Michelin Defender Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you know, I purchased a 2000 Audi A6 from my wife's great aunt's estate almost a year ago. It had 48,000 original miles and was immaculate. The only downside was the wheels and tires. It had Michelin MXV4 Plus'on it at the time. As an older lady (97) she had used the wheels and tires as curb and pothole feelers for a long time. The factory wheels were gauged up and the tire sidewalls had chucks of rubber missing. The two front tires were at 8/32 and the back two were at 4/32 with horrible wear. Apparently she had replaced the front two when she blew them out on New Jersey potholes!

I didn't plan on keeping them on there for long because they were in awful shape. After about 3 months of ownership I had my excuse to purchase new wheels and tires when the belt started separating on one of the older tires.

I did a lot of shopping and price comparison. I bought a set of four Sport Edition 5-spokes from Tire Rack in the original 205/55R16 size. Then I cross-shopped tires.

I have had a fair amount of tires on my rides in the past. Pirelli P4 (great in the wet, horrible MPGs), Goodyear RS-A (OK in the dry, terrible in as little as a puddle), Falkens (decent for the price, but loud), Kuhmos (so boring I forgot anything about them), Hankook 727 (great grip, decent price) and Michelin MXV4 (amazing tires, had them on an Audi A4, Mazda 3, Honda, etc).

After looking at the pricing, I was down between the Hankook 727 and Michelin Defenders. As much as I love the MXV4s from the past, they were too expensive since I had already shelled out some money for the wheels. For $20 per tire more I decided to go with the Defenders for $134 each as priced from DTD.

I then called my local tire installer chain and told them the price I could get on the Defenders online and asked if they could match it. To my surprise they happily matched the price with very little haggling, down from their original quote of $160 ea. This was accompanied by free roadside and flat assistance and rotations for life.

Suffice to say, the difference between the old and new tires way amazing. I expected it since the old tires were so shot, but it was beyond my expectations. The car drove smooth, tracked like a bullet and there was very little road noise.

Now with almost 10k miles on the tires and one rotation, here are my observations of my Michelin Defender 205/55R16s.

Noise: These are fantastically quiet tires. Hardly any noise makes it into the cabin. Even with the windows rolled down there is just a whisper from them, even on old pavement.

Ride: Ride quality is less than average. The Defenders have a 90k mile treadlife warranty (ie: hard rubber) and it shows. The tires don't feel rough over imperfections necessarily, they just feel like they are solid rubber donuts with a very small air chamber in them. Compared to the MXV4s I had on my previous Audi, these are definitely harder riding. That being said, they are not unforgiving. Washboard roads do not unsettle them and vibration is damped, but the Defenders are not a comfort geared grand touring tire like MXV4.

Wear: With almost 10k on the tires, there is hardly any noticeable wear occuring, a little over 1/64. They are wearing even and smooth with no feathering or cupping. This impressed me because Quattro Audis are notoriously tough on tires.

Durability: About 3 months after getting the tires I was turning left in a dark intersection and there was a curb jutting way out that I did not see until it was too late. I hit it at about 30 mph with both drivers side tires. Hopped right over the curb. After inspecting the tires and wheels, I had the car balanced and aligned. The tires balanced no problem, not discernible damage.

Wet: This has been a very wet summer and the Defenders have taken it in stride. Great grip, even in torrential showers. I felt one tire lift over a puddle the interstate once, but it lasted no more than a split second before the tire reconnected. Didn't phase the car's trajectory.

Snow/Ice: This last winter was rather mild, so I have not had the chance to test the tires in this environment. This winter will be the true test!

Value: For the price I paid, $134/tire, I think these were a fantastic value. Mid-grade all-seasons run about $20-30 less per tire, but the premium is worth the real-world treadlife that they Defenders are providing on my car.

Verdict: I am very satisfied with my purchase. I have always had good experiences with Michelin and the Defenders are no different. I am planning on keeping my Audi at least 100k more miles and I have no doubt the Defenders will be on it for most of that time. MXV4s may have been more complimentary to the Audi's suspension tuning, but I was looking for longevity/durability over ride, so it was a worthy compromise for me. Will I put replace the OEM MXV4s on my Honda Odyssey with Defenders when it comes time? Probably not. My wife values a smooth ride of all else. So, in summary, if you are willing to give up a little ride comfort for treadlife and durability, the Defender is hard to match and worth the upgrade from a less expensive brand.

I will update in another 10k miles!

Put a set on our 2009 Caravan from the original equopment tires. Yokohamas I think? Anyway, it was night & day in comparison. Suffice to say, the van rides far better now than it did before. It tracks accurately, is great in the horrid rain that this past summer brought to us & they display NO wear. Probably the best tire that I have ever used & I have used a few...!

So far, I cannot praise them enough.

John.

I post this alot.
smile.gif

There is 3-4 different mxv4's

Energy mxv4 = bad
pilot hx mxv4= mediocre (OEM)
primacy mxv4 = good
primacy mxm4- new very good, slight sacrifice of snow traction

the oem tires are usually pilot hx mxv4(esp on hondas)
The primacy mxv4 is a much better tire.

I have defenders on a 2010 hyundai accent.
They have a firm ride, overall very happy with them on that vehicle. Gas Mileage(MPG) is same or tiny bit worse than oem.

I agree with everything you said about them. Hydroplaning resistance is about average.. since its majorly a function of the tread pattern. That makes sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I post this alot.
smile.gif

There is 3-4 different mxv4's

Energy mxv4 = bad
primacy mxv4 = good

Thanks for the input, Rand. My previous Audi and Mazda3 had Primacy MXV4s and I cannot say enough good things about that tire.

