Miniature poodle mauled by a pit bull at dog park

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be but it’s hard to know, just getting an appointment with any vet is a challenge
the go to folks left/retired during the pandemic :(
It's quite a haul down to Madison from Wausau, but the UW has a vet school where they do cutting-edge stuff. It might be worth a visit for a diagnosis, at least.

No. The electric shock travels from one electrode through the attacking dog to the other electrode, not through a "ground".
That's what I assumed. But how are the 2 electrodes on a stun gun, any different than the 2 electrodes on a spark plug? The arc travels from one to another. One will zap the crap out of you, and anyone who is touching you, but the other wont.

That's what I assumed. But how are the 2 electrodes on a stun gun, any different than the 2 electrodes on a spark plug? The arc travels from one to another. One will zap the crap out of you, and anyone who is touching you, but the other wont.
On a spark plug, one electrode is a "ground". The same thing applies to the electricity in your house, one side is a "ground".
On stun guns and tasers, neither electrode is grounded.

I hate the clueless idiots with pit bulls. “It’s usually very nice” is what I always hear. My wife is a nurse and has some terrible stories of them attacking kids. The parents get them to look like a “bad ass” . I have no problem with people having them but they need to be aware they are dangerous.
I hate clueless dog owners. Plenty of little dogs don't know how to behave around other dogs because, due to their dogs small size, owners constantly gave them a pass on bad behavior. I have a neighbor who has a GSD and a little dog. She walked both at the same time but gave the little dog a much longer lead. That little dog has caused more problems because it will elicit a negative response from other dogs at which time the GSD feels it must "defend the pack".

The neighbor has finally realized that the little dog must stay at home.

Last edited:
No animal is born mean. Humans make them mean for their own sick purpose.
Animals, like people, have personalities and psychological traits. Just like no two people are the same, no two dogs are the same, and some dogs are predisposed to having certain personality traits/characteristics.

And yes, some dogs, just like some people, are mean or mentally broken. The problem is that with dogs, due to breeding practices, we have honed/refined some of those traits. Boxers box, not because we make them box, that's something that's bred into them; something that they "do". Newfies have a very strong rescue instinct, again, something we've bred into them/enhanced.

It seems with certain pit bull terrier examples that the fighting instinct that was bred into them, even when they are not raised in an environment where that is utilized, can randomly come out; the dog "snaps" and goes into fight/kill mode. It could be something as simple as a toddler touching its sensitive bits or pulling on its face and the dog has zero history of violence. It has happened enough times that these dogs have a reputation now, and that's not because people hate them, its because there's a trend of this occurring and it is something to be aware of. We had a huge Newfie for many years (he passed away a few months ago). When my kids were little they'd be climbing and bouncing all over him, hanging off his face, we never gave it a 2nd thought, because Newfs don't have that reputation and his personality/temperament reinforced that.

I’m not a fan of dog parks for this very reason. If you ran up to everyone in the grocery store to give them a hug, it’s only a matter of time before you’d get punch.
This is a good point. Our newfie was on our front lawn when he was a little over 1. A little ankle biter from down the street was being walked, and it came up our lawn and when Belv went to sniff it, it bit him right on the face, totally unprovoked. He didn't know what to do! He'd never been bitten before, he didn't try and kill the little dog or anything, but he recoiled and was extremely upset by the interaction. However, after that, he absolutely hated that dog, and little dogs in general and he would vocalize that if one got near him, and that was a lifelong trait. If you introduced him to a little dog, he was always extremely leery about it until he really got to know it because of that single interaction.

Our neighbours at the cottage had a golden retriever that was a complete a-hole that they let freely roam. It came over and also bit the Newfie (who was on a chain). Again, he had no idea what the hell had just happened, he was at "his place" and this little bugger just shows up and chomps on his face. That dog was psychotic and should have been put down years earlier, I watched it bite the owners several times when they were trying to control it, it would go full feral. That's exactly what it did when they tried to bring it home as it stayed just out of range of my dog's chain after biting his face, it bit the owners hand very hard and drew significant blood. I wanted to shoot it, but figured that would cause more problems than it solved. It died last year anyways, but that's an example of a dog that's just broken with absolutely no reason to be, it wasn't abused or raised badly, it was just nuts.

I'll just say this. Most times what the news and people refer to as a "Pit Bull" is actually a mutt that may have some pit bull in it. The problem with any mixed breed dogs is that you end up with traits from both breeds and often not a desirable combination. An ADBA registered american pit bull terrier is going to be a powerful dog, which is normally fearless so they don't get panicked easily. Now combine that power with some breed that is easily spooked and you get an anxious powerful dog, which leads to issues.

