Microgreen filters - intrigued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
DBMaster, very logical.
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I never paid attention to this brand before, thinking it was just another filter, but finally paid attention at a used MCG cut open. Does the overall process really work.....I mean the concept and practice, not the cost effectiveness . Also, I see they also make cartridges and I cannot see how this idea would even work.
rubberchicken and any new poster here: put the following in Google.com to find a full list of all the many discussions on bitog:
-------------------------------------------------------
microgreen site:bobistheoilguy.com
-------------------------------------------------------
I've read quite a bit, including seeing UncleDave's video recently, and I think a person is better off getting a Fram Ultra instead. Build quality, some doubts about how they have cheapened the media, etc., are a bit problematic. The Fram Ultra is built well, very tough, full syn media, double layered media, silicone adbv, and filters 99% at 20microns, and, because of depth filtering, it gets 80% at 5 microns, and it flows pretty well as far as what Motorking and ZeeOSix have determined.

The concept of 2 paths, one a normal path, and the other a path which gets out smaller junk, with both paths converging in parallel to get a full flow across both elements, is a good concept.

The cartridge filter with the green sponge covering might work, but this compay just doesn't seem trustworthy enough to take their word for its performance without indepedent testing.

What it comes down to is I'm not quite trusting SOMS (Microgreen company), especially after they lost their big AT&T fleet contract for cause.

Then, we find out SOMS is filing for bankruptcy.
https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/25707985/SOMS_Technologies_LLC
https://businessbankruptcies.com/cases/soms-technologies-llc

Fram Ultra is the pick over the MicroGreen. They could have made it work. They didn't execute the idea or design correctly.

Spot on imo. I had read up on these years ago, and I came to the conclusion, for me, the Ultra was a better choice and cheaper to use. The handful of UOAs I read at the time weren't all that impressive.

Somewhere here I exploded a C&P

The bypass is a spring module tacked in that's underneath the puck carrier.
The puck carrier is elevated above the upper cap by three tack weld stacks - allowing oil to pass under the puck and get through the bypass if opened.
The puck carrier has an opening below the puck itself - and a tube from the opening through the upper cap that opens up into the oil flow - the insinuation is that whatever the puck actually flows goes right to the cleanout outflow stream.

Its this assembly that's changed radically from Norb Ascension original design.
The concept is identical the execution is not

We do have evidence it works per the claim of TBN retention - that's true. We have UOA's to that.
We also have evidence it does not attain 2-micron filtering they claim - this evidence was two report that MG submitted themselves.
We have their ex designer telling us the same thing

So we have truth and a non-truth combined.

The cartridge solution seems a joke where the spin on actually used to work.

We know it worked because they picked up contracts where they had onsite oil analysis already in-house to confirm.
Big public entities with large fleets - we also have seen fleet vehicles from auction show up here with microgreens on them.

MG lost some key people (Steve Kirchner, Norb Assention) and things changed.

UD

Last edited:
ordered 3 microgreens for the Toyota. It's the tiny 101-1 filter but I'm gonna test it out too. See if I can do 30k on same oil too. If the oil remains serviceable then I'll know it works. Dunno if they will be The New or old style. I went to microgreen sight and it put me over to Amazon when clicking to buy. Not so cheap. $10.99 per filter. Anyway I'll see.

I picked up one filter, the MG 201-1 - debating if I am going to use it, or cut it up. The date code is April 3, 2016 ( 4/3/16 ). Anybody know who actually makes the filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back