Miniature poodle mauled by a pit bull at dog park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in IL, all dogs must have their periodical (1-5? year) vaccines for rabies. If an attack is reported and the dogs don't have their vaccines, then the owner is fined and the pet taken away.

I'm also onboard with the owner to be blamed, although "ran out to greet a dog" is not seen as "run up and say hi" by all dogs. The next time a miniature poodle decides to "come up and say hi" by biting my ankles, I'll make sure the dog gets kicked across the street. Complacency from all parties.

I hate the clueless idiots with pit bulls. “It’s usually very nice” is what I always hear. My wife is a nurse and has some terrible stories of them attacking kids. The parents get them to look like a “bad ass” . I have no problem with people having them but they need to be aware they are dangerous.

As a dog lover all my life I have a soft spot for most all dogs. But I have to make an exception with Pit Bulls. They're simply too unpredictable. We hear stories like this all the time.

Some "nice, sweet" Pit Bull goes off the rails for no apparent reason, and kills. Another dog, a child, some old lady. There is a good reason many municipalities have banned ownership within their city limits.

And as was said, it is why insurance companies will cut you loose from your homeowners policy if they find you have one. Or ANY dog that falls into their category of, "Aggressive Breeds". Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Doberman's, etc. They don't want to deal with the risk.

And no matter how friendly your "little sweetie" is, their wiring can short circuit at any time, for any reason. Yeah, you can say the same about Poodles and a lot of the so called, "ankle biter breeds". But when is the last time you ever heard of someone being mauled to death by a 15 pound Toy Poodle?

And it always seems Pit Bulls attract a certain type of macho owner. And while not always, many are not responsible enough to own these type of dogs, as was proven in this incident. That guy had no business having that dog in that park.

This is sad. I hate to say it but it sounds like your dog is going to have a lifetime full of pain and suffering and probably should be put to sleep. It is too bad that incompetent dog owners give pit bulls a bad name because they can be good dogs. The pit that did the attacking went bad and should have been put down at that time but it's identity can't be confirmed at this time and it's probably too late to do anything at this time.. Let's hope that dog doesn't attack a kid someday.

Sorry to read this! Aside from going back to the park in hopes that someone knows the owner or witnessed the event and will testify to it you're out of luck. As far your dog suffering try getting a second opinion and if there's nothing that can be done to help the dog you should end the suffering. As difficult as that might seem, letting a dog or any animal suffer when there's no hope isn't fair to the animal.

We had a near miss last weekend on our city's walking trails with a couple of pit bulls on leashes, tried to attack another dog also on a leash (not ours). Not sure if the Bull terrier thing is a bunch of media hype or not, but I don't think I trust them since I don't know how they are raised. I don't think we'd ever take our beagles to a dog park for obvious reasons, but I suspect that would be a good place to pick up disease even though they are fully vaccinated.

Any owner of a dog that mauls another dog at an open dog part is by definition completely to blame. Or are you arguing the poodle threatened the pit bull and provoked the attack?

And you're back again I see.
I’m 5’4 no 6’3 buck ever looked to start with me. It’s non sense of any aggressor situation took place. I’ve seen plenty of people own pits along with mini dogs and the animals get together just fine. That “pit” was a gator dog used for fighting or just aggressively trained.

I don't think we'd ever take our beagles to a dog park for obvious reasons, but I suspect that would be a good place to pick up disease even though they are fully vaccinated.
I'm glad you mentioned this. The same irresponsible owners take their unvaccinated dogs and dogs who are sick to the dog parks. Dog parks are a good way for your dog to pickup a disease (or worms), maybe something fatal. FYI, vaccinated dogs can still get breakthrough parvo.

now today 4 days after the shot the dog is bouncing around and pulling hard on the leash, whereas yesterday he wanted to walk but after a while of walking would stop, walk backwards and sit down and sometimes yipe when we had to pick him up or move him.

I will give it some time as he may still recover

This is why I despise pit bulls. Every owner that I ever meet has a " oh they're really friendly just very protective" oh and the "They're just really misunderstood. " No they're pi-polar time bombs. Sorry to hear that. I'd seriously be considering filing a lawsuit.

