Michelin CrossClimate2 or Primacy Tour A/S for 2014 Honda Accord in New England

I've been looking forward to replacing my awful OEM Goodyear Assurance tires for my Accord this winter. I was all but decided on the CrossClimate2 until I read reviews about the on-center steering being light and poor feedback in cornering. The Primacy Tour A/S looks promising but I can't find any reviews that compare these two tires. Does anyone have the Primacy Tour A/S that can lend their experience? My primary concern is during long road trips at 70-80mph with the CC2s is that the car won't track well and will dart a bit in the lane. Perhaps the CC2 are overkill for NE weather... Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to BITOG!

Are you going to use a separate set of tires for the winter? If not, you should consider a 3-peak all-season like the CC2

"Perhaps the CC2 are overkill for NE weather"

I do not understand this statement. I think they may be "under kill" for some NE locations. Green Mountains, White Mountains, sometimes I feel hills of Worcester are quite treachary.

Krzyś

Welcome to BITOG!

Are you going to use a separate set of tires for the winter? If not, you should consider a 3-peak all-season like the CC2

I don't plan to have a dedicated winter tire as I don't have the room to store another set.

"Perhaps the CC2 are overkill for NE weather"

I do not understand this statement. I think they may be "under kill" for some NE locations. Green Mountains, White Mountains, sometimes I feel hills of Worcester are quite treachary.

Krzyś

Fair enough, I should have been more specific on where I plan to use it. I'm an experienced winter driver, but I don't live in any of those areas and wouldn't likely see that kind of weather unless I got caught in a storm. Now, if I were driving through VT regularly then I certainly would get the CC2s. There are only a handful of days a year I drive on unplowed or slush highways. I don't know if getting the CC2s would be sacrificing steering responsiveness / high-speed stability during long trips (which I do more frequently) for a few snowy days.

It's worth getting the CC2 in your situation.

Anything north of NYC, definitely anywhere in New England, you want something with a 3-peak in the winter.

Why's that?

Mainly because of the good price you can get them for with all the promotions they run. That's a big part of it. The Cooper CS5 Ultra is the other BITOG favorite.

Last edited:
I'd say if you value ride comfort and performance & responsiveness above winter / adverse weather traction, the Primacy Tour would get my vote. I haven't driven on the Primacy Tour specifically, but I owned a couple sets of Michelin's Primacy MXV4 and they were stellar tires. The Primacy Tour is a newer model, I expect it to be just as good or better.

To me, the CC2's unusual tread design has to have some attribute trade-offs, one is the fact they're directional, so you can't perform a standard rotation. But they're designed to perform well in all 4 seasons, so they'll likely be much better in snow than the Primacy, so if you get snow often where you live, I'd choose the CC2.

Assuming Primacy Tour A/S perform similar to Premier A/S, and you are not going to use CC2.
I would use the following before using Primacy Tour A/S:

1. Continental PureContact LS
2. General Altimax RT43

Both are rank higher by Consumer Report than Michelin Premier A/S and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Serson Plus. Consumer Report has not tested Primacy Tour A/S and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Serson Plus II.

Assuming Primacy Tour A/S perform similar to Premier A/S, and you are not going to use CC2.
I would use the following before using Primacy Tour A/S:

1. Continental PureContact LS
2. General Altimax RT43

Both are rank higher by Consumer Report than Michelin Premier A/S and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Serson Plus. Consumer Report has not tested Primacy Tour A/S and Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Serson Plus II.

I appreciate the added options. The PureContact looks like a solid option over the RT43 due to the stiffer sidewall being more appropriate for my driving preferences. My primary concern with the PureContact is the reviews about increased noise over the life of the tire.

IIRC you just purchased a set of CC2s, can you provide any insight into the trade-offs of handling, high-speed stability, and straight-line tracking on the highway?

For all season tires that could get you through the winters:
*Continental Pure Contact
*ContiTrueContact Tour
*Good/Year Assurance Comfortread
*AltiMAX RT43
*Pirelli P7 A/S Plus II
*Cooper CS5
**Cross Climate would be better in the snow among the above but can be NOISY!...depending on you tolerance level.
*Michelin Primacy MXV4 are not so great in the snow. Lots of slipping & sliding in my experience. But man, are they quiet!

In no particular order are^^^ all good choices(I've had most of them) and there are others...depending on what you want exactly.

If you're going to consider non-Michelin tires, here are some good 3-peak tires:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Nokian WRG4
Toyo Celsius
Goodyear Weatherready
Kumho Solus HA31

Put a set of CC2’s on my 2016 Honda Accord a month ago. Have not experienced any of the issues described above (steering responsiveness, high-speed stability, noise)...I think they are a nice tire, anxious to see how they handle in slush and snow!

Put a set of CC2’s on my 2016 Honda Accord a month ago. Have not experienced any of the issues described above (steering responsiveness, high-speed stability, noise)...I think they are a nice tire, anxious to see how they handle in slush and snow!

Thanks for the first-hand feedback! Any negative traits at all so far?

I appreciate the added options. The PureContact looks like a solid option over the RT43 due to the stiffer sidewall being more appropriate for my driving preferences. My primary concern with the PureContact is the reviews about increased noise over the life of the tire.

IIRC you just purchased a set of CC2s, can you provide any insight into the trade-offs of handling, high-speed stability, and straight-line tracking on the highway?
First 100 miles: I almost change the tires because of the lack of steering feedback.

Another 150 miles later, total 250 miles: I think the tires have kind of break in already. I can accept the straight line tracking and high speed stability performance of the tires. Handling and grip are good. However as said by Tire Rack, the tires are difficult to turn consistent laps due to quick steering.

With the FWD Accord, I'm willing to accept the trade off. I hope the tires will outperform the RT43 in snow by a wide margin. I sometimes need to drive during bad winter weather condition in Chicago.

I think you can take advantage of Michelin's 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. It may be a hassle if you really end up using it, but at least you can try the tires and decide yourself. Drive as much as you could if you get the tires, the tires will perform better after break in.

Well, you certainly live in the area to find out! :) Please post a review this coming winter.
Thanks,

CB

I've been looking forward to replacing my awful OEM Goodyear Assurance tires for my Accord this winter. I was all but decided on the CrossClimate2 until I read reviews about the on-center steering being light and poor feedback in cornering. The Primacy Tour A/S looks promising but I can't find any reviews that compare these two tires. Does anyone have the Primacy Tour A/S that can lend their experience? My primary concern is during long road trips at 70-80mph with the CC2s is that the car won't track well and will dart a bit in the lane. Perhaps the CC2 are overkill for NE weather... Any opinions are welcome. Thanks!
My Michelin Latitude Xi2 track excellent at 100-110mph.
Do not worry about CC2 tracking. Probably will do better than many A/S tires, including RT43.

First 100 miles: I almost change the tires because of the lack of steering feedback.

Another 150 miles later, total 250 miles: I think the tires have kind of break in already. I can accept the straight line tracking and high speed stability performance of the tires. Handling and grip are good. However as said by Tire Rack, the tires are difficult to turn consistent laps due to quick steering.

With the FWD Accord, I'm willing to accept the trade off. I hope the tires will outperform the RT43 in snow by a wide margin. I sometimes need to drive during bad winter weather condition in Chicago.

I think you can take advantage of Michelin's 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. It may be a hassle if you really end up using it, but at least you can try the tires and decide yourself. Drive as much as you could if you get the tires, the tires will perform better after break in.

My original CC did that too, needed much more steering input for the first few hundred miles, I also almost removed them again. Not sure if it's release agent, or too much thread. They became solid after that though. CC2 might not?

Back