Miniature poodle mauled by a pit bull at dog park

Status
Not open for further replies.
all the stuff abt the breed is a "crocka xxx". This used to be THE merican family dog. What do U think the "Spanky'n Our Gang" dog is?
It's the owners, not any specific breed. Michael Vic was punished for his behavior. We should persue ppl like him (but more common, lower profile) like this incident. What's wrong widda park they have not persued? YOU should if they do not. Don't lay back. U need this action (who cares the result, its U acting that counts in your recovery, ur moms - from this tramua). HTH, Go For It, best to U 3

Dogs bite out of fear. I don't think there should B any fear in these encounters. The owners have NOT raised them right. Need to socalize just like a horse or a child (yes, yer own offspring). Some ppl are not meant to have a dog. THEY need trained as well first. No concept of what they're getting into. Likea car U need a license. All dogs have teeth = can cut U. Get ur training 1st if no proof of no aggrivating events, -0- incident during long term ownership. Gun? same, prove U know how to store, carry, etc. THEN you get 1.

Society deserves these policies. Dogs do too. There is some evidence they socalized us. Yes, after co-evolving together (they helped us eat as hunters) they later allowed us to begin agriculture (thru plenty proteen/upping hunting success). Soon they domesticted the animals we use (hearding in the 'pre-sheep, pre-goats, cattle, etc). We own them much. Having a social structure much like our own you should be a fast learner from 'dog' trainers as they should form you into a good partner to B with these amazing beasts. Control them lovingly or they will controll U (just like anyother problems U have).

Last edited:
U must have control of ur dog to B allowed ina park.
Actually, no. Anyone can take their dog to a regular park on a leash and keep it under control. That's not what a "dog park" is about though. That place is for people who think dogs ought to run free among strangers. At best the dogs use their base instincts to form into a pack and forego any human rules for a while. At worst they kill each other.

RMay needs to show up where that douche is with this in tow:
Presa 1.jpg
presa 2.jpg

This happened here yesterday too.

There people, and there are dogs, both need training. I have a friend who works at the local pound, she came to work a couple of weeks ago to find the place broken into - owners came to steal their 5 fighting dogs that had been impounded. She says they also have 20 huskies at the pound...I don't know what the story is, but probably one of those horrible breeding places.

I feel sorry for your mom, it is hard to just "ask the owner for info so she can sue him" when the dog may attack her at the moment. Having said that, at least in my city the dog park are separated into "small" 10# or less dog and "big" 10# and above dog so this kind of incidents can be "reduced".

Other than filing a police report there is not much you can do. The owner may never go to that dog park again or he may put his dog down to avoid liability. One of my former coworker has a sheep dog that likes to bite human, every visitor to his house got bitten on the leg and he has bitten another stranger on the beach once. They had to smuggle the dog out of the beach and be given away to another old couple far away for free to prevent future liability (I know, they ran away and it wasn't cool).

I also am not a believer of "this breed is cool if you raise him well". Many owners got injured by their dogs because they have no idea how to handle them, most owners are not professionals trained to deal with dog psychology.

Actually, no. Anyone can take their dog to a regular park on a leash and keep it under control. That's not what a "dog park" is about though. That place is for people who think dogs ought to run free among strangers. At best the dogs use their base instincts to form into a pack and forego any human rules for a while. At worst they kill each other.
Quite a spectrum of possible out comes. Sounds funner than a barrel of monkeys. Half the dog owner's I see, the dog seems to be more in control of the human, instead of the other way around.

“He ran up to great a dog” as in your dog ran up to the pit? I’m sorry for your lose, but you can’t be letting your dog run free and running up to a strange dog.

I’m not a fan of dog parks for this very reason. If you ran up to everyone in the grocery store to give them a hug, it’s only a matter of time before you’d get punch.

I’ve been on the other side of this walking my GSD at the lake when 3 unleashed dogs came after us. He thought he had to get between me and them and I had to try to kick them back. He has issues with bigger dogs now because of this even thought they could have been the nicest dogs ever. Thankfully nobody got bit.

Last edited:
post #45 dog - banned in much of merica
"...both need training...", "...a leash to control...", "...dog running up toa strange dog..." all seem a lill different when taken out of context. One can see the reality in them.
Left out of above partial list may B the "release" (from liaibility) one must sign B4 opening the gate to allow one's dog inside a DP (or entering urself). Whenever asked to sign on the dotted line I back up.
Just like a 'deal'- it takes 2 to complete, a school yard fight - two lill boys, a marriage (but a divorce - just 1).

"A passing police officer tried to stop the attack using pepper spray."

A 12 Ga. with 00 Buck would have been more effective.
Pepper spray is not very effective for stopping dog attacks. Not only will it not stop a Pit Bull that is in attack mode, you run the risk of getting more of it on your own dog and yourself than the attacking dog, especially outside in the wind.
What is effective is one of these...
Mega S-120 Stun Baton. The top choice of power companies, animal control agencies, and law enforcement for protection against dog or other animal attacks.
1650887429133.png

Several years ago I purchased one of these for protection while I walked and while I was walking my dog. Where I live we have a problem with loose dogs, even though we have a strict leash law. Some of these dogs can attack without notice, it happened to one of my neighbors at the end of the block in their own yard. A Stun Baton is the best defense for this kind of attack (even a human attack), but the cheap ones are junk and give a false sense of security. This is the one that gets the job done, but it is not cheap, about $120. This stun baton is 19" long, and length is VERY important. You don't want to get any part of your body anywhere near an attacking dog.
Most of the time, the very loud snapping noise that it makes will scare-off an attacker, but if you have to use it on him it will render him harmless to you, it will easily stop a 150 lb attacking dog INSTANTLY without being harmful or lethal. I have only had to use it on a dog once, a 100 lb Rottweiler, and it laid him flat down. When he was finally able to get up he was pretty wobbly and disoriented for quite some time but eventually hobbled off. Every time he saw me after that he went the other way.

Last edited:
What happens if the dog is locked on to another person, dog, child, etc? Will the shock transfer to the victim? Much like in science class when everyone held hands, and the whole class got zapped by the spark plug.

I heard stun guns don't do this. But I have no idea as to how. How is their electricity, "different"?

we went out w/the "stick w/a hoop on the end". Knowing how to use (dogs can weigh quite a bit) is important. Very effective in these things. Like a car impoundment ona dealer, U have the evidence w/o a 'run away'.
I wrked ina state they euthanized dogs after the 3rd bite. More shepards got the 'stick w/noose', then a lill gas, the final needle than
pits OR any other breed. This was B4 Iran/Contra and the huge influx of cocaine (read: dealer use of dobbie, rottie and pits). May have changed since then but it's still how they're worked with - 'domesticated'/not, their nature shapped~

No animal is born mean. Humans make them mean for their own sick purpose.
Not true for Pit Bulls.
For 150 years Pit Bulls have been specifically and selectively bread to be fierce fighters and killers to be used in dog fighting. Only the meanest, fiercest, and strongest dogs survived and were allowed to breed, so it's in their genes. In the past few decades they have been bread to be pets, but the killer instinct is still there, just under the surface.

What happens if the dog is locked on to another person, dog, child, etc? Will the shock transfer to the victim? Much like in science class when everyone held hands, and the whole class got zapped by the spark plug.

I heard stun guns don't do this. But I have no idea as to how. How is their electricity, "different"?
No. The electric shock travels from one electrode through the attacking dog to the other electrode, not through a "ground".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back