Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV

Problems with Michelin are that thay have floppy sidewalls, and cracks very fast
I've never had that happen. We have a member that lives in Arizona who did, but that's something I've never had happen in Canada. I've owned MANY sets of Michelin tires.

I spent a summer in Bridgewater NS ... is the Michelin plant still there? I'd be interested in how the tires perform for you.
Yes, apparently Michelin has TWO plants in Nova Scotia, I was quite surprised by that. Not a whole lot of industry there. My wife is from NS and two of my sisters live there.

Hmm, no they don’t. At least none of my Michelin did, and I drive on and off on them for 30yrs.

I've experienced the issues he's mentioned. It's what made me switch from Michelin to Nokian - couldn't handle any more sidewall bulges.

This was over a decade ago though and when doing some research, I see posts from back then saying "Runflat tyres are at least 3 to 5 times more prone to sidewall damage/bulges than regular tubeless."

Rapid tire cracking has also been experienced with Nokian but spraying Aerospace 303 on the sidewall once a week seems to have fixed that. If you park outdoors, the issue is inevitable.

Looks like I might be switching back as there's a set of Pilot Sport 5's on the way for next spring to replace the Z-line A/S.

I've experienced the issues he's mentioned. It's what made me switch from Michelin to Nokian - couldn't handle any more sidewall bulges.

This was over a decade ago though and when doing some research, I see posts from back then saying "Runflat tyres are at least 3 to 5 times more prone to sidewall damage/bulges than regular tubeless."

Rapid tire cracking has also been experienced with Nokian but spraying Aerospace 303 on the sidewall once a week seems to have fixed that. If you park outdoors, the issue is inevitable.

Looks like I might be switching back as there's a set of Pilot Sport 5's on the way for next spring to replace the Z-line A/S.
I have not had Michelin RFT. I know they are generally considered better than "stonebridges" in BMW community.
But, I am avoiding RFT like a plague.
I had two sets of X-Ice 2 since 2015, one on X5, another on Sienna, and none had those issues. Also, had PSS on VW CC. Now, that is completely different animal in its own category.

.......The R5 had the lowest score for hydroplaning resistance among the 8 studless tires [235/55R18] tested, and the SNOW had the 2nd lowest score. In other words, they are both mediocre in hydroplaning resistance......
As already noted earlier in this thread, TyreReview tested the non-SUV versions of these tires, in size 205/55R16, and there are some differences in relative performance compared to the Motor.no test of SUV tires in size 235/55R18.

Interestingly, the 205mm wide X-Ice SNOW scored #1 in resistance to hydroplaning, the R5 scored #8, and the VC7 scored #7.

In wet braking, the VC7, R5, and X-Ice were midpack performers, and had braking distances (from 80 km/hr) within 0.55 meters of each other. VC7 was shortest, X-Ice was longest.

As already noted earlier in this thread, TyreReview tested the non-SUV versions of these tires, in size 205/55R16, and there are some differences in relative performance compared to the Motor.no test of SUV tires in size 235/55R18.

Interestingly, the 205mm wide X-Ice SNOW scored #1 in resistance to hydroplaning, the R5 scored #8, and the VC7 scored #7.

In wet braking, the VC7, R5, and X-Ice were midpack performers, and had braking distances (from 80 km/hr) within 0.55 meters of each other. VC7 was shortest, X-Ice was longest.
The question is: what happens after 10k?

The question is: what happens after 10k?
Michelin claims the SNOW will be superior to its rivals.

From a post I made in an older thread, quoting a journalist at the X-Ice SNOW press event :

"Michelin emphasizes that their braking performance and traction during acceleration on ice and snow remain at the same level throughout the entire service life, up to a residual tread depth of 3 mm... ...But the main emphasis that was made when developing new products is longevity. On the tires of the new model, you can cover 1900 km more than on similar products Continental, Goodyear or Nokian - say Michelin.... ...Michelin X-Ice Snow's internal tests were conducted at Test World in Finland, where they were compared with direct competitors Continental VikingContact 7 , Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 , Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 and Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 2 . Not only new tires, but also tires with two degrees of wear were tested: after a run of 10,000 km, which corresponds to the average of one winter season, and with a residual tread depth of 4 mm (an expected result after three winter of operation)... ...According to the test results, Michelin X-Ice Snow defeated their rivals both in a new condition and in a worn out one. The only exception was the braking performance of new tires on ice, where the braking distance of the Continental VikingContact 7 was slightly less... ....But it seems that this fact does not upset the manufacturer, who notes that the advantage of X-Ice Snow over competitors increases with wear and tear, which is fully consistent with its Long Lasting Performance philosophy that its tires should remain safe, no matter how many kilometers they are have passed...."

Michelin claims the SNOW will be superior to its rivals.