I hate clueless dog owners. Plenty of little dogs don't know how to behave around other dogs because, due to their dogs small size, owners constantly gave them a pass on bad behavior. I have a neighbor who has a GSD and a little dog. She walked both at the same time but gave the little dog a much longer lead. That little dog has caused more problems because it will elicit a negative response from other dogs at which time the GSD feels it must "defend the pack".

The neighbor has finally realized that the little dog must stay at home.
Totally different issue. An annoying little dog is not a danger to the public. You can stay away and the problem is solved. You can’t stay away from a unstable pit bull. They come after you

I'll just say this. Most times what the news and people refer to as a "Pit Bull" is actually a mutt that may have some pit bull in it. The problem with any mixed breed dogs is that you end up with traits from both breeds and often not a desirable combination. An ADBA registered american pit bull terrier is going to be a powerful dog, which is normally fearless so they don't get panicked easily. Now combine that power with some breed that is easily spooked and you get an anxious powerful dog, which leads to issues.
Yep, that's a good point. Temperament and personality that we've honed in each of these breeds can yield some very undesirable results when mixed. Our boxer is a very anxious and over-sensitive dog. If you yell at him, he cowers like you've just beat him and then he scoots off to his crate to give himself a "time out". He scares the crap out of himself regularly when he knocks something off a table or bumps into something and something falls, and he immediately bolts and hides in his crate. A dog that nervous and easily spooked mixed with one where the result would be fight, not flight, would not be good.

Animals, like people, have personalities and psychological traits. Just like no two people are the same, no two dogs are the same, and some dogs are predisposed to having certain personality traits/characteristics.

And yes, some dogs, just like some people, are mean or mentally broken. The problem is that with dogs, due to breeding practices, we have honed/refined some of those traits. Boxers box, not because we make them box, that's something that's bred into them; something that they "do". Newfies have a very strong rescue instinct, again, something we've bred into them/enhanced.

It seems with certain pit bull terrier examples that the fighting instinct that was bred into them, even when they are not raised in an environment where that is utilized, can randomly come out; the dog "snaps" and goes into fight/kill mode. It could be something as simple as a toddler touching its sensitive bits or pulling on its face and the dog has zero history of violence. It has happened enough times that these dogs have a reputation now, and that's not because people hate them, its because there's a trend of this occurring and it is something to be aware of. We had a huge Newfie for many years (he passed away a few months ago). When my kids were little they'd be climbing and bouncing all over him, hanging off his face, we never gave it a 2nd thought, because Newfs don't have that reputation and his personality/temperament reinforced that.

This is a good point. Our newfie was on our front lawn when he was a little over 1. A little ankle biter from down the street was being walked, and it came up our lawn and when Belv went to sniff it, it bit him right on the face, totally unprovoked. He didn't know what to do! He'd never been bitten before, he didn't try and kill the little dog or anything, but he recoiled and was extremely upset by the interaction. However, after that, he absolutely hated that dog, and little dogs in general and he would vocalize that if one got near him, and that was a lifelong trait. If you introduced him to a little dog, he was always extremely leery about it until he really got to know it because of that single interaction.

Our neighbours at the cottage had a golden retriever that was a complete a-hole that they let freely roam. It came over and also bit the Newfie (who was on a chain). Again, he had no idea what the hell had just happened, he was at "his place" and this little bugger just shows up and chomps on his face. That dog was psychotic and should have been put down years earlier, I watched it bite the owners several times when they were trying to control it, it would go full feral. That's exactly what it did when they tried to bring it home as it stayed just out of range of my dog's chain after biting his face, it bit the owners hand very hard and drew significant blood. I wanted to shoot it, but figured that would cause more problems than it solved. It died last year anyways, but that's an example of a dog that's just broken with absolutely no reason to be, it wasn't abused or raised badly, it was just nuts.
Pits/ Staffordshire terriers are also known as “nanny dogs”.. they aren’t bred for their aggression. They’re just tough and do serious damage without letting go.

I’m guessing the dog thought OP’s mother’s dog was rushing it and it reacted.

My 18 lb Boston Terrier with her flat face and strong jaw could squeeze a tennis ball flat in her mouth. In contrast, the Pit bull is 3 times that size. My 7lb Yorkie shakes her toys like she’s trying to “kill” them while we play. In contrast, the Pit bull is 4 times that size. “Playing” or not their jaws crush and maim. It’s sad how they’ve been bred to fight. Facts are facts. Pit bulls shouldn’t be allowed off leash-ever.

