Mid-size pickup decision - Ford Ranger v. Toyota Tacoma??

I have owned the Tacoma of some form since 1884… I currently still have a 2015 Tacoma … my son in law came from the F150 to a 2016 Tacoma and still has it…. I’m more than familiar with the good and bad… I also still own a 2005 4Runner.

At Christmas of 2019, I lost my daily driver which commutes 60+ miles per day that I had 250k on the odometer - a 2004 2wd manual 4 cylinder Tacoma. Lost it due to being in an accident where I was T boned.. I ended up replacing it with a, at the time new, 2019 Frontier King Cab Std Bed 6 cylinder Auto on New Year’s Eve of ‘19. I did this as this model was the last of the “non exciting” Frontier product line and, as a result, should have all the issues worked out including that time proven power train. So far, I couldn’t be happier with my decision as have 36k on it and have had no issues - all seems well.

If I were you, based upon my experience, I might try to find a ‘18 or ‘19 Frontier like something coming off lease as it should have all the positives I was looking for (proven and dependable) yet the price tag may not be as high as either the new Ranger or Tacoma
Yep.... fat fingered that one, 1994 ; Technically, not a Tacoma either - it was called a Pickup at the time and actually owned the 1989 rendition too (4X4, 4 cyl Standard Cab w/ Manual Transmission and Manual Locking Hubs) !! Had to go out before the storms and lock the hubs in !! God, I miss those times!

Love my Honda Ridgeline! Comfortable, durable (300k is a piece of cake for Hondas), and it has incredible resale value. 27 mpg on the highway with a nice v6.

Its a great truck - prob best all rounder rig Ive ever owned.

Agreed along with valve and belt maintenance and an engine mount or two - 300 is a pice of cake.

Its a great truck - prob best all rounder rig Ive ever owned.

Agreed along with valve and belt maintenance and an engine mount or two - 300 is a pice of cake.
But...but...but, "It's not a truck!!!!"

So the internet has been screaming for years, but I find it amusing that I haven't seen a single comment about the Maverick and its unibody not being a truck. Amazing how the internet crowd has clammed up since Ford dropped it on the world.

Even before 2020/2021 you only had to look at the used Ridgeline market to be able to tell that the people that owned them, loved them. You'd have been hard pressed to find an example that wasn't crazy high miles for a reasonable price..

Part of me still wishes I'd bought one but, for me, the Ranger has still filled the bill adequately.

No experience with ownership with either but I would go for the Ranger out of the two. I have ridden in the Tacoma enough times to know I am not a fan of the seating position and would not be comfortable for extended commutes. However, I am strongly considering a Maverick for my use. I'm a home owner who has never owned a truck but a bed would come in handy from time to time for mulch like others have said. The Maverick gets great fuel economy too. It sounds like it would foot your bill.

Love my Honda Ridgeline! Comfortable, durable (300k is a piece of cake for Hondas), and it has incredible resale value. 27 mpg on the highway with a nice v6.
I would have bought a Ridgeline if it had low-speed / stop&go adaptive cruise. Just a complete nonstarter for me. Did not like Ranger or Tacoma due to body roll. Ended up in an F150 which is too much truck but I am very happy with it. If Honda ever steps up its game, I may trade in the Ford. An E-Ridgeline would be incredible.

I saw one of these in the wild today. A bit off topic but kinda cool.

9566B297-1E32-4088-A43F-6C040D4CEA78.jpg

I have driven many many cars and trucks in my lifetime. Hands down the Tacoma was the worst of them all for comfort. What were they thinking when they designed this truck?

I was wondering why no Santa Cruz thoughts. Must not be common yet I have seen a few but I have a dealer right down the road from my shop

There is also gladiator

And doesn’t everyone have mulch places that deliver ? Round here we do it’s not that much more expensive and no work or mess to get it home. If not it’s easy to get in bags on the summer holidays for cheap and it can be hauled in anything or the 20 dollar rental trucks at the big box stores

Haven’t driven a new ranger. Tacoma not very pleasing to drive has a cult like following like a wrangler.

Ridge lines are so nice to drive. I love that trunk in the bed too.

I would have bought a Ridgeline if it had low-speed / stop&go adaptive cruise. Just a complete nonstarter for me. Did not like Ranger or Tacoma due to body roll. Ended up in an F150 which is too much truck but I am very happy with it. If Honda ever steps up its game, I may trade in the Ford. An E-Ridgeline would be incredible.
I read somewhere it was excluded from the Ridgeline because of worry about it being used with a trailer.
Seems to me it could easily be disabled in a tow mode but who knows.

But...but...but, "It's not a truck!!!!"

So the internet has been screaming for years, but I find it amusing that I haven't seen a single comment about the Maverick and its unibody not being a truck. Amazing how the internet crowd has clammed up since Ford dropped it on the world.

Even before 2020/2021 you only had to look at the used Ridgeline market to be able to tell that the people that owned them, loved them. You'd have been hard pressed to find an example that wasn't crazy high miles for a reasonable price..

Part of me still wishes I'd bought one but, for me, the Ranger has still filled the bill adequately.
yup - all that folderol vanished instantly.

The Ranger and the Ridgeline qualify for 179. The Taco and Hyundai dont - this radically alters their desirability to a small business.

I see the Toyota love fest is alive and well, they can’t get oil rings right and in some cases can’t manage to properly attach a steering wheel to a steering gear but around here you’d think they were built by the Greek gods and just hovered through life like A magic carpet never needing anything… what a big steaming pile of :poop:
Even the old Rangers (2001-2011) 4 cylinder 2.3L Duratec are really reliable from what I can tell.I would put them up against my old favorite 22R Toyota trucks.

i have a 2011 fronty SV 4X4 6 spd manual for years + love it!! if looking today for a new model i would opt for another king cab 4X4 as i need + use it. no cracker box Tacos or the smallish overpriced rangers. the V-6 fronty is peppy + my older one averages 19 in Pa summers. size wise the collorado - canyon V-6 would do BUT $$$$. dont need or want a tank although a full size standard cab would be an option but again $$$$. i liked my basic 08 colly 4X4 5 spd manual BUT quite anemic for power!!

I find it hard to believe any of today's trucks will be as reliable decades later as a 1981 Hilux 22R or 1965 F100 240/6. Where rust is a none issue both are still living and working. I just don't believe all those electronics are going to survive 40-60 years.

I find it hard to believe any of today's trucks will be as reliable decades later as a 1981 Hilux 22R or 1965 F100 240/6. Where rust is a none issue both are still living and working. I just don't believe all those electronics are going to survive 40-60 years.
So nothing has ever failed, been fixed, or been replaced on the 65 F100? Just gas, oil changes, and carefree riding?

I think you're probably right. But in 40-60 years there will likely be very few internal combustion engine vehicles of any kind on the road. Classics, collectors, and special purpose only. Look at the demand for hybrid Maverick and F150, and the Lightning.

So nothing has ever failed, been fixed, or been replaced on the 65 F100? Just gas, oil changes, and carefree riding?

Sure, just like they have on the Toyota. However many electronic parts are unobtainium on vehicles much younger unlike a distributor for a 22R or an oil pump for a 240.

Back