Min oil temp for WOT/redline driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been very careful with oil temps by not going above approx 3000rpm or more than ~50% throttle before my engine oil reaches full operating temp (~200F). My goal is to have every engine last as long as possible and waiting until it is fully up to temp before thrashing on it seems like an easy (and free!) way to help reach that goal.

My new car takes forever to reach 200F oil temp so it got me thinking...maybe I am being overly paranoid and there would be zero harm in going Wide Open Throttle and to redline (7000rpm) by the time the oil reaches ~160F?

Thoughts?

In reality once the oil has reached the critical temp where the additives are activated and performing as designed,and the metals in the engine have reached that certain temp where expansion is minimal even with more heat then I think once you've achieved those 2 variables then I think you should be able to floor it.
What car and engine. Is there an oil cooler and is it thermostatically activated. What oil are you using.
A variable that hasn't been mentioned is the oils viscosity index. If the VI is high that means the oil thins less once up to operating temp,so that translates to being able to go full throttle sooner,because the oils viscosity starts out closer to the oils optimal thinness(is that even a word?)
So more info is required so we can take in to consideration all the variables.

^^^Exactly. Insufficient information for optimization.

If you want to split hairs you need all the data.

These days with modern oils I cannot imagine that you must wait much at all.

FWIW My bike uses an oil temp gauge with a greed marked area of 80-110c or 176-230f
In the summer months it didn't take long to get to 80c, 4-5 Km.

It's not really going to redline/WOT that's the issue, it's the engine load. You can have high engine load but low RPMs. I would just keep the engine load light until the oil is around at least 160 C.

FWIW, my M3 doesn't allow redline until the oil is around 170 C. The tachometer actually changes as the oil warms up.

Min oil temp for WOT for me is around 5 degrees C. That means that unless it's not nearly freezing, WOTs available.

I only limit my RPMs until the oil is reasonably close to NOT just out of respect for the oil pump/system. Not concerned with boundary lube activation point or anything like that, because even a 0w20 at cold temps is much thicker than a 50grade @ NOT., so not much hydrodynamic film shearing is expected, and is not even a concern for me. Not to mention, including high cold loads gets you out of the 'cold zone much faster than puttering.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Min oil temp for WOT for me is around 5 degrees C. That means that unless it's not nearly freezing, WOTs available.

I only limit my RPMs until the oil is reasonably close to NOT just out of respect for the oil pump/system. Not concerned with boundary lube activation point or anything like that, because even a 0w20 at cold temps is much thicker than a 50grade @ NOT., so not much hydrodynamic film shearing is expected, and is not even a concern for me. Not to mention, including high cold loads gets you out of the 'cold zone much faster than puttering.

In my mind, Oil tem is more an indication of engine temp. I'm really not so concerned that the Add pack in the oil is not fully (Heat) activated, or the oil is at it's 'Hot' rated viscosity. I'm more concerned that the engine internals are close to their optimal shape and dimensions before fully loading the engine.
My personal WOT min temp for my Spitfire is 170-175F

Originally Posted By: expat
In my mind, Oil tem is more an indication of engine temp. I'm really not so concerned that the Add pack in the oil is not fully (Heat) activated, or the oil is at it's 'Hot' rated viscosity. I'm more concerned that the engine internals are close to their optimal shape and dimensions before fully loading the engine.

+1

Originally Posted By: dparm
FWIW, my M3 doesn't allow redline until the oil is around 170 C.

170 Celsius?
crazy2.gif
Thats 338f.

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: jrustles

My personal WOT min temp for my Spitfire is 170-175F

increased clearances? perfect for that high viscosity cold oil
wink.gif

but seriously we're talking about, on your purest aluminum piston, three one-thousandths of an inch. that clearance disappears within seconds of starting. none of the cars i operate piston slap in the cold; high silicon piston alloys me thinks. but when it comes down to it, all of this hypthetical really only applies to the rare instance when one would urgently need wot during warm up, it's available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back