Microfiber Towels : Ceramic Spray Build Up Concerns (Scratch Finish) ?

I have read where some detailers using ceramic spray wax / sealers elect to only use a microfiber towel once before discarding due to potential ceramic particle build up in the microfiber towel could scratch the finish on subsequent uses when vehicle detailing with ceramic wax / sealers ? I wash and reuse microfiber towels but never thought of this possibility of ceramic particle build up in microfiber towels - your thoughts and experiences on this topic ?

the way I understand it is never to reuse a towel that has been used in the application of a true ceramic coating...those need to be tossed...but ones used with 'ceramic' detail sprays can be washed and reused without incident.

I have read where some detailers using ceramic spray wax / sealers elect to only use a microfiber towel once before discarding due to potential ceramic particle build up in the microfiber towel could scratch the finish on subsequent uses when vehicle detailing with ceramic wax / sealers ? I wash and reuse microfiber towels but never thought of this possibility of ceramic particle build up in microfiber towels - your thoughts and experiences on this topic ?
Like the above replied. However to get my microfiber towels really clean I'll throw in a small amount of simple green or use Adams polishes microfiber rejuvenator.

I have heard this specifically about Jescar PowerLock but that was some time back. They have reformulated it since so I don’t know if it still applies.

The trick is to wash the towels soon after using. I use a Free and Clear detergent and absolutely NO fabric softener or bleach. That stuff will ruin them. Another idea is to add some vinegar to the wash water.

I have had my microfiber towels for almost six years now and for the last 3 or 4 years I have used the Griots 3 in 1 Ceramic Wax spray. The towels are still in good shape and soft.

the way I understand it is never to reuse a towel that has been used in the application of a true ceramic coating...those need to be tossed...but ones used with 'ceramic' detail sprays can be washed and reused without incident.
This is spot on. When I apply a true ceramic coating the cost of new towels is figured in with the estimate as a shop fee. Those towels will never touch paint again. But they are washed and saved for stuff like engine details, exhaust tips, etc.

Thanks for replies - I am referring to Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions (or similar) off the shelf "ceramic spray waxes" from WM .

Never had a problem washing and reusing after a ceramic spray. As Hammer77, stated, I wash my true ceramic coatings towels immediately and use them for misc tasks.

There are special detergents for microfiber towels. I have used one from Adams or Chemical Guys but didn’t notice any difference from unscented laundry detergent.

There are special detergents for microfiber towels. I have used one from Adams or Chemical Guys but didn’t notice any difference from unscented laundry detergent.
Try cleaner soak with something either high ph or low...should remove the residue then wash with no softener\no fragrance detergent with a glug of vinegar in the wash water, warm water, line dry, or on low setting.

Ymmv

Wash my towels in plain cheap soap and rinse twice, come out clean and fluffy.

I don't have enough experience to say I've actually damaged anything.

But I do throw the ceramic soaked towels away just because they never seem to come clean and loose their absorbance properties after.

My Take:

I have a brown and blue drawstring bag. Any microfiber that was used for glassparency windshield coating, or real ceramic / graphene coating will go into the brown bag to be used for door jams, rims, interior, glass, etc.

The jury is still out on Turtle Wax Hybrid Solution Ceramic Spray Wax. It is so close to a real ceramic I really dont know. I usually put a paper clip thru the microfibers and keep them seperated for the time being.

Back