I’m so sorry to hear about this.
My neighbor has two large pit bulls. One of them lunged at my 6.5yr old golden retriever and grabbed the scruff on his neck and fortunately got free. Right at the entrance to our building as we were coming and going at the same time out the front door. Now found my wife was walking behind him yesterday and watched him toss three poop bags on the ground because he couldn’t be bothered to throw them in the garbage that our place leaves for us. My wife threw them away.

Anyway we have a 4.5 month old golden retriever now too and we’re about to head to the dog park and now I’m paranoid. I hate being there with other people because I don’t trust other dogs

Anyway we have a 4.5 month old golden retriever now too and we’re about to head to the dog park and now I’m paranoid. I hate being there with other people because I don’t trust other dogs
Until your puppy has had it's full series of shots, and after 1 month wait for the antibodies to form, it would be a really bad idea (and irresponsible) to take it where there are a lot of unknown dogs. Parvo infections are running rampant right now. Ask your vet.

Last edited:
Until your puppy has had it's full series of shots, it would be a really bad idea (and irresponsible) to take it where there are a lot of unknown dogs. Parvo infections are running rampant right now. Ask your vet.
She’s fully vaccinated, and definitely got the Parvo one. We told the vet we’d bring her to the park on occasion. Only thing left is a booster for Lyme.
Edit to add: this would be our first time taking her and if there are other dogs I’ll probably keep her on the leash (it’s a small town too so not real busy). I take the older one on occasion. I do 3-5 miles a day walks/jogs with him so I don’t usually stop at the park

Last edited:
Weird, no sooner did the OP post that I think almost the same day a dog killed its owner. If you watch the Sheriffs remarks, in 33 years as sheriffs he has never seen anything like it. Must have really torn up its owner.

News reports left out the "breed" but as seen below search in Facebook =

NC Advocacy for Victims of Dangerous Dogs

April 22 at 3:12 PM ·

SOUTH CAROLINA
Newberry
45 year old Erin Beach was killed by her own dog this week . Article states they do not know what breed, however on her still active FB page, she has a pit (or mix) as her profile picture (below).
What a horrific way to die, but most attacks and fatalities occur at the jaws of dogs known by the victim. Choose your dog wisely, it could be a fatal choice for you or a loved one if you choose a blood sport dog.
https://www.foxcarolina.com/.../sc-woman-attacked.../...

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 11.30.09 AM.png

Last edited:
This is why I despise pit bulls. Every owner that I ever meet has a " oh they're really friendly just very protective" oh and the "They're just really misunderstood. " No they're pi-polar time bombs. Sorry to hear that. I'd seriously be considering filing a lawsuit.
You know, I was always at a loss to understand the "why" I mean, most all Pit Bulls I have ever met were the coolest, cutest loving face licking dogs I ever met... (I still would never own one) but maybe that is it, breeding history? ... I think there maybe some sense in the words "BI_Polar"
(read my post of the one killing a 45 woman above, she was its owner)

OP so sorry!

Numerous attacks in my subdivision alone by that breed. I have to bring a 12 gauge while under my truck to change oil. Had two pit bulls come into my garage. They run at large, among others. It's the wild west here. Animal Control and local police are no help.

now today 4 days after the shot the dog is bouncing around and pulling hard on the leash, whereas yesterday he wanted to walk but after a while of walking would stop, walk backwards and sit down and sometimes yipe when we had to pick him up or move him.

I will give it some time as he may still recover
So glad to hear it. I always give pit bulls and their owners a wide berth. I think of it like defensive driving -it doesn't matter if you're right, if you're dead.

When you take a breed that has historically been as mistreated and irresponsibly bred as pitbulls are then you're going to have some outliers and some that pose a danger to the public. From what I've read, the majority of the issues tend to come from unaltered males. I've had numerous positive interactions with pitbulls that I've met but it would not be fair to make a characterization that they're all nice and friendly and harmless. Even Labradors can be dangerous. They're individuals just like people are. The animal shelter I volunteer at does a good job of behavioral analysis and ensuring that we only re-home dogs when it can be done safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back