Mildew smell

Daughter, bless her heart, left the civics sunroof open the other night and it rained. When I found it I pulled it in the garage and put a good shop vacuum all over the seats and carpet and then put two good fans on it with open doors for two days.
It doesn't smell at all until I get it on the highway at speed. Around town no smell whether ac on or off, windows open or closed. But has a pretty good mildew smell at speed. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Are you sure they smell is new? Did your daughter confirm the new smell?

Did you check cabin filter? You don't mention the year of the car. Maybe there is moisture somewhere that you missed.

+1 check the filter and any signs of sitting water. The kids truck the AC condensate tube somehow clogged and was putting a little water onto passenger side floor regularly. Of course he ignored it and now it reaks. If it gets in the carpet its tough to get rid of. Ive heard ppl getting ozone generators and close it inside to destroy the organics/odors.

Are you sure they smell is new? Did your daughter confirm the new smell?

Did you check cabin filter? You don't mention the year of the car. Maybe there is moisture somewhere that you missed.
Yes the smell is definitely new. Its a 2016 civic coupe. I'll check the cabin filter, didn't think of it as it was recently changed and the sunroof on this car is small. It got the inside half of each seat wet and ofcourse the center console. Like I said its weird as the smell only appears at higher speeds. City driving there is no smell at all.

Yes the smell is definitely new. Its a 2016 civic coupe. I'll check the cabin filter, didn't think of it as it was recently changed and the sunroof on this car is small. It got the inside half of each seat wet and ofcourse the center console. Like I said its weird as the smell only appears at higher speeds. City driving there is no smell at all.

It sounds like once things are warmed up underneath you get the smell. Maybe some insulation that you cannot get to easily?

Did any water get into the vents or defrost?

It sounds like once things are warmed up underneath you get the smell. Maybe some insulation that you cannot get to easily?

Did any water get into the vents or defrost?
I agree. Has to be some condition that only gets encountered when the right airflow or the right heat level is put off.

Might be worth a little time with a UV machine on.

I agree. Has to be some condition that only gets encountered when the right airflow or the right heat level is put off.

Might be worth a little time with a UV machine on.
Yeah after thinking about it I'd say it is probably an airflow thing. Once I come off the interstate after a few blocks in town the smell disappears again. Looks like it's time to pull a front seat and get the carpet up and see whats going on with the padding underneath.

Back