Milkshake Oil - Ram Ecodiesel

Sounds good.

In the future when it's time for a new one, the Gen 3 engine found in 2020+ Rams is even better. 80% revised design, with large increases in power also, and a dual EGR system to prevent as much sooting of the internals. Might give it a shot!
Hi.
Have the crank bearing issues been sorted on the Gen 3?

Sounds good.

In the future when it's time for a new one, the Gen 3 engine found in 2020+ Rams is even better. 80% revised design, with large increases in power also, and a dual EGR system to prevent as much sooting of the internals. Might give it a shot!
its not anywhere near 80% new....but I sure hope its better as gen 2 is junk.....I work on them daily

Sounds good.

With the sale of the house last week, I am now 100% debt free (no Mortgage, no auto payments, no credit card.... nada!). My 2014 EcoDiesel is running great with 130k miles and I intend to take her to at least 250k miles over the next 7 years or so. I'm really not interested is dropping $50k for a Gen 3.

And heck, who knows what the options will be in 7-10 years. New Diesels may be out of production, never to be built or sold again, if AOC get's her Green New Deal in place. In 10 years, our only option for new vehicles may be EV.

New Diesels may be out of production, never to be built or sold again, if AOC get's her Green New Deal in place. In 10 years, our only option for new vehicles may be EV.
According to industry experts it is going to take a lot more than 10 years for all new vehicles to be electric. I think they'll be proven right. Either way if your vehicle is not giving you any problems, I'd pass on the latest and greatest too.

With the sale of the house last week, I am now 100% debt free (no Mortgage, no auto payments, no credit card.... nada!). My 2014 EcoDiesel is running great with 130k miles and I intend to take her to at least 250k miles over the next 7 years or so. I'm really not interested is dropping $50k for a Gen 3.

And heck, who knows what the options will be in 7-10 years. New Diesels may be out of production, never to be built or sold again, if AOC get's her Green New Deal in place. In 10 years, our only option for new vehicles may be EV.
Good luck....not being a smartass, but these are not known to be a high mileage engine. Keep us posted.

Good luck....not being a smartass, but these are not known to be a high mileage engine. Keep us posted.
Thankfully I have 5 years and 60k miles on a.... full powertrain/emissions warranty... because of the BS lawsuit for emissions.... but good for me.

Longer term report... the truck is running awesome. Just did an oil change and opted to pour in Rotella T6 15w40. Guess my thinking is... with the tune and additional stress from me driving the truck like I stole it.... 15w40 is a better choice. I have a Blackstone bottle, ready for sample, when this oil hits 10k miles.

UOA would be my go to off the bat. One other thing could be the work light you’re using. Sounds bizzare but I got a super white dewalt work light (runs off the batteries my impact uses) and it made my oil look chocolate milk brown while draining. Figured it was the light since it happened with both our cars (that would be unlucky) but had UOAs done and did the subsequent changes with my old school warmer light. The labs showed no coolant contamination and plenty of life in the oil, and the oil looked normal on subsequent drains with a warmer color light.

its not anywhere near 80% new....but I sure hope its better as gen 2 is junk.....I work on them daily
The bottom end is new, even down to the pistons and rings. The top end is new. The turbo, EGR system, emissions, all of it is new. FCA claimed in all of their press materials that it's an 80% new engine, and I don't have any reason to doubt that.

Even the engine pressures are different, which is why they are telling us that Rotella is no longer an acceptable oil, and the filter has been totally redesigned.

So far I've seen the typical Bosch CP4 injection pump failures, and a handful of blown engines as in 2 maybe 3. Oil leaks from the timing cover are very common. Otherwise the Gen 3 engine seems to be doing great and there are guys with 80,000 miles on them over on one of the Ram forums.

The bottom end is new, even down to the pistons and rings. The top end is new. The turbo, EGR system, emissions, all of it is new. FCA claimed in all of their press materials that it's an 80% new engine, and I don't have any reason to doubt that.

Even the engine pressures are different, which is why they are telling us that Rotella is no longer an acceptable oil, and the filter has been totally redesigned.

So far I've seen the typical Bosch CP4 injection pump failures, and a handful of blown engines as in 2 maybe 3. Oil leaks from the timing cover are very common. Otherwise the Gen 3 engine seems to be doing great and there are guys with 80,000 miles on them over on one of the Ram forums.
U believe what u like I know better. 😁Chrysler also said these were great when they came out in 2014 ....and we know how that worked out😆

What part of what I typed was wrong? Please enlighten me. Because not one part of it was wrong.
That all that stuff is "new"....its not ....may be a part number change but it's certainly not "new"...very slight tweaks. The only big design change is the addition of the lp egr. Still same hp egr. I have extensive factory training from Chrysler. If u wanna believe a press release that its some 80% new design then so be it.....personally I hope they are better as I'm sick of doing engines in the older one as they cut warranty times way back.We have done more of them than all other engines COMBINED.

Was curious myself on filter so compared today....left is 2016 with new filter popped in it. Right is the new gen3 filter....Looks like the only "improved redesign" is its now double the price.:cautious: $44Canadian list vs $93. I'll pop a used gen 3 apart on next one I do....Im curious to see how its held in. I didnt want to break new one.

Attachments

• 20210812_132507.jpg
    20210812_132507.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210812_132514.jpg
    20210812_132514.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 19
Was curious myself on filter so compared today....left is 2016 with new filter popped in it. Right is the new gen3 filter....Looks like the only "improved redesign" is its now double the price.:cautious: $44Canadian list vs $93. I'll pop a used gen 3 apart on next one I do....Im curious to see how its held in. I didnt want to break new one.
Am I missing something? There are less threads on the cartridge housing, otherwise it looks the same.

That all that stuff is "new"....its not ....may be a part number change but it's certainly not "new"...very slight tweaks. The only big design change is the addition of the lp egr. Still same hp egr. I have extensive factory training from Chrysler. If u wanna believe a press release that its some 80% new design then so be it.....personally I hope they are better as I'm sick of doing engines in the older one as they cut warranty times way back.We have done more of them than all other engines COMBINED.

"Tweaks" equals new. They literally changed the parts. Why are other techs with "extensive training from Chrysler" saying exactly the opposite about this engine, and showing evidence? Everything FCA told us during the product launch has been seen in photos and explanations from technicians who post on the facebook owners groups. Hell, the Gen 3 engine even had changes made to stiffen up the block because Gen 2 had some bearing issues after they started using them in trucks.

Thats my point......offrd had mentioned the filter was redesigned(not his fault....going by what was told). Not much of a change.....other than double price

This is also incorrect. The Gen 3 filter has a redesigned relief valve inside. Dealers were sent a TSB that stated in bold writing DO NOT USE A GEN 2 FILTER ON A GEN 3 ENGINE. But if you are a technician with "extensive training from Chrysler" then I'm sure you've already seen this, right? :)

The reason the Gen 3 filter is no longer removable from the cap is because technicians who have no idea what they're doing were putting Gen 2 filters on instead. So FCA decided to change the Gen 3 filter and make the element non-removable in hopes that it would stand out and get attention.

P.S. this isn't going off "what I was told", this was discovered through my own research doing service on these engines and buying maintenance parts for them.

Last edited:
Back