Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax (HCW)

The Meguiars HCW product seems to last longer than most spray waxes. It does not have the same level of slickness or gloss as some spray waxes but is still very decent. On average, it lasts 1-3 months for me but lasts longest if you use it as a wipe-on drying aid. Not a replacement for a true sealant/coating, but better durability than a spray wax.

Process: Washed with Meguiars Hyper Wash, clayed (lightly) using the leftover soap and a CarPro polyshave towel, applied 2-3 sprays of HCW per panel as a drying aid. Followed up with a separate damp microfiber drying towel to level the streaks (due to applying a heavy amount of HCW). Tires were dressed with lots of Carpro Perl at 1:1. Windows received 3D eraser gel and Meguiars D120.

When done, even a beater can look good from 10’ away when it is clean and the tires are dressed. This SUV is super rough but the pictures make it look great.

Attachments

• FAA4BBC8-7040-452F-B30A-99244BF89E02.jpeg
    FAA4BBC8-7040-452F-B30A-99244BF89E02.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 64850B48-801A-4AB1-8F23-18B91A3F3EAC.jpeg
    64850B48-801A-4AB1-8F23-18B91A3F3EAC.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Looks good. Those were my observations, although the initial hype when the product was first launched had me thinking it would last longer. I won't be using it any more. I found Power Lock lasted about three times that easily. Granted it's more work to apply, imo "for me" it's worth the extra effort to use PL. If I were applying it professionally, and a customer was looking to save money by me saving time, the Meguiars product has some merit. You do some very nice work!

Looks good. Using the two bucket method, and one of the Hybrid Waxes as a drying aid is a great way to keep a car looking good. Polishing every year or so as well.

It’s decent, but there’s so many better options. McKee’s 37 Hydro Blue Pro is about the best you can get right now. It has the most sio2 in it.

I like the smell of it but the hose application method is so imprecise that I won't be buying another bottle. Apparently NuFinish has really good durability for how easily it can be bought so I might actually start using that.

It’s decent, but there’s so many better options. McKee’s 37 Hydro Blue Pro is about the best you can get right now. It has the most sio2 in it.
I have the old version of Mckee37 Hydro Blue. Not a shabby product at all. I have tons of product to use up.

I like the smell of it but the hose application method is so imprecise that I won't be buying another bottle. Apparently NuFinish has really good durability for how easily it can be bought so I might actually start using that.
Don't use the hose method. Use it as a wipe on product during drying.

Don't use the hose method. Use it as a wipe on product during drying.
Smart move! I used up the remaining product that way. The hose method IMO is not as good as a wipe on drying application, and wastes more product. The hose off method payoff is getting the job done faster, for me it's not worth it.

I used Hydro Blue Pro on top of McKee's AIO and wasn't impressed at all.

Last edited:

It may have just been how the Hydro Blue interacted with the AIO. 🤷‍♂️ I haven't seen any legitimate testing though that shows McKee's is actually worth it. Doesn't seem to be better than the readily available brands.

Last edited:
Used Hybrid ceramic spray wax this summer instead of a typical sealant and d156 when drying. Found that gloss and beading is MUCH better when mist on/spray off then when buffing off like a drying aid. Still did the first application as a buff off drying aid but after that spray on spray off. I’ve only been doing monthly washes due to time constraints and it’s holding up wonderfully. I’d love to try their ceramic sealant but probably won’t have time and will really let this stuff get a workout through the winter. If it can make it a few months I’ll be happy then.

Used Hybrid ceramic spray wax this summer instead of a typical sealant and d156 when drying. Found that gloss and beading is MUCH better when mist on/spray off then when buffing off like a drying aid. Still did the first application as a buff off drying aid but after that spray on spray off. I’ve only been doing monthly washes due to time constraints and it’s holding up wonderfully. I’d love to try their ceramic sealant but probably won’t have time and will really let this stuff get a workout through the winter. If it can make it a few months I’ll be happy then.

How much do you spray per panel? I feel like I tend to overuse the product because it's not like blasting it with a hose is a precise way to spread it around.

Smart move! I used up the remaining product that way. The hose method IMO is not as good as a wipe on drying application, and wastes more product. The hose off method payoff is getting the job done faster, for me it's not worth it.

I tried the "wax as you dry" method with the Hybrid Ceramic Wax this afternoon and did not like result. It smeared a lot and left behind residue when it dried, requiring that I go back over every panel later.. and even that left an oily/smeary mess behind, so then I had to go over the panels a 3rd time with a different product to get a clean finish.

I may go back to the rinse method just so I can use up the bottle and go back to DG Aquawax. Not a fan of this product.

I tried the "wax as you dry" method with the Hybrid Ceramic Wax this afternoon and did not like result. It smeared a lot and left behind residue when it dried, requiring that I go back over every panel later.. and even that left an oily/smeary mess behind, so then I had to go over the panels a 3rd time with a different product to get a clean finish.

I may go back to the rinse method just so I can use up the bottle and go back to DG Aquawax. Not a fan of this product.
Since I posted above I decided I won't be buying anymore of the product either. I'd rather use the tried and true for me, spend another 30 minutes on the job, and get better longer lasting results.

How much did you use? Usually 2 sprays per panel during the initial application with a wet drying towel, followed by a second wet towel.

Here is the secret........

Use an applicator cloth draped over a foam block and apply just like the videos show on expensive ceramics. They never tell you that because it will be confusing to common consumers. The results are way better.

Also the tests do show the turtle wax versions to be a few notches above meguaires. I'll admit ive never been a turtle wax fan until seal and shine came out.

I got very good results last weekend by spraying the product onto a damp microfiber rag and applying to the car like regular paste or liquid wax. I applied to the car after washing and drying. After applying the product and letting it sit for a couple of minutes I buffed using a large microfiber towel. I divided the car into five segments, as I usually do. I used way less of the product than when I tried to follow the directions and the results are better.

Back