Minimal difference in load rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a rule of thumb, I don't keep tires for more than 3 years in this country due to climatic conditions. So far, I've had 3 sets of Pirelli Scorpion STR's in 265/70-16 112H form. The recommended load rating and speed rating in the manual is 112H, so these are a perfect match.

I'm going to be replacing my tires in June, but would like to start making financial arrangements from now and buy quality tires. I'm considering another set of Scorpion STRs, but reading through Consumer Reports, the Michelin LTX M/S2 is a highly recommended option. It's roughly $75 more than the Pirellis, but these are rated 111T.

Realistically speaking, the speed limiter on this vehicle is set to 170 km/h (106 MPH), which it very rarely sees (if at all). I'm not too concerned about the speed rating, but are there any downsides with a lower load rating, albeit very minor? I don't tow anything with this truck, nor do I carry extremely heavy loads. At worst, it's 4-5 of cartons of drinking water.
lol.gif
Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Would that matter on a tire with a higher treadwear rating? The UTQG on both tires is as follows:

Pirelli Scorpion STR 112H
Treadwear: 520
Traction: A
Temperature: A

Michelin LTX M/S2 111T
Treadwear: 720

The difference, likely, is that the Michelins are technically a P265/70R16 and the Pirellis are a 265/70R16 (note the lack of a preceding "P"). The P means the tire is a P-metric tire and they have a slightly different (and lower, for each respective size) load table. See more here:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/loadtables.html

Bottom line: as long as the size is the same, you can use them.

Yeah, basically Euro-spec tires are rated as full load at 36psi and P-spec are full load at 35psi. Most of the time this results in a one higher load range on the Euro-spec tire.
This is not a hard rule and I have seen many examples where this is wrong, but its reasonably common.
One I can think of off the top of my head is the size I have on my car. 255/45R18. People have had trouble getting these mounted on CVs because Tire shops will look it up in the TRA manual and it lists P255/45R18 as a load range of 93 when the stock tires are either a 97 (P225/60R16) or 98 (P235/55R17). They see this as a safety issue, which it is if that were true.
Problem is, I have not seen any P-spec 255/45R18; they are all Euro which have a load rating of 99 (103 Reinforced).
Your situation is like my Winter tires. They are Euro 215/65R16 LR 98. If I look at the factory pressure it wants 35psi on P225/60R16 LR 97. If I set the 215/65R16 at 35psi it ends up with the same load capacity as the factory size. So no change is needed.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
One I can think of off the top of my head is the size I have on my car. 255/45R18. People have had trouble getting these mounted on CVs because Tire shops will look it up in the TRA manual and it lists P255/45R18 as a load range of 93 when the stock tires are either a 97 (P225/60R16) or 98 (P235/55R17). They see this as a safety issue, which it is if that were true.
Problem is, I have not seen any P-spec 255/45R18; they are all Euro which have a load rating of 99 (103 Reinforced).

In this case, all that should be needed is a quick look at the actual tire itself. As long as the load index is at least as high as the stock load index, they *should* have no trouble installing them. I know some shops are funny about that, though.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The P means the tire is a P-metric tire and they have a slightly different (and lower, for each respective size) load table.

Instead of "table" above, I meant "index". P-metric tires generally have slightly different load indices than their European counterparts (in the same given size). I was thinking of the load tables on BarrysTireTech.com when I wrote that.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

In this case, all that should be needed is a quick look at the actual tire itself. As long as the load index is at least as high as the stock load index, they *should* have no trouble installing them. I know some shops are funny about that, though.

The reports I read they were either too stupid or didnt care enough to pull up the actual tire info and see that the load rating is fine.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for everyone's input.
thumbsup2.gif
Went to Michelin yesterday, and it turns out there is no more stock on the LTX M/S2 in 265/70-16 size. They're not bringing anymore, because they have replaced it with a European tire called the Latitude Cross. The specs on this tire are as follows:

Size: 265/70-16
Load Rating: 112
Speed Rating: H
Treadwear: 320
Country of Origin: Poland

I haven't checked the price on the Pirelli Scorpion STR's just yet, but the Michelin Latitude Cross works out to $854.

That's too bad, because that 320 treadwear rating means that these will likely wear quite quickly. It appears that the tread pattern is also quite "aggressive" for a street tire and is likely to be much louder than the LTX M/S2. I wonder if you can get the M/S2 online and shipped to your location instead?

According to its EU Tire Labeling Class results, the noise level is 71 dB, which is the same as the Michelin 4x4 Synchrone.

Buying online is indeed another possibility, as TireRack ship globally. Would have to see how much it costs though, and take it from there.

I really wish the Latitude Touring was available in this size locally. It's pricey, but appears to be an excellent tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back