mileage decrease going to 0w30 (GC) over 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm thinking of doing the switch to GC over the regular 5w30. (I posted a while ago about going to a 0w30 in a 5w30 spec engine)

Will I notice a decrease in fuel economy going to what is supposedly a thicker oil at running temp? I'm still iffy about swaying from hondas recommended weight. I'm wondering if there is a reason they call for slightly more viscosity on startup as well, but mainly thinking of the economy/performance.

Also, will the thicker oil, acutally behave like a 0w at cold startup? I know a million questions, you'll all make my christmas list this year!

Thanks,

Ryan

Last edited:
What year is your Honda ?

I used GC 0w30 in a Civic and it no doubt hurt gas mileage, and that was down here in very warm weather and the car got 100 miles per day on the highway.

hmmm, good to know. its actually a '99 integra. It does sound like really thick stuff. Too thick me thinks?

I still like the 5w30 syntec, maybe I'll just stick with that. LOL, it seems to be the brand to bash these days, but the car runs more happily with it than with another brand in a silver bottle.

Last edited:
Each engine is different and "reacts" differently to different oils. Find the one that suits yr engine and stick with it. If your engine is happy with Syntec 5W-30, so be it.

But, you won't know if it'll be "happier" with GC unless you try it, now, won't you?

I use GC 0W-30 in my '99 BMW 740iL and my '99 Ford Explorer (4 litre SOHC engine). I expect you may notice a slight mileage decrease with GC vs Syntec 5W-30 simply because the GC is thicker at operating temperatures. In my humble opinion I would accept that possible tradeoff because I believe GC is a superior oil.

When I switched to GC in my BMW I didn't notice a big difference--the 4.4 litre V8 in the car has always been very smooth and refined. I don't think the mileage in the BMW was adversely affected...not enough to worry about anyway. Last year I dropped the oil pan under the oil pump and everything was absolutely clean...spotless. Same thing when I look into the engine through the oil add opening...everything looks pristine with no sign of sludge of discolouration. The car uses zero oil between 12,000 km changes.

When I switched my Explorer to GC (from 5W-30 dino) I noticed a big difference--engine was much quieter. The SOHC engine has noisy rattling cam chains and the rattle is much less with the GC. Even my wife noticed...and her answer to every odd noise is to turn up the radio. Cold weather starts with both vehicles have never been an issue even at -20 C. (BMW is still on the original 8 year old battery...).

I don't check the gas mileage on either vehicle..."it is what it is". A 4 x 4 that is used by my wife for short trips (and towing my boat in the summer) isn't going to get great mileage no matter what.

I would say try the GC...if you notice a mileage decrease and it's enough to worry about you can always switch back.

Its best to try it for 10K miles to see how your engine likes it.

The remaining few quarts of GC that I had were mixed with 0w20 Mobil 1 just to thin it out some.

You don't need 0W30 for your B18, I've actually used a 20-weight before and my Integra really liked it. Wear came back very low as well. That was with Havoline DS 5W30, which runs in the thick 5W20 category. Unless you're starting your car in 0 degree temps, the 0W30 won't be thinner at startup.

Thanks guys, I may just stick with the 5w30 syntec. I've just heard that 0w30 is better. I'm not worried about the 5w30 syntec, not meeting the BMW standard for long OCA etc.. It meets every spec my car calls for. I've actually heard the 0w30 is THICKER at startup than the 5w30!. Overall, I find syntec feels smoother in my engine than mobil when its cold out, and in general. Not bashing mobil either, just an observation.

Last edited:
GC might be 'thicker' that most 5W-30 oils, but at 212°, not at 0°.
Check pour points.
GC is on the thick side of 30 at operating temperatures.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thanks guys, I may just stick with the 5w30 syntec. I've just heard that 0w30 is better. I'm not worried about the 5w30 syntec, not meeting the BMW standard for long OCA etc.. It meets every spec my car calls for. I've actually heard the 0w30 is THICKER at startup than the 5w30!. Overall, I find syntec feels smoother in my engine than mobil when its cold out, and in general. Not bashing mobil either, just an observation.

I know other Integra owners who have had high iron readings on their UOA's using Mobil 1, so I wouldn't use it in my car. But in some other cars, it shows good results. If you're happy with Syntec, stick to it :) Your Integra will last a long time.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: ryan2022

Thanks man, I remember you mentioned that a while ago and I beleive it. A lot of the honda guys swear by it, but they also run it in different climates than I do. I find at starup in warmer months it was fine ans smooth, but valvetrain noise until completely warm + the occasional high iron reading on UOA, made me hesitate. I find the castrol generally smoother on startup and in general.

I know other Integra owners who have had high iron readings on their UOA's using Mobil 1, so I wouldn't use it in my car. But in some other cars, it shows good results. If you're happy with Syntec, stick to it :) Your Integra will last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back