Microgreen filters - intrigued

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never paid attention to this brand before, thinking it was just another filter, but finally paid attention at a used MCG cut open. Does the overall process really work, or is it just snake oil ? I mean the concept and practice, not the cost effectiveness . Also, I see they also make cartridges and I cannot see how this idea would even work. I have a Amsoil brand bypass filter system on Suburban so I understand the concept, but I have my doubts if this really works, especially the cartridges.

Spin-on diagram-
http://www.microgreenfilter.com/Site/Products/microgreen-spin-on-oil-filter.aspx

Cartridge diagram-
http://www.microgreenfilter.com/Product/992/mg3244

I was reading about these as well. The micro filter In the dome end filters to 2 microns. The full flow media functions like any typical oil filter. A small amount of oil flow consistently goes through the micro filter where it's gradually finley filtered. It's a similar concept as your bypass system. Just on a smaller scale. I do not doubt that it would function as claimed. The concept is pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
There just isn't enough surface area of that one flat disc to do much good.

I would imagine it would "load up" pretty fast and become ineffective early in its life.

Originally Posted by Donald
I think its interesting but not enough 2 micron filter material to really help. And not sure if its needed for the avg vehicle doing 5000 to 7500 OCI.

The diameter of a human hair is 80 to 100 microns.. The smallest particle visible to the human eye is 50 to 60 microns.
Bacterial cells range from about 1 to 10 microns in length.
That micron disk filter is like the size of Texas to something 2 microns.
Is that disk gonna hold larger microns, say like 25u or greater? Isn't that the job of the full flow section?
I can't believe most oil filters ever come close to loading up in an engine that isn't already just about dead or sludged up so Im not so sure the microgreen isn't able to function as claimed.
If I understand correctly, it's not supposed to be a long term filter so it seems plausible to me that it could do it for the interval suggest by the auto maker.
Have you seen the size the filter element in a l14712 or ph6607 or any of those micro size filters. Those elements are to do the entire job of filtering for the manufacturers recommended oil run. All partical sizes in 4 cylindar engines.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
Microgreen wants you to run these filters 10K while running the oil 30K IIRC.

Yeah, 10k seems modest for the filter. One would just be wasting money on oil analysis personally if he were to go 30k on the oil. Otherwise he'd be too worried
Cheaper just to change the oil.

I'm on my third 30K OCI with MG filters on my car. I did a UOA after the first one with respectable results (You can search as I've posted it about three times in the past.) I liked the idea of producing less waste oil. I learned about the filters on this forum and thought I would "take one for the team" and sacrifice my own car as a guinea pig. So far, so good.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
I'm on my third 30K OCI with MG filters on my car. I did a UOA after the first one with respectable results (You can search as I've posted it about three times in the past.) I liked the idea of producing less waste oil. I learned about the filters on this forum and thought I would "take one for the team" and sacrifice my own car as a guinea pig. So far, so good.

Wow, that is impressive. What is your opinion on the newer made filters? Have they changed? If so for the better or? Curious because I read some discussion about it.
I wonder why the microgreen isn't more in the mainstream?

I've cut one open, once, just to see how it's built. Don't feel the need anymore.

I'm on my third 30K OCI with MG filters on my car. I did a UOA after the first one with respectable results (You can search as I've posted it about three times in the past.)

Have you gotten any ISO particle counts done along with the UOAs?

I've cut one open, once, just to see how it's built. Don't feel the need anymore.

I see. Just the one uoa? I am interested in these things.

I am not as compulsive as the rest of you about these things. The insolubles measured fine. The TBN was still 2.1. (You do have to add about a pint of fresh oil when changing the filter.) Knowing that it's not a measure of anything meaningful, I see no varnish, residue, or sludge inside the fill hole area. I was running 10K OCIs with synthetic as far back as 1991 so I've always been a "rebel." My last vehicle was doing fine on its original engine after 353,000 miles. The purpose of the one UOA was just to see if the oil would still be considered serviceable, which it was. We are not engineers. How "good" a filter looks inside or our theories about what and what is not effective are irrelevant. Facts do not care what you think about them. I am very much enjoying performing only one full oil change every two years. I'm using this regimen with both my kids' cars as well. Neither I nor anyone I know ever keeps a car long enough to wear out the engine so why devote so much life energy to your mechanical conveyance.? I'm about tired of seeing "But, I enjoy changing my oil." I enjoy a lot of things more than that. If it's entertainment for you, go for it.

