Mismanaged construction sheared off my lower ball joint.

I went through some small road construction late at night recently, these fools cut out the asphalt across the road and didn't cover it. It was over 3" deep, square cut so no smooth edge. No one was attending to flagging traffic even though they had both directions using the same single lane.

I didn't see the cutout because the stadium lighting they were using was facing towards me. Said cutout was 2' long and the width of the lane, unavoidable. After I hit it, some seconds later my wheel swung out and crushed into the fender. The lower ball joint had sheared off. The balljoint did not pop out, it broke in half. Fortunately this happened to my Honda and not anything overly valuable.

I know a thing or two about road construction so I took video of me measuring the depth of the cutout for insurance. 2" requires a steel plate. It was over 3" deep. These dummies put plywood down afterwards. Unfortunately, while I was waiting for a tow truck I jacked the car up to set the wheel back in place to hopefully have a chance getting up that rollback and while trying to unjam the wedged/broken axle I crushed the tip of my finger and took the nail off. No fun.

Surprisingly, so far, their insurance company seems willing to make this right. One because I have good documentation and two because the permitee in this case will look bad if they mistreat me since I got the Township and DOT involved from the start.

The car will get fixed, body work and paint(likely all by me) but I'm thinking just about everything up front should be replaced. Especially the upper balljoint/tie rod and brake hose that was strained. Both sides so it's all fresh.

Go get 'em tiger, hope they make it right!

Though that ball joint probably had wear before it popped. A good one should have taken the hit.

Wife has a little experience with DOT, doing stuff 100% to their spec is rare.

Specs are crystal clear for DOT and road construction. I am sure they will pay out your vehicles value or the cost to fix(whichever cheaper) to settle it out.

I went through some small road construction late at night recently, these fools cut out the asphalt across the road and didn't cover it. It was over 3" deep, square cut so no smooth edge. No one was attending to flagging traffic even though they had both directions using the same single lane.

I didn't see the cutout because the stadium lighting they were using was facing towards me. Said cutout was 2' long and the width of the lane, unavoidable. After I hit it, some seconds later my wheel swung out and crushed into the fender. The lower ball joint had sheared off. The balljoint did not pop out, it broke in half. Fortunately this happened to my Honda and not anything overly valuable.

I know a thing or two about road construction so I took video of me measuring the depth of the cutout for insurance. 2" requires a steel plate. It was over 3" deep. These dummies put plywood down afterwards. Unfortunately, while I was waiting for a tow truck I jacked the car up to set the wheel back in place to hopefully have a chance getting up that rollback and while trying to unjam the wedged/broken axle I crushed the tip of my finger and took the nail off. No fun.

Surprisingly, so far, their insurance company seems willing to make this right. One because I have good documentation and two because the permitee in this case will look bad if they mistreat me since I got the Township and DOT involved from the start.

The car will get fixed, body work and paint(likely all by me) but I'm thinking just about everything up front should be replaced. Especially the upper balljoint/tie rod and brake hose that was strained. Both sides so it's all fresh.
Sounds like New Orleans

Gasbuggy

Go get 'em tiger, hope they make it right!

Though that ball joint probably had wear before it popped. A good one should have taken the hit.

Wife has a little experience with DOT, doing stuff 100% to their spec is rare.

You'd think. It snapped it clean off, which is pretty hard to do. The lower ball joint on the Accord is stout imo.

Well that just sucks, and the fingernail to boot. Good thing you documented everything. I'm sure it will all get fingered out quickly.

Go after them for all they're worth. As far as I'm concerned, anything on that corner is now compromised.

Get them to pay for all new everything. Strut, brake hose, CV shaft, any suspension arm connected to the knuckle, and maybe even the wheel bearing. Heck, you could make an argument for possible tire damage as well.

Years ago, when I had my 2003 Marauder, I stopped at a name brand gas station and filled up with premium. My tank was very low at the time, and I filled it to the brim in preparation for a long road trip the following day. By the time I'd made it the 7 miles home, my car was barely running and the exhaust reeked of diesel.

Long story short: the delivery driver accidentally filled the in-ground tank with diesel instead of unleaded. The car ended up being fine: all I did was replace the plugs and fuel filter at a cost of around $40. However, being as I work at a shop, I 100% invoiced their insurance company for a new fuel pump, filter, plugs, tank draining, the cost of fuel, etc. All at retail price. They cut me a check for $1,400 no questions asked.