accord is stout imo.

Well that just sucks, and the fingernail to boot. Good thing you documented everything. I'm sure it will all get fingered out quickly.

Go after them for all they're worth. As far as I'm concerned, anything on that corner is now compromised.

Get them to pay for all new everything. Strut, brake hose, CV shaft, any suspension arm connected to the knuckle, and maybe even the wheel bearing. Heck, you could make an argument for possible tire damage as well.

Years ago, when I had my 2003 Marauder, I stopped at a name brand gas station and filled up with premium. My tank was very low at the time, and I filled it to the brim in preparation for a long road trip the following day. By the time I'd made it the 7 miles home, my car was barely running and the exhaust reeked of diesel.

Long story short: the delivery driver accidentally filled the in-ground tank with diesel instead of unleaded. The car ended up being fine: all I did was replace the plugs and fuel filter at a cost of around $40. However, being as I work at a shop, I 100% invoiced their insurance company for a new fuel pump, filter, plugs, tank draining, the cost of fuel, etc. All at retail price. They cut me a check for $1,400 no questions asked.

I hit a curb in the median, at night, 35mph, in the rain In a Hertz rental Grand Cherokee. It also broke the lower ball joint. I never saw the median and thought I was in the left lane.

My credit card insurance covered $11k of the bogus $22k charges. Yikes.

Wheel, Tire, lower control arm, and CV joint. Total parts under $2k. Then labor and towing.

My employer refused to pay the balance as Hertz refused to substantiate the losses. So it’s on my credit and there it will stay until I die.

Last edited:
I hit a curb in the median, at night, 35mph, in the rain In a Hertz rental Grand Cherokee. It also broke the lower ball joint. I never saw the median and thought I was in the left lane.

My credit card insurance covered $11k of the bogus $22k charges. Yikes.

Wheel, Tire, lower control arm, and CV joint. Total parts under $2k. Then labor and towing.

My employer refused to pay the balance as Hertz refused to substantiate the losses. So it’s on my credit and there it will stay until I die.
Curious why you did not turn over to your auto insurance who is experienced at the matters and likely Hertz. Or was it principal which I understand.

Ah someone brought this back up after 1 year, believe it not I'm still fighting with their insurance company about this claim. Though they did pay for the bodywork estimate just recently, $2900. But the separate estimate for the suspension damage/broken axle ($1450), they have not, yet.

I just finished up putting a new fender on and respraying the front and some other parts. Came out looking fantastic. I was patient and found a same color fender, but with the variants on this color, that doesn't mean it would match. The clear coat was not in great shape on the new fender so I sanded it down carefully, 600/800/1000, mixed some fresh Redondo Red base coat into the clear, and put two coats on it. I don't have a photo but the match to the door and hood is excellent. The bumper had failing clear and 9" crack from this accident, I repaired it and filled the front plate holes. So it was resprayed with basecoat but I blended it into the sides of the bumper in case it wasn't going to match well against the fenders. Really came out great.

Attachments

• 20221010_145915.jpg
    20221010_145915.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 110969.jpeg
    110969.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231103_163405.jpg
    20231103_163405.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231103_175245.jpg
    20231103_175245.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231103_192559.jpg
    20231103_192559.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231104_041119.jpg
    20231104_041119.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231104_195401.jpg
    20231104_195401.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231105_161319.jpg
    20231105_161319.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231105_170314.jpg
    20231105_170314.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231105_231650.jpg
    20231105_231650.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Ah someone brought this back up after 1 year, believe it not I'm still fighting with their insurance company about this claim. Though they did pay for the bodywork estimate just recently, $2900. But the separate estimate for the suspension damage/broken axle ($1450), they have not, yet.

I just finished up putting a new fender on and respraying the front and some other parts. Came out looking fantastic. I was patient and found a same color fender, but with the variants on this color, that doesn't mean it would match. The clear coat was not in great shape on the new fender so I sanded it down carefully, 600/800/1000, mixed some fresh Redondo Red base coat into the clear, and put two coats on it. I don't have a photo but the match to the door and hood is excellent. The bumper had failing clear and 9" crack from this accident, I repaired it and filled the front plate holes. So it was resprayed with basecoat but I blended it into the sides of the bumper in case it wasn't going to match well against the fenders. Really came out great.
since i can't say the swear words I want to.. i'll use the pg-rated version..

DAAANNNGGGGGGG! that looks awesome! great work! I need you to come spray my stuff, that looks better than factory! (y):D

now to force the insurance company to pay for the mechanical damage.. If they won't budge you might have to sue them, they've already admitted they're liable to pay since they paid for the bodywork.. I'm not talking lawyer level, just small claims court.. also..you can also lodge a complaint with your state's insurance board about this and that might get a fire under the insurance company to pay. I know Michigan has one. Not trying to bring the moment down just saying..

But the bodywork is awesome.. yup I said it again!!

Last edited:
Maybe a letter to your state rep (if state DOT) or county commissioners (if county)?

I agree make it clear they already paid for body work, essentially admitting liability for damage to the vehicle.

Back