Michelin X-Ice 4 North for Canada ...

Canada is a very big country and such a generalization is tantamount to misinformation. One cannot use studs in southern Canada and they can only be used in central and northern Canada due to the road damage they cause.
I'd rather have the Hakka with the latest studs much more silent and effective.
P.S. Odie this was not address to you, but the article.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pelican

Have 2 cars (2019 RAV4 and 2019 JGC) with the Hakka 9s and studs. The studs are 2 designs - middle of tire studs are oval for braking and acceleration and side studs are triangle shaped for cornering.
Used them all last winter.
The Hakka studs aren't that quiet. The JGC has much better sound deadening than the RAV4, but stud roar noticeable in both.
As for traction, kind of average in general. But good in the glare ice conditions I see, where the city does not salt residential and secondary roads.

Call me not convinced they do better overall than a newest model Blizzak.

The previous Michelin X-Ice and other studless tires like it work well for what they are. They will never work as well as studded tires on ice. I have 3 sets of General Altimax Arctic studded mounted for my winter changeovers. I have really liked them. It's going to be the last winter for one and possibly two sets. Lot's of tire life left but missing studs are becoming an issue and I really like the studs for our winter glare ice polished to a mirror sheen by the wind. I will give these X-ice 4's a hard look next fall.

Last edited:
Canada is a very big country and such a generalization is tantamount to misinformation. One cannot use studs in southern Canada and they can only be used in central and northern Canada due to the road damage they cause.

There is nothing silent about ANY Hakka tire, studs or not.

If you really have to get studs, at least get the Hakka 9, which are supposed to be less-damaging to the roads since the studs have shock absorbers in them

The announcement is probably missing lots of details. Likely would be available unstudded.

As for the studs, the laws vary from province to province as well. Here in Alberta, I could use them year round in any part of the province if I wanted to. The laws here are completely silent on their use. In neighbouring British Columbia, I believe their use is restricted to between October and April.

Originally Posted by weebl

The announcement is probably missing lots of details. Likely would be available unstudded.

As for the studs, the laws vary from province to province as well. Here in Alberta, I could use them year round in any part of the province if I wanted to. The laws here are completely silent on their use. In neighbouring British Columbia, I believe their use is restricted to between October and April.

There is new Michelin non-studded winter tire and it will be made in Canada among other places.

We had the orignal Altimax Artic with and without studs . Very impressive . We looked at the Arctic 12 and not impressed . The sipes are only a 1/3 or 1/4 deep . The original Artic almost were to the base of the tire . Purchased the Cooper Evolution Winter because the sipes go close to the base like that of the Altimax Arctic .

Back