Mercon V in Jeep transfer case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am preparing to get rid of my 97 Ford Explorer, which will leave me with a good supply of Mercon V fluid that I never got around to using. I'm proposing to use it in the transfer case of the 02 Jeep Liberty, since that is a NP 231, part-time box with no clutches.

Am I OK to go this way ? What say you ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dkcase
NP 231, part-time box with no clutches.

That was the answer. What was the question?

Sell or give your MerconV to anyone with a Ford that takes it. My friend's '97 F-150 and his son's '04 Exploder use the stuff.

Find a youngster with a garage (who you think would use it correctly) and give it to him.

Didn't Ford have some problems with Mercon V in transfer cases? There's something in the composition that doesn't work in Ford transfer cases. It may just be a Ford thing, but I'd check it out before I made a mistake.
YouTube " Ford tech makuloco'" and see his warning about it.

Regarding those who cautioned its use in transfer cases.. right, I know there was some issue. The 97 Explorer in fact, using Mercon V in the trans still called for Mercon in the transfer case.

Thanks everybody.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
NP231 absolutely won't care what's in it , as long as it's not too heavy. I've used Mercon V, Dex VI and Dwx III.

This is what I thought, but wasn't sure. Novak Conversions Co. reports many use a motor oil instead, and this was recommended at a Jeep forum too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back