Miniature poodle mauled by a pit bull at dog park

Status
Not open for further replies.
just the opposite.These were merica's family dog (C my earlier). "Spot" in "Spanky'n Our Gang", early pic (1880s), Presidents, etc.
Yes, drugies have not helped in last 40 yrs but it's not in 'the genes'. Follow up w/ACC, vets, etc for facts.
Sorry guy, but one dude on a message board defending the breed in a thread about a dog getting mauled by one isn't a preponderance of evidence that the breed isn't higher risk than others due to genetics and breeding practices. As I wrote in my lengthy reply, certain traits are intentionally emphasized with breeding practices; that's the entire point of selective breeding! And those honed genetics can have unintended consequences, particularly, as another poster noted, when that breed is cross-bred with another whose traits are not (or are, depending on how you look at it) complimentary in nature.

Common story: Small dog owner spoils little runt, takes him into a BIG DOG park, lets him instigate, and when a big dog reacts, blame the "mean old big dog." I get so tired of this tripe. Nearly every time I'm at the BIG DOG park, I have to politely ask the small dog owners who break the rules and bring their little dogs in, to please respect the rules and leave because I know darn well if their dog is hurt in the WRONG PARK they will blame the big dog owner.

So, I'm going to push back on all this unwarranted hate on the breed of pit bulls. This incident is at least if not more than 50% to 80% the fault of the SMALL DOG OWNER.

In my significant experience having owned dogs nearly all my 5 decades of life, and visited many dog parks, and lived in neighborhoods where dogs are very common, it is the SMALL DOG and the SMALL DOG owner who are almost always to blame.

Small dogs are very aggressive, they just cannot back it up. They are generally "safe" behind a fence or window. But they bark incessantly, they nip, they instigate. And they get unwarranted ALPHA treatment from POOR OWNERS who carry them, let them on furniture, let them bark constantly, etc. and other "cute" behavior that does not bode well when those puny weak little annoying demons try their attitude on big dogs that can hurt them. And note, big dogs are often hunting breeds so it's not surprising when you bring a little squirrel sized dog into the park, some big dogs might react instinctively.

I had a very patient and kind cattle dog that was driven to violence after months of torment from a stupid little yappy dog (my ex-gf, who refused to discipline her little monster, let him sit on her lap all the time, took him thru McDonalds for hamburgers, etc. and just spoiled that little monster). He finally picked it up and shook it like a rag doll to shut it up. That dog never bothered my dog again.

In this case, perhaps the bigger dog was there to socialize. Generally when you keep similar sized dogs together, any altercation might result in only scratches and can be broken up fairly easily. But when the IRRESPONSIBLE small dog owner introduces the yappy instigators and one dog snaps the small dog can easily get seriously injured.

I love dogs, but small dog owners are generally absolutely terrible and irresponsible and want to blame everyone else for their foolishness and bad ownership. I sincerely hope the OP's dog heals, but this NOT the fault of the other dog and NO ACTION should be taken against that dog or owner assuming they were in the correct big dog park.

Not true for Pit Bulls.
For 150 years Pit Bulls have been specifically and selectively bread to be fierce fighters and killers to be used in dog fighting. Only the meanest, fiercest, and strongest dogs survived and were allowed to breed, so it's in their genes. In the past few decades they have been bread to be pets, but the killer instinct is still there, just under the surface.
False. False. False.

A very sharp 8-inch blade knife would have been my choice to remove the offender. One good plunge into the heart area should do the job.
Better hope the other dog owner isn't armed and perceives your lethal weapon as a unlawful threat to him or it may be the last thing you do... VERY UNWISE advice. Here's better advice. Bring the appropriate sized well-mannered dog to the correct dog park and supervise it properly. This incident would not have occurred if a small dog (I've NEVER SEEN a well-behaved one) was not in the big dog park.

I've never seen a poorly behaved pit bull in the thousands I've seen. Almost all are sweet and playful. My neighbor has two that play rough with each other but around other dogs they are sweet, and he has a 4 year old boy that plays with both of them in the front yard, daily.

Meanwhile I don't think I have EVER seen a well-mannered toy breed dog. They are almost always little monsters, incessant barking, instigating, yapping, and sometimes nip. But they get a pass because they are cute toy dogs and can rarely do serious damage. They'll start the fights, and then get a pass.

Better hope the other dog owner isn't armed and perceives your lethal weapon as a unlawful threat to him or it may be the last thing you do... VERY UNWISE advice. Here's better advice. Bring the appropriate sized well-mannered dog to the correct dog park and supervise it properly. This incident would not have occurred if a small dog (I've NEVER SEEN a well-behaved one) was not in the big dog park.

I've never seen a poorly behaved pit bull in the thousands I've seen. Almost all are sweet and playful. My neighbor has two that play rough with each other but around other dogs they are sweet, and he has a 4 year old boy that plays with both of them in the front yard, daily.

Meanwhile I don't think I have EVER seen a well-mannered toy breed dog. They are almost always little monsters, incessant barking, instigating, yapping, and sometimes nip. But they get a pass because they are cute toy dogs and can rarely do serious damage. They'll start the fights, and then get a pass.
So in the end it was the fault of the poodle or the poodle’s owner.

Go back and read what my comment was in reference to (post #79). It was not about the dog park incident. The fire department was there trying to get a syco pit bull off of a little girl. The owner of that pit bull should have been able to get HIS dog off of her ... but apparently he couldn't. If it was my dog I would have killed it right there on the spot to save that poor little girl. The faster that dog was removed from the little girl, the better. What would you have done in that situation ... just stand there and watch a pit bull slowly kill a little girl and do nothing?

Now about the dog park ... sure, all owner's go there under their own risk. It might be wise for owner's to also be prepared to defend themselves from out of control dogs from attacking them too. Whenever I go for walks around the neighborhood, I'm prepared for a surprise dog attack and will be defending myself if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back