Mercon V replacement for Mercon in Transfer Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I know the chart has been updated, but there are still many (albeit, in the diesel community) including many from Ford that state that Mercon V is damaging to the 4R100. This may only apply to HD apps, but is something to consider.

um no, its not something to consider. that has been superseded. if you go to the real FSM, its not even there anymore as it is old information.

Since you work at Ford, how about you ask the guys that do the tranny services/rebuilds about it? I'd like to know. As I said, there is a big controversy regarding Mercon V and this transmission.

our trans tech said Mercon V in everything that calls for it, no problems whatsoever. he said if people are having problems with using Mercon V then they dont know what they are doing.

but in all honesty, we don't get a lot of 4r100's in our shop. they are all in trucks that are too old. we mostly see a lot of torqueshifts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
our trans tech said Mercon V in everything that calls for it, no problems whatsoever. he said if people are having problems with using Mercon V then they dont know what they are doing.

He may need to talk to the Diesel guys then
wink.gif
LOL!

I've never used th stuff, so I can't say anything.

Mercon V fluids produced in the last couple years have been formulated to be backwards compatible with Mercon-specific applications. Initially this wasn't the case, and that's where the problems stem from.

The Motorcraft Mercon V was reformulated in 2007, around the time they began to phase out their Mercon specific ATF.

Regarding the Motorcraft brand, the new black bottle Mercon V can be used in Mercon applications, the old red bottle Mercon V can't be.

Here's the TSB: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/dealer/tsb/06144.pdf

I've seen the old red bottle Mercon V still in stock at some dealerships, so it's something that you need to be aware of when purchasing Mercon V fluid for a Mercon application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back