Miscrimped Wix 57712

Hello all,
Thought I would share my horror story here.
4/10/2022, I went to a track day in my 2011 WRX and ended up spinning a rod bearing. After a couple months of off and on work I had reassembled/built my new EJ255 Engine. I used an OEM short block and refreshed my heads.
Fast forward to last night, 8/22/22 I started the engine in car, things were good until I saw a puddle of oil forming under the car. I just about crapped my pants, here was ~4k about to be flushed down the drain. I got the engine stopped while there was still oil pressure on the gauge. It turned out to be a malformed crimp between the filter can and the filter base plate which didn't let the gasket seal properly with the engine. IT pumped about 1.5qts onto the floor. I initiated a warranty claim with wix, hopefully I will get a replacement filter and some cash for the break-in oil I lost.

Last night was almost a really bad night.

Wix 57712 bad crimp.jpg

wow, I guess its wise to always check for leaks right? This adds to what people have been saying about Wix going downhill. I use the OEM filters on my kia and theyre made by M+H in korea, but they are quality.

Yeah I had installed this filter on when it was on the stand so I'm a little bumed I didn't catch it then. I would have been screwed if this was my normal oil change routine. As I normally put the undertray back on the car before first start after an oil change. Anyway, I will have to be more vigilant now.

I thought wix was made either in china or the united states, why are they made in mexico now?

Up until a couple of years ago I never heard of a problem with a Wix filter. Now recently I have heard quite a few especially in the last few months. Mann and Hummel apparently has done them any justice since taking them over.

Well, I do buy Wix air filters, I guess I'm going to have to inspect for holes in media before installing? :mad:

7055 is a better filter than the teeny 7712 series. 23 psi thread-end bypass too since it meets specs for the FB series as well. Built like a tank, I think I had ‘53 Stude C&P one of mine, or maybe I did it. It’s the only filter I use on my ‘07 Impreza because of the stupidly tight exhaust routing. Perfect balance of cost to lifespan for me, I do 5-6k OCIs (when it’s close & the weather is nice, lol).

Edit: here it is, there’s also a Virgin one around here somewhere

7055 is a better filter than the teeny 7712 series. 23 psi thread-end bypass too since it meets specs for the FB series as well. Built like a tank, I think I had ‘53 Stude C&P one of mine, or maybe I did it. It’s the only filter I use on my ‘07 Impreza because of the stupidly tight exhaust routing. Perfect balance of cost to lifespan for me, I do 5-6k OCIs (when it’s close & the weather is nice, lol).

Edit: here it is, there’s also a Virgin one around here somewhere
I just looked up 7055, it say bypass setting of 27 psi vs the 7712 @ 23psi. Spec on my EJ255 is the 23 psi. I agree that I would love a larger can. Do you think there would be issues with going to a higher bypass setting?

Back