My current Audi had Energy MXV4s. I'm reserving judgement because they had been beat to death by a 90-plus year old lady.

I'll have to check on what the Ody had, but I have a feeling that you are correct in saying they are the hx line. I am already anticipating a review of this rubber once we have some miles on it.

BTW, like you I have noticed no change (+ or -) in MPGs with the Defender. With that I am hesitant to believe they are a true LRR tire.

Thanks for your review! I am deciding to replace my Michelin Energy tires soon on my 2011 Ford Crown Vic! I'd love a tire that rides nice & lasts a long time! I'm considering these very much.

Originally Posted By: SF0059

BTW, like you I have noticed no change (+ or -) in MPGs with the Defender. With that I am hesitant to believe they are a true LRR tire.

They are LRR vs a generic standard touring tire.
Since most oem tires are already LOW to very LRR tires
I'm actually happy with the defenders being about the same.

If you think about it a 90000mile treadlife tire has to have compromises somewhere.. be it wet traction, or Rolling resistance.
I'm happy to say They have good wet traction.. and the MPG is about the same as OEM. So, pretty amazing overall for a high treadlife tire to be this good.

Not saying you cant find a better traction tire, or a better LRR tire, but you cant find one with anywhere close to a 90000 treadlife warranty.. that's for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, i was planning on getting a set for my Civic. Gotta get these ***** walmart Douglas tires off.

Didn't someone else on here post (very recently) that there are different versions of the Defender depending on the retailer?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Didn't someone else on here post (very recently) that there are different versions of the Defender depending on the retailer?

IIRC the tires are the same, but the names have been changed to protect the retailers.

I bought a set of Defenders last December for my wife's Corolla since they were supposed to be the cat's pajamas. I like them well enough and I anticipate years of good performance out of them, but I'm surprised that in these nine months, I think I've seen ONE other car on the road with Defenders. Are they just not that popular?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I bought a set of Defenders last December for my wife's Corolla since they were supposed to be the cat's pajamas. I like them well enough and I anticipate years of good performance out of them, but I'm surprised that in these nine months, I think I've seen ONE other car on the road with Defenders. Are they just not that popular?

I think they're really pricey. Even if they last longer, a lot of people buy based on price.

I got a full set of tires for my wife's Civic five years ago, and it's clocked maybe 20K miles since - mostly with long family trips. A tire that lasts 70K miles doesn't mean much for people who have daily drivers running shorter trips.

When I went to Costco, this was the ONLY tire they had in her car's size - at $104 each. I ended up getting a pair of tires for $53 each elsewhere.

I think the other deal is that it's hard to get worked up over touring tires. These are like transport jets, when most enthusiasts want to talk about fighter jets.

I had a new set of Defenders thrown on the Tucson not long ago, coming up to 5k miles. So far I'm happy with them.
Placard 33F/33R - I'm running 37F/35R.
Nice & quiet.

Are they just not that popular?

Sadly most people go to Walmart or a tire dealer and ask them to put on the cheapest set of tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Are they just not that popular?

Sadly most people go to Walmart or a tire dealer and ask them to put on the cheapest set of tires.

Sometimes, but it might simply depend on the car too. Not many people I know are going to slap a 100 buck tire on a nearly 11 year old cavalier either.

Also depends on what you want from your tires....

This morning I was stopped at a light and noticed a set on a recent-model Mustang Convertible. Seemed out of place. I would have expected high performance tires that would likely not wear as long.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Energy mxv4 = bad
primacy mxv4 = good

the oem tires are usually pilot hx mxv4(esp on hondas)

A little off topic, but I verified that my Ody has Primacy MXV4s, not the Pilot HXs. Hopefully that will will bode well for tire life if Honda didn't tinker with the OEM version of the tire too much!

Originally Posted By: SF0059

A little off topic, but I verified that my Ody has Primacy MXV4s, not the Pilot HXs. Hopefully that will will bode well for tire life if Honda didn't tinker with the OEM version of the tire too much!

That is a good point..

Sometimes there will be 2 tires the same size
one will be an oem tire and one aftermarket.

just to make it more confusing.

Other manufacturer just make that one size all oem

so for example You will have people saying
goodyear RSA's are great or terrible.. because they are really 2 totally different tires in different sizes.

I did. 2001 Cavalier 195 /70-14. With the Labor Day discounts and the Michelin mail in rebate they were cheeper than other options by Goodyear, Uniroyal and Cooper and others. Anyhow, so far 1000+ miles, they ride real quiet, no problems with losing traction in the rain and my gas milage is the same as the prior tires (worn out Sigma's). So far so good.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Defender XT at Costco and Sam's Club. Difference is a non-assymetrical tread pattern, apparently with no significant performance differences.

The name changes with slight cosmetic tread pattern difference was the predecessor to the Defender: Harmony/Destiny/X Radial DT/WeatherWise II.

Finally took the plunge and put the Defenders on 1999 Odyssey 196.7K miles. I have every intention of using the 90K tread-ware of this tire on the van :)

Initial impression:- the road noise seems to be the same. Although it might be just the drive train and the van noise. I was hoping that it would be tire noise. But alas, not.

The steering feels sharper. I am not sure how I am going to test the handling of the van with this tire. The van had BF Goodrich and they were getting pretty old (purchased in 2006) and had started hydroplaning in rain at over 50mph.

I did pay lot more for Michelin name but I have good experience with Michelin tires in general and besides OP here and EricTheCarGuy (same van) gave great reviews to Defender, so I decided to splurge a little for the van's last set of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back