Messed up an oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been doin it for 13 years now. This is the first leaker I ever had. 2009 Ford Fusion 2.3 with the cartridge filter. Done it right twice now. Third times a charm hehe. Anyway the gasket around the plastic cartridge filter keeps popping out of the cartridge, causing it to leak. I took it off and put it on the bottom again but it continues to leak. I cant figure it out.

My 2.3L Mazda cartridge housing require 25 ft/lbs and I use a torque wrench. As mentioned,I always lube the O-rings and make sure the O-ring recess id clean. Maybe a piece of the old ring is still n there. Like cartridge filters because they let me see the filter element going in & out. In addition, I alway lube both ends of the cartridge to lessen twisting force on the element.

I have changed a lot of oil in my time and have done a ton of cartridge filters and always find them to be a PITA in most cases.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have changed a lot of oil in my time and have done a ton of cartridge filters and always find them to be a PITA in most cases.

I think the BMW drop in oil fliters on their in-line sixes like the M50 are considered "cartridge" filters. They are easy IMO as they are on top of the engine.

Cartridge oil filter on top of the engine is the easiest filter change can be done, easy to remove & easy to install and without a drop of oil on the engine. Cartridge oil filter at the bottom of the engine is different story.

The only cartridge oil filter replacement I have done is on a VW 2.0T FSI. It was actually quite a pleasant oil change as there is a built-in drain in the cartridge cover to prevent messes.

However, it is definitely necessary to replace the o-rings at each service, as the o-rings seem to "crush" to form a seal. If you are having difficulty with the o-rings, then I would try a different brand of filter. Please realize though, that if the cartridge has ever been overtightened, you may need to tighten the cartridge to a greater tightness than the OE specified as the plastic threads may be damaged. (if the housing is plastic)

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: StevieC

I think the BMW drop in oil fliters on their in-line sixes like the M50 are considered "cartridge" filters. They are easy IMO as they are on top of the engine.

Should have added that the filter is now all paper -no metal or plastic. Also the housing is all metal and only need to replace a large o-ring around the top and a small one on the shaft/bolt that holds the top on. All o-rings and metal washer comes with the filter in a kit that cost about $9 at the dealer or about $6 on-line.

If you used an aftermarket filter, the o rings may not have been quite the right size. "Close enough" seems to be a high enough standard with many aftermarket parts companies...I learned that lesson with a cheapo chain parts store fan clutch for a Jeep Cherokee yesterday.

Make sure the area where the o rings go is clean. If it is, try another filter.

When I worked at a quick lube, standard practice was to just replace the big o ring on the cap. At the time, few cars had cartridge filters aside from BMWs, and 99% of the cartridge filter cars we serviced were BMWs. We never replaced the small o ring, only the big one on the filter's "cap." We never torqued down the bolt, snug always worked. I don't remember any of those cars ever coming back for a problem.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
If you used an aftermarket filter, the o rings may not have been quite the right size. "Close enough" seems to be a high enough standard with many aftermarket parts companies...I learned that lesson with a cheapo chain parts store fan clutch for a Jeep Cherokee yesterday.

When I worked at a quick lube, standard practice was to just replace the big o ring on the cap. At the time, few cars had cartridge filters aside from BMWs, and 99% of the cartridge filter cars we serviced were BMWs. We never replaced the small o ring, only the big one on the filter's "cap." We never torqued down the bolt, snug always worked. I don't remember any of those cars ever coming back for a problem.

snug is way I tighten-never torque. Replace the small o-ring every time becasue itit there and I am working on my car. :)

I haven't messed with an oil filter in this specific application... so this may or may not apply. But in the cartridge-style oil filters and fuel filters that I'd replaced, the things to watch are as follows:

1. Make sure it's the correct seal/o-ring
2. Make sure the o-ring is placed correctly
3. If the o-ring has to slide into place in some manner, lube it
4. Don't cut the oring- if it doesn't FEEL right, then stop and figure out what's going wrong.
5. Don't overtighten- overtightening generally doesn't help an o-ring seal.
I'd bet your failure involves one of these.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

snug is way I tighten-never torque. Replace the small o-ring every time becasue itit there and I am working on my car. :)

I completely agree, and if I were my own car I'd always replace the small o ring...but at the quick lube spending an extra couple of minutes messing around with the small o ring would get you yelled at, so it usually just stayed where it was.

Easiest cartridge filters: Ecotec, recent Mercedes, recent BMW.

Porsche Boxsters are also very easy. Smart cars are as well.

New Hyundais have an underhood cartridge also easy, but you have to take the engine cover off (6 bolts).

Old Mercedes sometimes have it near the firewall and it's hard to get there with the steep grille on the hood. Old BMWs have it in the drivers side front in a remote location, sometimes you need one person to hold the housing down and one person to open the cap.

Hardest: Porsche Cayennes have a two piece engine splash guard that has something like 18 bolts in four different sizes to get to it. Audi/VW cartridges are a pain. But so are their spin-ons. Mazda 2.3L is very messy. Splash guard doesn't like coming off without bolts breaking and the access hole through it is positioned off center.

Mini Coopers are very troublesome, you have to be very careful with them.

I hated the PF1072's for the late 80s-early 90s Iron Duke 2.5's. They make such a mess! I'm glad GM moved to the 2200 for the '93-'96 model A-bodies!

My 2005 M3 2.3 used the cartridge filter, on the first oil change I did the conversion to the spin on filter which is used on the 2.0. Didnt want the chance of the thin cheap plastic canister to crack, why they didn't use metal or a heavier plastic? reminds me of the filters from the 50's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back