Miami Herald has article about short life of E.V. tires

I presume fast acceleration and friction from constant regen? Add a heavy vehicle to those conditions and I can see tires wearing faster.

IIRC, Elon was considering having special high mileage tires made for Teslas but I can't find any article to reference.

Big coincidence happening now in my family:
Bro calls me asking 'bout my pal in the tire business (nice guy).
SIL's Volvo XC-40 Recharge needs front tires after only about 10,000 miles.
Got me thinking that never in all the time they've been together, have I been in a vehicle with her at the wheel.
I'm going to assume she floors it. I think it has regenerative braking too.
235/45/20 fronts Foam insert OE
255/40/20 rears Foam insert OE
Rears are on national backorder.
Fronts are available OE for $345 each. Ever notice how "each" rhymes with "ouch"?

They'll go for replacements without the foam filling. 2 day wait.
I'm waiting for photos from my brother so I can initiate the order.

edit: Is there a link to the article?

New tires every 7,000 miles
That was the most extreme example they mentioned, and it was also on a new vehicle. One thing the article didn't mention is that auto manufacturers usually use a special version of a tire model on their new cars, usually with less tread depth and other design changes. They can do it to save cost, lower rolling resistance, and improve comfort and handling for a good first impression, all at the expense of tire life.

The added weight of an EV shouldn't make much of a difference, since the tires would be larger and with a higher load rating to compensate for the weight. Larger tires are more expensive though.

I'm thinking the low-LRR and low-noise tire designs have a lot to do with it. Most EVs are still in the upscale luxury/performance market and their owners probably tend to care more about traction, range, and cabin noise than tire life, and the EV tire market would reflect that.

Have to take the higher cost of electric bill in the future when more energy ( coal , natural gas , nuclear ) and upgrades to system are needed . Every thing said to better alternative ends up being more expensive , Example : T.V. service , phone , etc.. 0 emissions is misleading . All starts upstream ( energy plants ) and then flows downstream to the consumer .

It really depends on how a vehicle is driven and the tires. My dad drives his Model 3 pretty gently and I don't see anything that looks like premature wear after 3000 miles. We had that loaner and what appeared to be the factory-installed 18" Michelin tires were close to the wear bars at about 50,000 miles and 5 years. But that was a 2018 Model 3 Long Range that came with different tires than the Model 3 Performance.

At least in my dad's case I don't anticipate that the tires are going to be a big expense.

Then there's the energy needed to produce tires that are replaced every 20,000 miles or so . Most people do not drive without a heavy foot from my experiences on the road .

I have driven my leaf for over 83,000 miles and never had this problem.
The original tires lasted 0 to 50k miles the original owner put 0 to 46k miles on my leaf and was very easy on the car. I give that car pure he'll used it to rip down trees, pull logs across my field, tow a 3000lb boom lift, put on energy save A/S tires those lasted from 50k to around 96k, current energy saver tires are almost done at 131k. I really should have replaced them before this winter but I figured I would risk it and get one more winter out of them, plus I heard Michelin has redesigned the energy saver A/S as of last summer and I'm trying to get the new version.

If people are getting 7k miles on tires it's either stupid people doing stupid tricks or dirt cheap chicom tires.
Reminds me of the tarded WRX owners that were only getting 3k miles on the clutch.

I'm thinking the low-LRR and low-noise tire designs have a lot to do with it. Most EVs are still in the upscale luxury/performance market and their owners probably tend to care more about traction, range, and cabin noise than tire life, and the EV tire market would reflect that.

Base models actually have long-wearing, lower rolling resistance tires. Base Model 3s can have the Michelin Primacy MXV4. It's not the highest performance but kind of a jack of all trades trying to balance performance and wear. I've heard some complaints, but my dad isn't someone who drives his car hard. I set it to Chill performance and creep, and he's happy with it.

The strange thing is that EVs could easily have some sort of setting for longer tire wear by progressively accelerating. They have ridiculous amount of control over the acceleration. Like how EMALS (induction motors) are supposed to revolutionize aircraft carrier catupults with better control that is supposed to be easier on the airframes than just slamming it with steam power.

More likely to buy a hybird than a E.V.. Have always owned small cars ( Prius , Yaris , Colts , Corolla ( Prism ), etc. ) that get good gas mileage and plan to stay that way . One exception is the Maverick hybrid .

that was posted on 1/24/24 . New tires every 7,000 miles . Owners talk of expense of tires for their E.V.. Worth a read and watch of video . Between the cold and tires gonna pass .
Surprised at the low mileage but not at all surprised in general. Electric motors provide instant torque so they need grippy "summer" tires. I think EV owners just get so used to the torque and lack of wheelspin that they don't realize how much wear they're putting on the tires. I'm sure every automaker has tailored their software to help extend tire life. I'd be curious to know what model is only getting 7k miles.

I have driven my leaf for over 83,000 miles and never had this problem.
The original tires lasted 0 to 50k miles the original owner put 0 to 46k miles on my leaf and was very easy on the car. I give that car pure he'll used it to rip down trees, pull logs across my field, tow a 3000lb boom lift, put on energy save A/S tires those lasted from 50k to around 96k, current energy saver tires are almost done at 131k. I really should have replaced them before this winter but I figured I would risk it and get one more winter out of them, plus I heard Michelin has redesigned the energy saver A/S as of last summer and I'm trying to get the new version.

If people are getting 7k miles on tires it's either stupid people doing stupid tricks or dirt cheap chicom tires.
Reminds me of the tarded WRX owners that were only getting 3k miles on the clutch.
Being Florida , the high temps would likely contribute . Road surfaces apply as well .

Surprised at the low mileage but not at all surprised in general. Electric motors provide instant torque so they need grippy "summer" tires. I think EV owners just get so used to the torque and lack of wheelspin that they don't realize how much wear they're putting on the tires.

Wheelspin is bad for tires unless it's wet. I live on a hill and there are tire marks all over from people just trying to move uphill.

Getting positive traction is better for tire wear. I think the big problem is that some people drive hard and chirp their tires.

Back