DBMaster, very logical.
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I never paid attention to this brand before, thinking it was just another filter, but finally paid attention at a used MCG cut open. Does the overall process really work.....I mean the concept and practice, not the cost effectiveness . Also, I see they also make cartridges and I cannot see how this idea would even work.
rubberchicken and any new poster here: put the following in Google.com to find a full list of all the many discussions on bitog:
-------------------------------------------------------
microgreen site:bobistheoilguy.com
-------------------------------------------------------
I've read quite a bit, including seeing UncleDave's video recently, and I think a person is better off getting a Fram Ultra instead. Build quality, some doubts about how they have cheapened the media, etc., are a bit problematic. The Fram Ultra is built well, very tough, full syn media, double layered media, silicone adbv, and filters 99% at 20microns, and, because of depth filtering, it gets 80% at 5 microns, and it flows pretty well as far as what Motorking and ZeeOSix have determined.

The concept of 2 paths, one a normal path, and the other a path which gets out smaller junk, with both paths converging in parallel to get a full flow across both elements, is a good concept.

The cartridge filter with the green sponge covering might work, but this compay just doesn't seem trustworthy enough to take their word for its performance without indepedent testing.

What it comes down to is I'm not quite trusting SOMS (Microgreen company), especially after they lost their big AT&T fleet contract for cause.

Then, we find out SOMS is filing for bankruptcy.
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/25707985/SOMS_Technologies_LLC
https://businessbankruptcies.com/cases/soms-technologies-llc

Fram Ultra is the pick over the MicroGreen. They could have made it work. They didn't execute the idea or design correctly.

One other note: Don't order a MicroGreen directly off Microgreen's website. They are filing for bankruptcy. They might pocket your money and not deliver a filter. Ordering off Amazon is probably safe, since Amazon would cover any non-deliveries, presumably. Of course, you should probably just get a Fram Ultra for all the reasons in my last post.
Edit: It might be OK after all, since trying to order a MicroGreen oil filter off their own website just sends you to Amazon anyway! Amazon will protect your purchase should one decide to order one.

Last edited:
I have been buying mine through Amazon for some time. The minimum purchase shipping rule doesn't apply to them so shipping has always been free. The bankruptcy filing is a concern, though, many companies do it as a means of financial cleansing rather than business cessation. I might be inclined to go the FU route through the same routine if these filters become unavailable. I've wondered a good while, as have several others on this forum, if the regimen could be successful with just about ANY filter. Wouldn't that be a rub?

Yeah I've used quite a few of them and haven't been impressed enough with the UOA after 10k to consider pushing the 30k challenge. I have several left because I bought about a dozen total when I had some gift cards, but I won't be buying any more... there just isn't enough of a difference to justify the $3 or so extra over a FU.

I think the way I will use them is before I do an OCI, I will pull off the filter that was on for the interval and pull my UOA sample from the original filter, then stick a Microgreen on and top it off, then dump in a pint of Kreen and let it work for the last couple hundred to a thousand miles before the actual OCI. This way I get a fresh filter, a small hit of TBN and fresh additives, and the very short time on the MG should filter just fine. I already know my self-imposed limit on mileage, so it will be easy-peasy to pull this off.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
One other note: Don't order a MicroGreen directly off Microgreen's website. They are filing for bankruptcy. They might pocket your money and not deliver a filter. Ordering off Amazon is probably safe, since Amazon would cover any non-deliveries, presumably. Of course, you should probably just get a Fram Ultra for all the reasons in my last post.
Edit: It might be OK after all, since trying to order a MicroGreen oil filter off their own website just sends you to Amazon anyway! Amazon will protect your purchase should one decide to order one.

PayPal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back