Calcium 19

Barium
Magnesium
Antimony
Vanadium

T/S % vol.
Water % vol.
cSt@40*C 29.4

lab comment: Analysis indicates acceptable conditions for a "pre-trend" sample.

The ATF was not changed at sample. Looking for a suitable ATF and time to spill ATF all over my car port.

No problems noted with transmission. I just do not believe in OEM lifetime fill. I suspect lifetime fill means life of the warranty or OEM liability anyway.

Any suggestions on the change interval or fluid used.

Comments? Suggestions?

While I can't comment on the ATF analysis I will say that a COMPLETE ATF change every 30,000 miles or 3 years, that includes what's in the torque convertor along with what's in the pan is preferable. If you don't want to drain the torque convertor then you can drop and empty just the pan every 12,000 miles or once a year. You'll only get 1/3 to 1/2 the ATF out. But adding new fluid on a consistant basis to the old fluid will at least help rejuvinate it. I don't know of any preferable Mercon V brand fluid so I just use the Motorcraft Mercon V because it works well. I have the dealer do a flush every 30,000 miles or 3 years. No problems and it does shift better after the new fluid is in it. It shifted fine before the fluid change but you still notice an improvement afterwards. At the price of a new tranny it's far cheaper to maintain it with regular fluid changes. Either total change every 30,000 mi. or 3 years or pan drop and refill every 12,000 mi or 1 year.

Whimsey

Neil,

Factory crud and wear metals are showing up and the calcium and phosphorus loevels are showing signs of depletion.

I would take Whimsey's advice and start changing out the fluid now, even if it is 3-5 quarts at a time.

Chevron, Pennzoil or any other major brand of Mercon V should be suitable. Drop pan and change filter if it is accessible.

If you can't remove the fluid through the dipstick, lift front end of car on jacks and loosen pan bolts. Start at the rear and work around. Loosen rear bolts more than front bolts and pry pan from case. Let fluid at rear of pan drain out of pan before loosening front bolts and dropping pan completely. Saves a lot of spill and cleanup.

[ December 09, 2003, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

A fellow F150 driver!

I've changed the tranny fluid in my 01 twice now, every 30K according to the manual. The manual states that the fluid is a lifetime fill for regular service, but is to be drained at 30K for severe service. In the North East here, all driving conditons are severe, with our bad roads, worse drivers and crazy weather.

The truck responded well each time I changed the fluid, but I prefer the performance of the actual Motorcraft Mercon V. I've got 14K on the Motorcraft fluid and it performs just like new. It was about $2.70 a quart at the dealer, which is a good deal too.

The torque converter has a tiny drain plug on it and when you drop the pan, you should be able to drain 13 of the 14 qrts in the system. I bought a drain plug for the pan which saves bathing in ATF. Best $5 I ever spent. But get a good one with a good seal. Mine had a useless O ring on the plug, which ripped and leaked. I cut a new gasket out of an old ATF bottle, and haven't had a leak since.

97 F150,4.2V6,4R70W trans,94K miles
Bought used at 64k miles,I pulled the pan and installed a B&M drain plug and also drained the converter too.Went back with AAMCO synthetic blend MerconV fluid.Since then I have done this procedure two more times.Iknow,it might be overkill but it will save my tranny in the long run!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back