From a post I made in an older thread, quoting a journalist at the X-Ice SNOW press event :

They always claim that. They did that with Xi3.
They actually did tests with worn-out XI3. From my experience with all Michelin tires I had, they do retain performance better than anyone.

Is the apparent superiority of the X-Ice SNOW (non-SUV version) in hydroplaning resistance confirmed by other tests? No.

I looked at last years tests by MOTOR magazine in Norway. They tested tires in the size 205/55R16, same size as tested by TyreReview in the UK.

The MOTOR tests show the X-Ice SNOW to be essentially equal in hydroplaning resistance to the Nokian R3 and Continental VC7.

The Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 2 was the clear leader in all the wet performance tests: braking, handling, and hydroplaning. It's wet performance superiority was demonstrated again in this years MOTOR magazine test of 235/55R18 tires.

Is the apparent superiority of the X-Ice SNOW (non-SUV version) in hydroplaning resistance confirmed by other tests? No.

I looked at last years tests by MOTOR magazine in Norway. They tested tires in the size 205/55R16, same size as tested by TyreReview in the UK.

The MOTOR tests show the X-Ice SNOW to be essentially equal in hydroplaning resistance to the Nokian R3 and Continental VC7.

The Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 2 was the clear leader in all the wet performance tests: braking, handling, and hydroplaning. It's wet performance superiority was demonstrated again in this years MOTOR magazine test of 235/55R18 tires.
The GY Winter Command Ultra looks like the same exact pattern as the Ultra Grip Ice 2. I wonder if the compound is different or labelling for NA vs. others? My Accord was good in dry and wet but I'm mostly highway, I don't recall any personal at the limit tests or emergencies as I try to plan accordingly and leave space. Snow was good in my testing. I had some balancing issues and the tread is almost 1" narrower than X-ice of the same size.

1668358800741.png

1668358824497.png

Hmm, no they don’t. At least none of my Michelin did, and I drive on and off on them for 30yrs.

My last set of primacy's cracked so bad my dealer replaced two for free- but so cal is a harsher place than most for tires to stay outside.

Maybe a bad run of tires? Maybe normal for them.

In this big test of 16 different studded and studless SUV 235/55R18 winter tires..........
The R5 had the lowest score for hydroplaning resistance among the 8 studless tires tested, and the SNOW had the 2nd lowest score. In other words, they are both mediocre in hydroplaning resistance.

The R5 had a float speed of 60.3 km/hr

The X-Ice SNOW had a float speed of 61.9 km/hr

The Conti VC7 had a float speed of 68 km/hr

The Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 2 had a float speed of 70.2 km/hr

In this big test of 16 different studded and studless SUV 235/55R18 winter tires (by Motor Magazine of Norway) there are some interesting results..........
The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V3 was, at best, a midpack performer in this test.

DM-V3 is the name of the SUV version of Bridgestone's classic studless Blizzak. But in terms of results, the DM-V3 ends up in no man's land.

It achieves few top results in the individual rounds, but also does not fall completely through in any of the disciplines.

Among the strengths are good sound comfort, short braking distance on dry roads, in addition to well-balanced driving characteristics with good cornering grip on snow.

Unfortunately, for a studless tire in the Norwegian market, it has the biggest problems in the ice rounds where it ends up well behind the other premium names.

Despite its four longitudinal drainage channels, it does not impress in the aquaplaning test either. Without being able to show off top skills in some sub-exercises, there will be few points - and only sixth place overall.

PLUS:

Braking distance on dry roads, cornering grip on snow, road noise.

MINUS:

Cornering grip on wet roads, aquaplaning, rolling resistance.

The GY Winter Command Ultra looks like the same exact pattern as the Ultra Grip Ice 2. I wonder if the compound is different or labelling for NA vs. others? My Accord was good in dry and wet but I'm mostly highway, I don't recall any personal at the limit tests or emergencies as I try to plan accordingly and leave space. Snow was good in my testing. I had some balancing issues and the tread is almost 1" narrower than X-ice of the same size.
Yes, I agree, the two tires do have identical tread designs. And as you say the difference ,if any, may be in rubber formulation. As I understand it having the same winter tread design but with different winter rubber formulations and different tire names for different markets is not unheard of. Continental was doing that around 8-10 years ago, as I recall.

I have a set on the Prius , they work well .I tried lots of snows over the years,. I found the Bridgestones worked well also....But I'm sticking to the Michelins now , for 2 reasons. One, the feel of the Mich. are almost the same as summer tires. Brid. are very mushy, and I hate that as an aggressive driver. And is I tow a large snowmobile trailer with the XC, the better handling is very important to me. 2, the Mich. last longer. When the Xi wear ont on the XC , I'll prob. get a set of these.

Back