I have a Boston from the shelter, older guy when I got him. I can’t even go to off leash places. He is a very sweet little dog and doesn’t respond to other dogs aggression. Doesn’t bark at all, does nothing. In the first three weeks I had him, there were three times a big dog attacked him and grabbed him by the neck. Bostons are tough like mini pit bulls so he was physically unfazed. All three owners defended how their dogs are not this way. The worst was the huge dog off leash who rushed on him and the lady said I didn’t “run away fast enough. “ Mine is always on the leash. She got an earful from me but those kind don’t care. They dig in more. So now we have to be ultra careful, I don’t care what anyone thinks with dogs we meet.

I feel sorry for your mom, it is hard to just "ask the owner for info so she can sue him" when the dog may attack her at the moment. Having said that, at least in my city the dog park are separated into "small" 10# or less dog and "big" 10# and above dog so this kind of incidents can be "reduced".

Other than filing a police report there is not much you can do. The owner may never go to that dog park again or he may put his dog down to avoid liability. One of my former coworker has a sheep dog that likes to bite human, every visitor to his house got bitten on the leg and he has bitten another stranger on the beach once. They had to smuggle the dog out of the beach and be given away to another old couple far away for free to prevent future liability (I know, they ran away and it wasn't cool).

I also am not a believer of "this breed is cool if you raise him well". Many owners got injured by their dogs because they have no idea how to handle them, most owners are not professionals trained to deal with dog psychology.

The nip at the back of the leg could be herding instinct. We had an Australian shepherd than bit a couple people like that. She was "heeling" them, which goes to show that, yes, behavior can be inbred genetically. We had a collie years ago that would go for my heels while playing -- same thing.

We ALWAYS pick up and carry our Yorkie when other dogs are around. One “playful” bite from another dog would kill her. Dog parks are for big dogs. Don’t let other dogs get to your Boston. He doesn’t need to be picked on. Owners always will say “my dog is friendly”. Yes, he wags his tail while he mauls little dogs…

Probably the worst fire department response I had was a pit bull that latched onto the throat of a 4 yo girl. My crew and I beat that dog with all we had and it took a big CO2 extinguisher to freeze its face to get it to let go. Efforts to revive the girl were not successful.
A very sharp 8-inch blade knife would have been my choice to remove the offender. One good plunge into the heart area should do the job.

Probably the worst fire department response I had was a pit bull that latched onto the throat of a 4 yo girl. My crew and I beat that dog with all we had and it took a big CO2 extinguisher to freeze its face to get it to let go. Efforts to revive the girl were not successful.
What did the law do with the owner in this case?

We ALWAYS pick up and carry our Yorkie when other dogs are around. One “playful” bite from another dog would kill her. Dog parks are for big dogs. Don’t let other dogs get to your Boston. He doesn’t need to be picked on. Owners always will say “my dog is friendly”. Yes, he wags his tail while he mauls little dogs…
If that’s to me, I am very careful and always have been very protective. I think I am more ready now, it happens in an instant. Something about my dog, maybe his humble demeanor, triggers some dogs to see him as prey. He does not bark at or do anything at all to other dogs. His body is fit, he is amazing actually, but has a heart murmur, teeth problems, bad hearing, cataracts starting, and other old age issues.
I hope OP can get the dog back to normal, didn read all the posts. Give him a chance, they can heal from a lot.

Not true for Pit Bulls.
For 150 years Pit Bulls have been specifically and selectively bread to be fierce fighters and killers to be used in dog fighting. Only the meanest, fiercest, and strongest dogs survived and were allowed to breed, so it's in their genes. In the past few decades they have been bread to be pets, but the killer instinct is still there, just under the surface.
just the opposite.These were merica's family dog (C my earlier). "Spot" in "Spanky'n Our Gang", early pic (1880s), Presidents, etc.
Yes, drugies have not helped in last 40 yrs but it's not in 'the genes'. Follow up w/ACC, vets, etc for facts.

What did the law do with the owner in this case?
The owner was a friend of the kids mom. I think there was charges later and the dog was put down.
I've encountered a couple other pit bulls while searching house fires. Thick smoke and a couple hundred degrees at floor level kinda takes the fight out of them.
Very scary though when I touched them as their size is close to a kid and similar dead weight. In total darkness and with thick gloves on sense of touch is about 10% of normal and your heart jumps with oh crap is this a human?

Here is an initial report. I never followed up much on victims, rather put it behind me.

I have no idea where they got this date on the fox article. I knew it wasn't 2015 as I retired in 2016. Here is better info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back